right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Medical Insurance for Graduate Student

13»

Replies to: Medical Insurance for Graduate Student

  • compmomcompmom 11706 replies81 threads Senior Member
    My daughter is having a lot of trouble with her Medi-cal insurance in terms of coverage They somehow failed to pay for some important life-sustaining supplies and now the manufacturer has blocked her account. Medi-Cal only covers 20% of the cost. We offered to pay that 20% while the insurance co. figures things out, but it is not legally allowed for the manufacturer to charge a Medicaid client. So she cannot get the supplies, and we can't pay for them.

    These are supplies COVERED by the plan but they are not paying. I have spent 5 hours a day for three days on this and am getting nowhere.

    We are considering dropping Medi-Cal so she can get her supplies. Seriously. It will cost us $3,000 but she NEEDS the supplies.

    Sorry this is a bit of a tangent but I have PTSD and this thread triggered me!!!!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78248 replies3524 threads Senior Member
    I hear you @compmom

    While Medicaid expansion would have been free for our kid....we were willing to pay the cost of this United HealthCare PPO which the school offered. It has a wide national network...and decent coverage...but yes...it’s several thousand dollars a year.

    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11706 replies81 threads Senior Member
    Just to be clear, my kid HAS her grad school- provided insurance. The Medi-cal is secondary and only pays 20% remaining after her PPO pays 80%. She has type 1 diabetes and wears both a pump and a CGM and even with BC/BD's 80% coverage, ends up paying at least $3k for her diabetes supplies.

    Again, she has the insurance the school offers. It might be decent coverage for you but it isn't for a person with type 1. So she added Medi-cal (with a lot of effort) and now she would be better off without that because she CANNOT get any supplies right now due to bureaucracy.

    As a side note, if they ever get rid of protections for preexisting conditions, she's dead.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78248 replies3524 threads Senior Member
    @compmom

    Oh brother!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity