Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

Replies to: Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

• gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    At first I was against tours as I did not do them as a student. Nothing formal for sure. Heck I was only looking at two schools.

I have realized through some tours what my D is looking for in a school. She has the stats that if she applied to 8 to 10 selective schools that she would probably get into 1 or 2. What I have seen is that she doesn't want the experience from a selective school. Over the weekend we went to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. The vibe between the schools was night and day. After the hour plus presentation at CM she said nope let's go and we didn't do the tour. She did the same thing at Univ of Chicago. She loved Pitt. I think she wants a school that is 10-20K in enrollment compared to 5-7K. I think there is some more flexibility in the larger schools and some more opportunity to study abroad.

So in the end I think we have a better idea where she might want to go. Now it is all about making the $$$ work.
  • Boomer1964Boomer1964 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    D18 is about to head to OHIO STATE U and I can not emphasize how important it is to "officially" visit and tour a school A few of the schools where she got in did not offer any merit. I honestly believe that had she shown more interest, she would have gotten some merit from these schools . Once she was accepted at OSU and was offered a full tuition scholarship, her mind was pretty much made up. Both of the schools in question where academic matches and financial long shots and both offered funds to travel and visit after she was accepted...... Had she visited the schools, I think she would have gotten some form of merit or a more appealing financial package. Interest matters!

For every single one of you about to go through the process, my advice would be to enjoy it. Lots of bonding and fun takes place out of these fact finding trips. But by the end of day, you should all do your homework BEFORE going on these tours. There is no reason why anyone should be visiting a school where your student is not going to be able to get admitted or be able to afford. Lots of great information on these boards. I myself learned a lot and the information on these boards is priceless.

My son is entering 11th grade and we are already 'mapping" his path. He wants to visit a few schools this Fall and combine some tours with a football game. I think this is an excellent idea. Knowing some of his stats, I am able to figure out a few schools of interest. But without any type of ACT/SAT score in hand, we are just going to visit what I believe will be both academic and financial matches.
  • ChillDadChillDad Registered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    At an info. session at Mt. Holyoke, the student presenter started her conversation with "I eschew the use of all pronouns." All I could think about was the line from the Wizard of Oz - "We aren't in Kansas anymore." A laudable yet lackluster commentary about the student's work in sustainable studies ensued. (Full disclosure - for better or worse, I am an ROI guy and my D had some trepidation about a single gender institution). Luckily, the tour guide, an effervescent young lady, salvaged my D's impression of the school by playing up the time honored traditions of the school and highlighting the sense of community on campus. Facilities are fabulous - science building and library were standouts (D is interested in STEM). One more tour on tap - Providence College - and then it's application time.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,259 Forum Champion
    edited August 2018
    @Boomer1964 first you have to know if the school even cares about interest (look at section C7 of their Common Data et)...but usually merit is to attract students with high SAT/ACT and GPA to the college. Interest is about admissions, not merit
  • Boomer1964Boomer1964 Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    @bopper Lots of schools care about interest....As I mentioned above, we only visited schools where she had a chance for admissions and based on the information provided by the schools, she would have had a chance for some merit based on her profile. The point that I am trying to make is for prospective students and parents to take their time to look into schools where the student has a chance for admissions and where the financials will work. In our case, we would have not qualified for need based aid so we looked into schools who were able to offer merit based on her complete profile....No need to spend any time or financial resources if a prospective student is not an academic or a financial fit... As it is my rising 11th grader is very interested in looking at the University of Wisconsin. He is probably an academic fit. However, UW is not known to offer any type of merit to out of state students. In our case, why take the time and spend the money flying to Madison to look at this school if I know full well, we are not going to be able to afford it. However there are other schools similar to Wisconsin who might be better overall fits.

Based on our own experience, a visit or two into at some of these schools may have helped to secure some sort of merit. These schools even offered travel allowances in order to visit them even after she was admitted. The fact that we did not take advantage of these perks probably worked against her in securing even a small amount of merit. Both of these schools are known to offer some sort of merit. Perhaps the lack of interest on our end did not helped. Having said that, we had excellent choices and many of you will too. Just do your homework and visit the ones that fit your profile assuming of course, you can financially afford to visit. So many people around here do not even go to a lot of college tours. and by the end of the day, it works out for them too.

• ItisatruthItisatruth Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    Hey @ChillDad can say more about being an ROI guy? And whether your comment was in reference to the pronoun-eschewing or the lackluster commentary or the sustainability studies or the single-sex trepidation? Thanks!
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,839 Senior Member
    @Zline are you guys South Carolina residents? That was interesting to hear. I was thinking of taking my son to U of South Carolina. What is it you guys like better about Clemson?
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 Registered User Posts: 982 Member
    We are not city people, but really felt that South Carolina did a great job of creating and maintaining a campus vibe.
    @Zline my D is starting her 4th year at U of SC and the ONLY negative I've ever heard from her is that Columbia isn't a big enough city (we are from suburban Philadelphia so understandable, I guess). And yes, the campus is self-contained but integrated into the city, so you kind of get the best of both worlds.
  • ZlineZline Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    @collegemomjam - No we are from suburbs in PA. Son wants to go to school in warm location so South Carolina schools naturally made the list. My son felt that it was just a bit easier to get around Clemson than University of South Carolina. Felt the Clemson campus was more self contained and LOVED that the football stadium is on campus vs. being about 2 miles off at University of South Carolina. I also believe if Clemson was not opening their new business school in 2020, he would have moved South Carolina to the top. South Carolina's business school was built in 2014 and is really impressive
  • ZlineZline Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    @LuckyCharms913 - Thank you for providing that information. I have talked to a few people who have attended along with their parents. I have heard very positive comments about Univ. of South Carolina. We are also from suburban Philly (Bucks County) but my son is not into large cities. He really liked the little town of Clemson.
  • ASKMotherASKMother Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    @Zline @collegemomjam We have a good friend starting at USoCarolina this fall; from VA originally so had a wealth of schools she COULD have chosen and her parents could send her to whatever school she desired. Something just clicked with her in Columbia and she is excited about being a Gamecock! She was super impressed with the campus (not too big but not too small) and the Honors program. Weather will be a plus if coming from up North - all four season but winter not as long. My D18 moves out in 12 days... hardly seems real! I have 2 more at home and I already know their college selection process will each be different! Thankful I have a 4 year break but miss having the excuse to visit campuses! Good luck with your searching!
  • jjjoannejjjoanne Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    My daughter is beginning her second year at U South Carolina. Nothing but positives all around.
  • eb23282eb23282 Registered User Posts: 417 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Zline - have you looked into UGA? Athens is a phenomenal town (I used to travel there on business frequently) and the school is developing a great reputation from us northerners. My guess is in the next 5-7 years it will be as popular as South Carolina. And their football stadium is right on campus too.

Edit to add: Very easy to get too as well. Flights to Atlanta are dime a dozen and then it's a 90 minute drive. I know peeps at USC that have had trouble with the flights in/out.