Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tuition Exchange 2018

1235»

Replies to: Tuition Exchange 2018

• mageecrewmageecrew Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Congratulations to your son, @MAandMEmom ! That's awesome and such a relief, right? My hs senior daughter ended up applying for TE at University of Univ of Tampa, Fordham, Loyola Maryland, and Syracuse. She has gotten accepted at all but Syracuse so far (should hear by March). She has only heard about TE at Tampa and that was a no. They had told us, similar to Villanova in your post above, that they first give it to current students who haven't received it before and they most likely would not have any available for freshmen.

My daughter's scores and academic record are good (31 ACT, 33 superscore) but I think Loyola and Fordham (especially) are both kind of long shots. I know there are few spots available at each and many, many strong applicants. The good thing is that Syracuse still gives the TE scholarship to all who get in. We're crossing our fingers for her acceptance there as it's definitely on the top of her list.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,416 Senior Member
    Thanks @mageecrew it is a relief that they are starting to roll in. I think this week is a good time to start prodding the schools about timeframes?? At least that's my plan:).

We did think about Syracuse as well but then changed our minds because of the size. It's great that they are so supportive of the program -- I want to say they are a founding institution and that's why they offer to all students who are admitted.

We just heard this morning that kid received the TE at Clarkson, which is set rate but they gave him the full $10k additional merit so about full tuition.

We still have no regular decisions from Lafayette, Bucknell, Villanova, and GWU, all of which are pretty competitive even for admission no less the TE. My son is close stats-wise with a 34 ACT (two sittings with the same score, oh well). Each of them is probably unaffordable even with the TE, or rather probably "not worth it for the extra money category" for his program.

I'm a bit surprised that Tampa was a no given your daughter's stats but I bet Loyola (25-29) will be a yes. Fordham is right in the ballpark stats-wise with 27-31 on the ACT so hopefully that will be a yes as well (fingers-crossed for you!).
  • mamom24mamom24 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @Lemonlee TE is fairly tough at these schools, particularly Willamette where it is full tuition. Our oldest came off the wait list for TE at Puget Sound and went there. (Love that school!). He had A- average and quite strong SAT scores.. Did not get TE at L&C or WIllamette. Second son got TE at L&C but not the other two. Grades a bit higher, scores a bit lower. I do think it helps to reach out to the TE liaisons before decisions are made and to stay in touch if wait listed.
  • LemonleeLemonlee Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Thanks @mamom24! That is super helpful. Looks like it will be pretty much a pipe dream for the schools he is interested in but I guess that was what I was expecting. Really appreciate all the great advice on this thread!
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,416 Senior Member
    I would say that anything in excess of the 75% would be competitive. We are an ACT family so I know those scores best.

Puget Sound 25-30: 32 and up
    Willamette 24-30: 32 and up
    Lewis and Clark: 27-31: 33 and up

Just my two cents of course.

1235»