Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Justice Department Investigates Early-Decision Admissions

Replies to: Justice Department Investigates Early-Decision Admissions

• bhs1978bhs1978 Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    So I thought if you are accepted ED you are expected to withdraw other applications. How would the school know if you did that without sharing information.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 2,881 Senior Member
    If the schools share information of the type being sought by the US Dept. of Justice, seems like it would be a clear violation of the Sherman Act (antitrust law).
  • USCWolverineUSCWolverine Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    Interesting article, OP. Thanks for sharing.

My prediction re ED: As admission into America's elite colleges gets more insanely competitive every year (it was already ridiculously competitive many years ago, but now I'd say "insanely competitive" is more accurate a description) more and more kids will apply ED. Sadly, even ED admission rates are already so low at T-20 type schools...
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 17,774 Senior Member
    edited April 8
    All they have to do is announce the names and home towns of those accepted. "Harvard University is pleased to announce the following students have been accepted ED for the class of 2022."
  • MrElonMuskMrElonMusk Registered User Posts: 1,218 Senior Member
    @midwestsahm Students are allowed to apply as many EA schools as they wish unless there are restrictions, such as applying to ED schools or Single Choice Early Action.
  • midwestsahmmidwestsahm Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    edited April 8
    The best private schools are all SCEA. That's what I was referring to. Sorry for confusion.
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    Only Caltech and MIT practice genuine unrestricted EA and applicants can also apply to another private school ED or EA at the same time if they wish. Georgetown and Notre Dame have a more restrictive form of EA that prohibits an applicant from applying to another private school ED at the same time. Stanford, Harvard, Yale and Princeton have an even more restrictive form of EA (REA/SCEA) that prohibits an applicant from applying to another private school ED or EA at the same time. In all cases, there's no restriction to apply to a public school EA. Some ED schools may prohibit applicants from applying to another private school EA (in all forms) but most allow it as long as the applicant agree to enroll if admitted even if s/he is also accepted by other EA schools. Every ED school prohibits applicants from applying to another ED school.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,240 Senior Member
    I think SCEA is worse than ED. I'm glad only a couple colleges have that situation.

I agree with the poster. All the ED colleges would have to do is publish a congratulatory list of ED acceptances and then they aren't colluding with each other. Although I would think the number of families that cheat the system and apply to multiple ED colleges are few and far between and preventing cheating for less than honorable people doesn't seem that far fetched. I don't really see the harm in other colleges knowing what a student's first choice college (which ED is and means) is harmful. Ed is first and foremost an honor agreement between one family and one college. If they are dishonorable than that is a risk the student and family assume. If they aren't accepted ED then they can be picked up by another college that wants them or is willing to look the other way regarding the honor code. I'm unsure what caused the Justice Department to investigate.
  • USCWolverineUSCWolverine Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    The biggest thing I've learned about ED (thanks to CC!) is actually how low the odds remain to get into certain non-Ivy T-20-30 schools via this program. Mind, I realize that a 20% chance of admission is a heckofa lot higher than an 8% chance, but we're still talking about 4 out of 5 kids getting rejected by the dream college via ED.

It is what it is.
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,085 Senior Member
    edited April 9
    The article said, "Katharine Fretwell, dean of admission and financial aid at Amherst College … says her school and about 30 other colleges share lists of students admitted through early decision. And Fretwell says she'd likely also share the names of students who were admitted via early decision, but who are not attending for financial aid and other reasons."

It looks like they are sharing information. If this ends up in court, ED and even other restrictive policies like REA/SCEA are likely to be ended.