Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do you see any safety schools on DD's list? Please help a stressed parent

13»

Replies to: Do you see any safety schools on DD's list? Please help a stressed parent

• Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 1,035 Forum Champion
    edited December 2017
    Good Luck! My in laws live in Durham. It is a beautiful area. Davidson takes a large portion of its class ED. https://www.davidson.edu/admission-and-financial-aid/class-of-2021-profile
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 1,680 Senior Member
    Looking back through the thread, you may want to consider other solid matches like Richmond and William & Mary (also challenging OOS but I think her stats make her very competitive). These would give you a school a little smaller and a little larger than Wake Forest but very similar in that they are focused on the undergraduate experience (virtually no TAs teaching classes, residential focus - almost everyone lives on campus which creates a natural inclusive dynamic, intimate professor / student relationship). That said, they have different feels. All beautiful! All similarly priced and very little realistic merit aid. Just a thought.
  • buddyparentbuddyparent Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    If your daughter loved Davidson and Wake, have her also apply to Furman, Wofford and W & L. They are all within 4 hours. They have a similar atmosphere, excellent academics, great results for med school acceptances, and she is likely to get in all of them. She ought to get into Wake but UNC is a toss up. Their 18% OOS limit makes it hard and without a hook, it is at best a 50/50 shot. If there is any way to argue the residency, try. If she were in state, she would be a definite. Duke is a reach.
  • nightcrawler1nightcrawler1 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I know this has probably already been mentioned, but UNCW is practically a guarantee from an admit standpoint. Rest easy!
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 3,014 Senior Member
    As a former recipient of a "Scholar Athlete" award (in the preceding millenium) I am rooting for your DD's success. I think she has excellent chances at all of the colleges on her list. She's doing what she can do. I'd be content if my own kids had gone to most of those colleges, but I'd be rooting for either UNC-CH, Duke, or the liberal arts colleges above all.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    I would think that the only reason she might not get into Elon is yield protection. Her stats are far above those of any of the kids I've known who went there. If she wants to keep it as an option, showing interest would be a good idea. I see she is doing that at Wake, which is smart. If Elon has a travelling rep she can meet, that might be an idea.

But she definitely has a well-rounded list.
  • Viking00Viking00 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thanks for all your kind words :)

So, DD had her Skype interview with Wake Forest yesterday. She was well prepared. The interview lasted 17 minutes and she felt it went well.

Now, my concern is that she was interviewed by a senior student and not an admissions officer. Is that the norm? Or am I over analyzing?
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,494 Forum Champion
    Some colleges do have trained senior students doing interviews. It doesn't mean a thing.
This discussion has been closed.