Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Help for student abandoned by his family

Replies to: Help for student abandoned by his family

• TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,554 Senior Member
    Check to see if there is a Covenant House near the school.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2017
    Try looking at Campus Pride. They list scholarships and resources for LGBT students and advice on how to obtain a FAFSA dependency override. https://www.campuspride.org

https://www.campuspride.org/resources/how-to-obtain-a-fafsa-dependency-override-for-lgbtq-college-students/
  • IBviolamomIBviolamom Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    I wish I could take him in. But both his school and his home are far away. I don’t know if his parents would flat out refuse to let him live at home but I imagine he does not want to live with them anymore. Honestly, I think in their ignorance of transgender issues, they thought that this would somehow make him “change his mind” about being trans.

Fortunately, he does have some more supportive relatives. I wonder if perhaps he will move in with them and go to a local community college and work to put himself through school. I have no doubt that he has the smarts and the resilience to do this. But I wish this hadn’t happened to him. :(
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,425 Senior Member
    Did he just decide he would come out in college? He didn't consider this outcome at all? He had no counselling or guidance and just dropped that bomb on his parents? Let's look at the medical insurance from a less petty aspect and consider the kid had maybe talked about surgical options already, that would be a terrifying threat from an 18 yr old on your insurance. The parents may have no idea what his rights are and their obligations are in this scenario.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 2,710 Senior Member
    He could probably join AmeriCorps, the domestic version of the peace corps, for a year or two to provide some safe structure, skills, and time to grow up, and then reassess his education options when he leaves that.
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 3,906 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    @Sybylla Yes it was not at all smart to come out at a vulnerable and unprepared time. His number one focus should be finding a place to live so he is not homeless.

@IBviolamom At this point he only has to focus on not being homeless. Education can wait.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    Americorps is a great idea but also competitive.

He may find a place to live --
    1) youth hostels nearby. They can be as cheap as $35 per night
    2) workaway.info -- these are "volunteer" positions, where you get "free" room and sometimes a meal in exchange for 4 hours of work a day
    3) Put up a sign at campus to see if faculty need a house sitter while they go away for vacation

https://www.workaway.info/
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    Also he may want to consider applying for internships and programs with SCA--they offer housing--
    https://www.thesca.org/serve/young-adult-programs

Also volunteer.gov has positions with housing -- https://www.volunteer.gov/
    Not excusing the behavior, but it is consistent with the parents stated wish to not support their offspring in any way. Perhaps they are self insured or self employed and thus it could have a big impact on their insurance. On the positive side, this is a healthy young adult able to work and unencumbered by dependents or debt, so hopefully should be able to be self supporting soon.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,267 Senior Member
    He is in his first semester. How many credits will he have, 12, 15?

Wil he be considered a freshman still by some schools like UAH?

What were his high school GPA and test scores?

I agree he will need to finish this semester and withdraw from his current school for next semester. And find a place to live and a job.
    I don't think it is helpful to characterize him as a victim. He's simply an adult who has lost the privileged position of being supported by other adults, and must make his way in the world. Very hard, but very common. There must be 300,000 adults between 18-21 in the US military who are supporting themselves today. They manage, and so will he.
This discussion has been closed.