Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tufts postpones Scaramucci talk after he threatens to sue student

OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
Hmm. Sounds like we have a case of the proposed speaker, not the students, chilling free speech here.
Tufts University is postponing a talk by Anthony Scaramucci, who was briefly a spokesman for President Trump, after he threatened to sue a student who wrote an unflattering opinion piece about him in the student newspaper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/11/27/tufts-postpones-scaramucci-talk-after-he-threatens-to-sue-student/

Replies to: Tufts postpones Scaramucci talk after he threatens to sue student

• CorinthianCorinthian Registered User Posts: 1,838 Senior Member
    FIRE says Scaramucci's defamation claims are baseless and intended to chill speech, plus they backfire and essentially have a Streisand effect drawing greater attention to the Tuft student's opinion piece. https://www.thefire.org/former-white-house-communications-director-anthony-scaramucci-threatens-tufts-student-newspaper-over-opinion-piece/
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    Why was he even invited? I see he's on a board there but does he actually have any intellectual or cultural value to add to a university community?
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    He WAS on the board there...he resigned today @romanigypsyeyes . But the article describes what led to his invitation. He asked if he could speak -
    Banker said she was in class not long after the first opinion piece was published when she was startled to receive an email from Scaramucci, asking to be invited to campus. She said she spoke with administrators, and they agreed to host a moderated discussion between Scaramucci and the Fletcher student body.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Wow I actually did read the article (how I found about him being on the board) and somehow skipped right over that. Apparently reading for prelims have finally killed my reading brain.

It's still weird to me that they honored his request. He's just not relevant. If you want a moderated discussion, bring in someone (even if controversial) who has a richer body of work in whatever X topic is.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    From the FIRE article posted by Corinthian -
    Such threats present a chilling choice to the student and the newspaper: pay tremendous costs to defend their right to publish an opinion piece, or apologize for offending someone who can pay that cost.

Indeed.
  • Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 895 Member
    What was the over/under on the number of f-bombs he’d drop?
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,472 Forum Champion
    edited November 2017
    Why was he even invited? I see he's on a board there but does he actually have any intellectual or cultural value to add to a university community?

Of course he does, just because he probably disagrees with you politically doesn't mean he lacks heft in the larger culture. He is an alum who has had a great deal of success in private life and a brief but, um, colorful turn in the political spotlight. Limiting speech available to university students to just those who meet some ideological litmus test is antiethical to the foundation of our society and the entire western history of intellectual inquiry. To butcher one of my favorite free speech quotes from a man with the all time best judge's name, Learned Hand; "The first amendment presupposes that the right conclusions are more likely to be drawn from a multitude of voices rather than any type of authoritative selection. To many this is, and always has been, folly. But upon it we have staked our all."

On the larger question, there is not much to say. Saramucci is an idiot for threatening to sue a kid for a basic leftist opinion attack piece, and Tufts was wrong to pull his invitation. Let everybody have their say. The idiots always show themselves.
    Post edited by skieurope on
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe he thought suing the student in advance would help his moderated discussion with her. Unfortunately for him, Tufts saw it through.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 43,611 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    A reminder to keep politics out of the discussion. Trump-bashing, as an example, is not allowed.
This discussion has been closed.