Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Interview Dilemna


Replies to: Interview Dilemna

  • oscar63oscar63 Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    I think she should interview, I too have a musician and understand the time constraints.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    If it's a safety, then she should be able to politely decline the interview with no consequence. Otherwise it is not a safety and she needs another safety.
  • DoinResearchDoinResearch Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    It's not just an hour or 20 minutes, is it? It's having to prepare for the interview as well. It's where knowing your kid is what's most important, if they're so stressed with everything going on this holiday season, maybe not interviewing is OK.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,038 Senior Member
    We had musician kids here too...with very busy schedules with concerts. One was also on the swim team which also was on during December.

    The kid still found time to do a phone interview with a School who contacted her.

    Is this kid auditioning as a music major? If so...she is applying to too many colleges.
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 852 Member
    Don't mean any offense- I don't feel like I am asking advice for time management advice here. We have some challenges other families don't have and I don't want to share them in this particular forum. The interviewer did not offer a phone or skype interview as of yet. My D did respond though.

    A few schools for music (giving it her best shot) the rest are LACs. It's not the best scenario but a bit of a compromise.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,038 Senior Member
    It will all work out.
  • LoisLane100LoisLane100 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    I think, if possible, provide some times she could make herself available (be it phone or face to face). If the school contacts one for an interview? Not interviewing may reflect poorly. If she wasn't contacted and there was no interview that is different. But since she was contacted it puts her in the unfortunate position of either having a very good reason why she can't interview or looking uninterested by passing it up.

    For what is worth, my son interviewed at his EA school last month. He was contacted by the school asking if he wanted to interview. They sent him an email with a schedule of times available. It turned out to be a really positive experience.

  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 32,041 Senior Member
    All the interview prep my kids did was talking at dinner about possible questions and reminding them to give firm handshakes.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,831 Senior Member
    If she is so busy she can't find 15-20 minutes, she is too busy. Read the Stressed out Kids thread


    All that busy-ness is self imposed. Honestly, drop some of the 15 applications. She can't be running 24/7 because she'll get ill. That's too many it takes too much time to organize and keep up with and I think she won't do a good job on any of them because she is spread too thin.

    But as to the 'safely' interview, just have her text back that she unable to do an interview until after the holidays because of concert commitments. The school may not care but it is a chance you take (I personally think they won't care, but I'm not making the decision).
  • millie210millie210 Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    Does the school consider demonstrated interest as a factor? If it does, she should definitely find the time for an interview. She’s applying EA, not ED. They know she’s not committed as she would be if she were applying ED and they can probably figure out that they’re a safety. Not being interested enough to find time for an interview (would she find time if it were her first choice school?) could lead them to reject or defer her on the grounds that she’s very unlikely to attend.
  • LoisLane100LoisLane100 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN Registered User Posts: 5,457 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,608 Senior Member
    For early action I would think demonstrating interest would be important, but clearly this school is not a priority for your daughter. It does seem that turning down an interview will give that message, but perhaps that is fine with her.

    I am a little confused. Is she applying to conservatories/schools of music, meaning BM programs? As well as colleges without BM's?

    If a lot of those 15 schools have auditions, she might want to cut some- speaking from experience.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,365 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    If demonstrated interest is a serious factor then it's not a safety. An application should demonstrate sufficient interest. A safety means that a properly filled out application will result in an admission. Every student should have at least one but probably two so that they have a school to reject in April.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,608 Senior Member
    Sorry I missed the post about her applying to both music schools and colleges. I have a kid who did this to keep options open, but she did 2 colleges and 4 music schools, and believe me, that was quite enough. We also had financial constraints so she chose those schools wisely. She could never have handled 15 applications.

    Most music schools have deadlines of Dec. 1 for prescreens. So the recordings going on during December are in addition to prescreen recordings or perhaps the music schools she is applying to have later deadlines?
This discussion has been closed.