Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cheap school = "trashy" dorm life?

Replies to: Cheap school = "trashy" dorm life?

• CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 695 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm curious: how does your daughter feel about this? What are her preferences?
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,603 Senior Member
    Yes, the post college world does include some irresponsible people, but nowhere near on the level of what occurs in some college dorms. I lived in many apartments for many years as a young adult. I never had to step over vomit, or pools of urine, or passed out bodies in an apartment, though I did all those things at an Ivy dorm. I never had fellow residents damage the apartment building or pull fire alarms for fun as in a dorm.Try to find a living learning community of like minded students or pick your dorm carefully.
  • Josie5Josie5 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    She is really still considering all her options - - they're all on the table as the decisions and scholarships offers are coming in. As she said to me " I like my high school friends, but I wouldn't want to live with them". She's always leaned towards living at home (maybe just for the first year or two), but then I am concerned about the drawbacks of that. (not making friends during that first year, lack of scholarship $$ if she is a transfer student later).
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,545 Senior Member
    I second trusting your young adult. We get them for the first 18 years and after that they really need to figure all this out on their own. If they chose to socialize or stay in their room all day/night then that is the choice they made. It is their life to live. Not ours. They need to choose their own path.

Hard to do as parents but healthy for the child.

Maybe your blessed and will be able to afford sending your student off to college. Many of us here simply cannot afford it.
  • CTmom2018CTmom2018 Registered User Posts: 695 Member
    If her grades are high enough for her to qualify for merit scholarships, that is certainly a big consideration.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,786 Forum Champion
    If your child is in the honors college there is often less trashy behavior in the honors dorm.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,580 Senior Member
    Since it appears that the OP is in Indiana, perhaps most relevant is the party scene at the flagships (Indiana and Purdue) as far as public residential options go.