right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Medical Insurance for Graduate Student

Replies to: Medical Insurance for Graduate Student

• bluebayoubluebayou 26529 replies172 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,701 Senior Member
    OP: Covered California might be your best option, but one other thing to investigate is whether your current employer plan will allow you to pay her COBRA fees pre-tax. (Not all plans allow this, but ours does.) If so, depending on your tax bracket, the net costs might be comparable to CC or to the school's grad insurance offerings.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73025 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,204 Senior Member
    I meant Medicaid expansion.

I thought you could only do that in expansion states.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73025 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,204 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    @calmom

Well...if her tuition waiver is going to be considered income...she will far exceed the eligibility for Medicaid in any event. But it’s not like she can pay insurance premiums with a tuition waiver!

And NO she is not considered a school employee so she is not eligible for insurance coverage through thr school.

edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10579 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,655 Senior Member
    With UC grad school in our experience, tuition waiver is not considered income by MediCal. In any case the enrollment centers will sort this out in terms of Medicaid or an ACA plan. The real question is whether she is first required to take the SHIP.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 2017
    @compmom

The current tax proposal has tuition waivers as taxable income. So...what CA does could very well change if that happens.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 21930 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 21,944 Senior Member
    If the kid has no income, then he or she would qualify for Medicaid regardless of expansion or no expansion.

That isn't correct. The states that didn't expand medicaid do not offer medicaid to adults who do not have dependent children or meet some other criteria. There are 19 states that still haven't expanded medicaid to adults. Those who do not meet the income level needed for subsidies get nothing. Well, they get to pay in full for insurance if they want coverage.

There are hundreds of thousands of poor adults who are not covered in Florida, Georgia, Texas.... They don't have to pay the tax penalty (and probably wouldn't make enough to be taxed anyway), but they get no coverage.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10579 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,655 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Yeah hoping it fails ....for my daughter loss of Medicaid secondary will be disastrous due to high medical expenses. I have been calling my senators.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33158 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,924 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Tuition waivers are (currently) NOT used for Medicaid calculations.
    If the kid has no income, then he or she would qualify for Medicaid regardless of expansion or no expansion.

Absolutely NOT true. Unless your daughter is pregnant or the parent of a young child, she will not qualify for Medicaid in non-expansion states.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • rockymtnhighrockymtnhigh 1871 replies68 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,939 Senior Member
    When our daughter reached age 26 while in grad school, we went with the TCC temporary continuation of coverage which can be for 3 years. I believe it is the COBRA option which does not require preexisting illness info, etc.
    If available, this may be her smoothest option.
    · Reply · Share
    Romani with no income?
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33158 replies766 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 33,924 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    Romani with no income?

No. In non-expansion states, you cannot qualify as a healthy adult regardless of income. At least not as any kind of federal rule. There *may* be some state-level programs in non-expansion states but none that I am aware of for childless adults.

You can look up the specific medicaid requirements in whatever state:
    https://www.kff.org/medicaid/fact-sheet/where-are-states-today-medicaid-and-chip/

ETA: Apparently Wisconsin is an exception. I have no idea what their state-level program is for childless adults.
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek 4467 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,522 Senior Member
    There might be drs in her area who charge on a sliding scale based on income. Our ds is turning 26 and his company offers crappy insurance ($6000 deductible for someone making not much above minimum wage.) We live in a state with no adult Medicaid. We have found out that there are several drs and a hospital in the area that charge based on income.
    · Reply · Share
    @compmom

If you have a kiddo with some kind of disability, they might be able to get Medicaid in a non expansion state.

But kids like mine...healthy but in a non expansion state...can NOT do so.
    · Reply · Share
  • artloversplusartloversplus 8397 replies241 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,638 Senior Member
    We are looking into medi-cal, California is an expansion state.

Any tips for Medical-cal application?
    · Reply · Share
  • rosered55rosered55 4164 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,288 Senior Member
    edited November 2017
    I think that in Wisconsin, one can qualify for Badgercare Plus (the state-sponsored health insurance program) as a childless adult if one's income is under $12,000 per year. I'm not sure what the premiums are (if any).
    edited November 2017
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity