Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Even at elite colleges, students go hungry

MastadonMastadon Registered User Posts: 1,583 Senior Member

What happens when even ramen noodles are out of reach?

It’s a problem that elite colleges across the country are now confronting, as a significant share of students are unable to afford even basic staples and find themselves skipping meals.

As an example, last year, an MIT student survey revealed that about 10% of the undergraduates reported going to bed hungry at least once in the previous week because they lacked money for food....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/04/even-elite-colleges-students-going-hungry/GMDfGe89ocg31Fm1cmzR2J/story.html

Replies to: Even at elite colleges, students go hungry

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,435 Super Moderator
    Interesting set of one-off examples quoted in the MIT info. I have trouble understanding some of the self inflicted problems there - parents not paying the EFC, students not talking to parents about needed care after a sexual assault, needing to pay for classes to get back into MIT. Since MIT meets full need food really shouldn't be a problem there.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,435 Super Moderator
    I believe all the schools that meet need also include Board with their offers. Perhaps I'm wrong.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,621 Senior Member
    How many of these students have a part time job, 10-15 hours a week?
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
    @TomSrOfBoston the data compares motivation for working but not raw numbers

https://www.thetech.com/photos/8287
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I've met many very strapped MIT students. These students do what they need to do.

I had to quit my job while at MIT. I had to basically work on school every waking hour. My frat had 17 meals per week. I ate leftovers for the others.

I have had MIT interns turn down our summer offers even though they were the best opportunities work wise because every dollar lower than the maximum offer they had was money they would otherwise have to borrow.
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal Registered User Posts: 2,763 Senior Member
    I was on financial aid at a private college and I skipped some meals due ot money being short.. Honestly, it wasn't the worst thing I ever went through.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,505 Senior Member
    ^ D's school finds that an issue too @Massmomm , though the dorms do not close on breaks (which is already unusual and very helpful to those students who cannot go home or do not have one), the dining hall does, or goes to just a meal a day (with stuff that can be taken with the student for the next meal). .

Some schools give dining vouchers that can be used in the town, make sure a kitchen stays open and stocked with pans and such.