right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Do you see any safety schools on DD's list? Please help a stressed parent

Replies to: Do you see any safety schools on DD's list? Please help a stressed parent

• twogirlstwogirls 7003 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    OP what is your daughter looking for in a school, besides premed? The reason why I ask is because some of these schools differ significantly from one another....
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1682 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,696 Senior Member
    Elon , Wilmington, NC State should be safeties. Davidson and Wake Forest are good matches but you just never know. She should be competitive there (S is a freshmen at Wake and LOVES it- similar stats and lots of leadership).

UNC CH OOS is a reach. Hard to decipher the scores match for OOS . You should assume admitted OOS are at the very top of the scale as they are vying for far fewer spots with way more applications. Duke is a far reach. It's amazing how many perfect scores and 4.0s don't get in.

Make the essays OUTSTANDING!
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1682 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,696 Senior Member
    Make sure she interviews at Wake - very important!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73025 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,204 Senior Member
    I know it’s not all that close...but what about College of Charleston?
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10579 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,655 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    My personal view is that it is not wise to make college choices based on premed goals. One, many high schoolers want to be doctors but end up changing their minds. Two, you can major in anything and go to med school (with prereq's covered at college or a post bacc program.) Few schools have an actual "premed" program of course.

Davidson is a phenomenal school and I hope that issues of grade deflation don't keep it out of the spot on her list that it deserves. Just my opinion :)
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • porcupine98porcupine98 1593 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,620 Senior Member
    She’s in play, @84stag but Duke is inherently a reach because of their admit rate. Maybe Davidson too. The others probably matches/safeties but that only works if she’s happy with them as options.
    · Reply · Share
  • websensationwebsensation 2047 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,084 Senior Member
    Except for Duke, she should get into all other schools. I would be surprised if she doesn't get into all other schools but Duke. Even Duke, I would say she has good chance if her essays are good.
    · Reply · Share
  • twogirlstwogirls 7003 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Duke is a reach for everybody. Davidson may be a reach, and UNC is a reach due to this students OOS status. The rest of the schools on this students list appear to be safeties and/or matches.

As I said earlier.... some of these schools are so different from one another that once accepted, the student will have to determine fit.

edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Houston1021Houston1021 1029 replies11 discussionsForum Champion Rice Posts: 1,040 Forum Champion
    edited December 2017
    Why no schools in Ohio if that is her state of residence? Kenyon is another liberal arts school if she likes Davidson and Elon. Ohio State also comes to mind as a big state school safety..
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41137 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,582 Senior Member
    Ohio U's Tutorial College is good to look into, too. Miami Ohio is probably the closest thing to Duke there is in Ohio. :D Or will you be moving to NC?
    · Reply · Share
  • turtle17turtle17 183 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    I'm confused why Davidson would be a reach (post #23). From what I've seen her scores above the 25% line. That sort of defines match to me.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2017
    I don't know if it's a reach or not.... which is why I wrote "may." It has a 20% acceptance rate.
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • porcupine98porcupine98 1593 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,620 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    @turtle17 It's a reach because Davidson accepts only 20% of their applicants. Having scores above the 25% line is no guarantee of admission for a school that's that selective. (I know a match doesn't mean guaranteed, but I don't even think it's 50-50.) If she were over the 25% line in a school that accepted 60-70 percent of applicants, different story.
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • Viking00Viking00 6 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you all for your input! DD has started her application for UNC-W Honors program. I have asked her to take virtual tours at the other schools recommended since we will not be able to take her for a visit before the application deadline - hopefully that'll help narrow things down.

@rickle1, she is scheduled for a Skype interview with Wake this Wednesday, keeping my fingers crossed that it'll go well!

@twogirls, she is very interested in research opportunities and service projects.

@Houston1021 @MYOS1634, we are moving to Raleigh soon after she graduates. My husband moved in August due to his company relocating.
    · Reply · Share
    Keep us posted and best of luck.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity