Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

18910111214»

Replies to: Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

• EGHopefulEGHopeful Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    @BmacNJ I don’t think it’s too early! My D21 will start her formal college visits this summer so next summer will focus on an internship/service trip and preparing essays and finalizing her list.
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    @BmacNJ how did you like Monmouth? We have a friend whose kid is considering it...they're from California...
    With D we did two trips up to Northern California to look at schools..We did official tours at University of San Francisco, San Francisco State, UC Santa Cruz. And we toured Santa Clara and San Jose State on our own..the whole trip was about five days. Plus we drove by Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and UC Santa Barbara on the way home.
    The next summer we toured St. Mary's College (Moraga, CA), Dominican University (San Rafael, CA/Marin County), UC Davis. We toured University of the Pacific and UC Merced on our own. These trips were quite fun and we were able to intersperse sightseeing and visiting family. We also toured schools in the LA and San Diego areas on weekends on school breaks..this was easy because the schools in this area are mostly less than 2 hours drive from home.
  • BmacNJBmacNJ Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Monmouth was beautiful. As a lifelong Northern NJ resident I had never seen the campus. We were pleasantly surprised. I put a full description under the CampusVibe section. I will cut and paste it here. Feel free to ask any specific questions:

Monmouth University was a pleasant surprise. The location is amazing as it is a half mile from the beach and has housing options oceanfront. The campus is well manicured with a nice mix of old world charm and newer modern buildings and facilities. The on campus arena is brand new and houses D1 basketball games, concerts, student gym, indoor track. Many newer academic buildings with state of the art equipment/labs. There are numerous dining options thruout campus. It’s a Dunkin’ Donuts campus, lol. Asked numerous students about social scene as it’s a dry campus. Was assured by all “we are college kids”, plenty of bars, restaurants, clubs in area. Many upperclassman live off campus as there are hundreds of options in area, thus a robust social scene. 85% of first year students live on campus. Sophs live in apt style on campus units. The upper classmen live in school housing in beachfront apartments. Amazing location to say the least. Cars are allowed on campus from freshman year on. Seemed like an abundance of parking. 20+ sports teams all play on campus, 80+ clubs,10% of student body in Greek life. PNC arts center is 15 minutes away. NYC is 1 hour by car, 90 minutes by train ($32 r/t) 57% female to 43% male
    MU is $52,000 per year tuition,fees housing. Merit aid ranges from 8-25k, AP classes with scores of 3 or higher get accepted, seemed easy to transfer credits in from other schools/community colleges. Large selection of summer/winter classes available. Seemed easy to double major or major/minor as there’s a minimal core required. Study abroad available to 10+ countries, including shorter summer option. Internship fairs and job fairs on campus Fall/Spring. Career services very active. Bruce Springsteen archives are housed on campus, strong music program, strong nursing, business school was certified, Bloomberg terminals, real estate school.
    Acceptance rate is 70%, bulk of student body is from NJ, upstate NY, Long Island but 30 states represented.
    Bottom line, Monmouth University has a great location, beautiful campus, 4500 student body, D1 sports, 85% white student body. It deserves a good look from B students with 1000-1200 SATs, is a serious safety school that I’m sure wouldn’t be a disappointment. Only thing we couldn’t figure out is the rigors of academics.
    Some tips for tours:
    -Wear comfortable shoes. At some schools, especially the public ones, you can really cover a lot of ground. Some schools can be quite hilly too!
    -Bring water bottles, especially in summer
    -Allow a lot of time for tours. Some tours really vary in length. Our UC Davis tour was quite long, but then again it's a huge campus and there is a lot to see. Our tours at St. Mary's and University of San Francisco weren't as long and the campuses aren't too big...
    @BmacNJ Sounds good! Thanks for sharing all this info! I'll pass it along to our friend.
  • bloomfield88bloomfield88 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    For open-minded parents, a good summer trip is to take freshman and younger kids to a big state uni, a big private uni, a medium sized private uni, a small liberal arts college, a religious college and a taste of the different city, suburban, country environments.

We did that the summer before my eldest entered 9th grade. She was invited to fly to a basketball tournament in SoCal. During some downtime at the tournament, I drove all three kids (entering 6th, 7th and 9th grades) to USC, UCLA, the 5 Cs (Pomona, Claremont McKenna, etc), Pepperdine, UC San Diego and then rounded off what was missing on that trip by visiting a couple of local colleges in our area when we returned home.

Warning: NEVER take an impressionable youngster to Pepperdine. As we pulled up to the security gate, my soon to be 9th grader said, "I am pretty sure this is the college for me." The 7th grader chimed in, "Yes, me too Papa."

I retorted, "You didn't even meet the security guard, let alone step foot on the campus or even know a single thing about this university."
    edited April 23
    Some people on this thread have mentioned that visiting schools on the weekend or summer break is harder because not much is going on. We had luck visiting Univ. of San Diego and UC San Diego with D over her winter break at the end of January her junior year, both these schools were in session then. We also toured some schools for S over his spring break and all the colleges we toured were in session, their spring breaks were either before or after our S's school's spring break....College and high school vacations and days off are not always the same. Check to see when fall, winter, and spring breaks are scheduled at colleges...also keep in mind Christmas break at colleges is much longer then high school.

Also, does anyone else's high school offer their own college tours? Our school does..they usually do one to the East Coast and sometimes the Midwest. They've also added tours to the Bay Area and Pacific Northwest (due to popular demand). The parents do have to pay for these trips and they're not super cheap. The college counselors and a few other teachers go as chaperones. From my D's class about 8 kids went. From my S's class about 5 went. I know some years they don't do the trips because there isn't enough interest..they cancel the trips if less then 4 kids sign up. If anyone's school offers these they could be way for your kid to get a visit in, if you can't take them yourself. But, there are cheaper ways to go and tour colleges. Our kids never went, primarily because it was way too expensive and they weren't interested in the any of the schools on the tour. Most of the schools they visit are the super selective ones...our kids aren't in that range.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 6,046 Senior Member
    One problem with taking group trips is that they can result in group think. IOW, if your kid is touring with a kid for whom your kid’s match schools are likelies they can turn your kids off to perfectly wonderful schools. A well chaperoned trip with cooperative kids can put safeguards in place to avoid this but without being there it’s hard to know if kids are gossiping about schools and the kinds of kids who attend them.
    @Sue22 very good point! That's why I'm secretly glad my kids didn't go on these trips!
    A tip for those doing visits to schools out west...lots of great national parks to stop at...my stepbrother and his family visited Montana State and University of Montana on a trip to Yellowstone...
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 1,129 Senior Member
    edited April 26
    I feel like I just answered in this thread for my 2018 graduate, and here I am again for my 2021 graduate. Time flies!

We are not doing a lot of visits this summer because she's a sophomore. But, we hope to visit one school she is very interested in because of two particular majors - the University of Akron. Not a household name on this forum, but very good for what she wants to study. I have a ton of cousins in Akron, and spend a lot of my childhood visiting, so it's almost like a second home to me.

There is not a lot on the forum about UA, so if anyone has any thoughts feel free to PM me.
  • sflawyermomsflawyermom Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    How to start putting a list together to tour? Where to begin?