Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tuition Exchange 2018

Replies to: Tuition Exchange 2018

• GurteenGurteen Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks for sharing moms. He will be applying to Fordham, Loyola MD, St. Joe's, Catholic and Villanova at minimum. Sounds like i should beef up his list.
  • psycholingpsycholing Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    Also I suggest you look into applying to colleges that are not TE but where his scores are in that higher range. As mentioned on previous TE threads, we received better offers from non TE schools than TE school -- if anything, we found that using TE was a distraction.

(Before people start writing in about how great TE is, let me say that I suspect TE outcomes may in part be affected by which school the faculty member works at. So if the parent is at a highly desirable TE participating school, the student may have a better TE outcome than we had.)
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,381 Senior Member
    First off, wow @psycholing that poodle mop top is pretty impressive! I dealt with two standards with matting the other night and it's not pretty.

I agree that the TE has complicated this already stressful process as it was our first filter in identifying schools. We did cast a super wide net to ensure that we have options come well...whenever they tell us I guess. That's the other problem - we will apply soon and find out relatively soon about some schools I imagine, but then we will wait what seems to be an eternity to know if we are one of the lucky ones.
  • psycholingpsycholing Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    @MAandMEmom You are actually the first one to notice the picture! I use a razor sharp dematting comb on his head hair -- that seems to do the trick. He does have a tendency to stick his nose into any kind of bur-bearing plant he can find, so that always creates some whimpers in the Fall. But poodles are worth it!

We actually didn't know for sure about TE until end of April. But I hope you are correct that you will find out earlier. My son ended up with a non-TE half tuition scholarship at Carnegie Mellon. We never would have expected better funding from there than the TE schools. He also applied to colleges abroad -- in Scotland. If we were to do it again I would have had him apply to McGill as well -- it is a great deal and I think they do have some merit money. Good luck.
  • goteam2goteam2 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Hi, I saw that too and called. They said that wasn't the case and not to pay attention to that. They were unsure why the percent had changed considering they had not voted on it yet and had no intentions of lowering it. Still it was worrisome to me.
    Hi...I mean I saw that the SU percentages had changed on the TE site. but they denied the change when I called.
    Syracuse actually called me house today;). Son is likely not applying as it’s probably too big for him and even if the TE is guaranteed they only provide set rate. Probably no stacking??
    Yes no stacking so set rate. So its still 35,000! I am waiting to see if I get it on my end. My institution usually does not have many to give to employees and they organize it sooooo late around December. I have seniority thank goodness but if there are too many of us they do a lottery drawing. I will make myself so nuts that day!!!
  • SLUProfSLUProf Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I found it really hard to compare all of the different colleges on tuition exchange, and I was worried that I wasn't looking at some of the colleges because I just didn't know about them.

I created this spreadsheet that has as much information as I could find about the 656 colleges. I know there are a lot of mistakes, but it is better than anything else I could find. Hope it is useful to some other people.

https://github.com/speegled/tuition_exchange/blob/master/data/final_data.csv
    Does anyone have any updates on applying? We submitted our TE app to ten schools. Is anyone reaching out to the liaison to make certain the connection is made between the admissions and TE app?
  • DJPGoebertDJPGoebert Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Nice thread. This is my third time through the process but second time where I feel like I know what I'm doing (as best you can anyway). As others have said, cast a wide net and you will want to have stats that are near/exceed the 75th percentiles to have a shot at most.

I'm fortunate to work for a home school that is TE desirable so I don't have to qualify to 'export out' and our liaison does all the online inputting once you submit the form/request for the schools your dependent in interested in.

My S19 works with his admission counselors but I work with the TE liaisons at the school. He applied to 7 TE schools and I have contacted each school's liaison to confirm interest and receipt of the TE app. I ask them for the best guess of the number of awarded scholarships, the criteria, and if any stacking is allowed for outside/other awards. Once he receives his acceptance (3 yes so far, 4 haven't heard from) I follow up to find out when they will be making a TE decision. He has one TE offer already but the others most likely will not occur for awhile still. That's the hardest part of the process. I warn him all the time not to fall in love with a school as he'll get in...but may not get the TE and we'll have to see if its financially reachable. He's relatively good at this but definitely has a #1 school so I'm hoping he gets in (very likely) and gets TE there.

Another thing to consider is the 'type' of school. My daughter's (D17) first choice school was a school that most in New England would consider a solid university but a backup choice for those who are chasing the prestige schools. She was 19 on the initial TE list for 5 scholarships. But...most of the kids above her must have accepted those offers to the prestige schools because they reached her...on May 1st. Was an exciting day to be sure. Just wanted to share that getting off the wait-list does happen sometimes.
  • ScarletRobinScarletRobin Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    edited December 2018
    Just commenting because I will be going through this process soon. Not sure if they will be starting a new thread any time soon, but will stay on this one while it is here.

(BTW, when we toured York College they said every student who applied last year for one, received a TE. Our campus liaison said U. Delaware is nearly impossible to receive. She also said the TE website is complete rubbish and to not believe any of the % granted statistics you see there.)
    We received one TE so far at a likely school. Likely based on his stats and not the info on the TE website. My S19 also received their highest merit at $27k. I haven’t contacted them yet about any option to stack as we haven’t gotten any others yet.

S19 isn’t applying to BU but D20 might and they told me they give a total of 10 so super competitive. My question down the road is whether it can be stacked with athletic dollars.
  • mamom24mamom24 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @Dolemite Do you happen to remember when USC let you know about TE?
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 2,038 Senior Member
    @mamom24 My D was accepted early and she got the email on 1/30 and I was copied. I seem to remember calling before that though once she was accepted and asking and that's how they got my email when they sent the official announcement. TE was valued at 80% of the current tuition at USC so for 17-18 that was $42,758.