Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

drewsmom17drewsmom17 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
We are touring several colleges this summer and wanted to see where everyone else is going. I know it’s not an ideal time but long distances and a teaching schedule means this is our best option.

Any tips for touring in summer, experiences to share? I figure we’ll need sunscreen and water!

We are headed up the East Coast from SC to NY then down and across the Midwest back to NE.

Replies to: Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

• ninakatarinaninakatarina Registered User Posts: 1,133 Senior Member
    We are doing a New England trip, Vassar, Yale, Wesleyan, Brown, Tufts. Several may drop from that list depending on whether the ACT comes in the same as before.
  • fleishmo6fleishmo6 Registered User Posts: 527 Member
    @drewsmom17 if you include some schools you are visiting you will get some nice recommendations near each school from thepeeps
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,194 Senior Member
    D20 has a swim meet in Richmond so we are doing URichmond, UVA, College of William and Mary in VA and then Georgetown, GWU, Catholic U, and American in DC. This would be for S19 (really just Catholic and GWU for engineering) and D20 who is undecided right now but leaning toward international business or relations.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 10,836 Forum Champion
    I agree...if you have to do two in one day don't do it very often.
    Explore the area around to see where the students would hang out.
  • AcidicRoyaltyAcidicRoyalty Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    We're doing Rutgers, Temple, and Barnard in one trip, Smith and possibly Brandeis in another.

TRIPLE CHECK WHEN THEY HAVE TOURS BEFORE PLANNING. Some of them only do specific trips on certain days, etc. Some major or department specific tours may only be once a week.

Check out the area around the school more in depth for sure. Since it's summer, you may be able to spend a little more time than usual. Check store hours, try out the transit available, try driving to the nearest grocery store, mall, etc.
  • drewsmom17drewsmom17 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Thanks! Here’s our list so far but DS keeps revising his list. He is looking at CS/gaming/AI. High stats (35 ACT, 3.9/AP classes), 2 solid EC. Only adding because I know the schools are competitve! No awards or extra outstanding activities. Will need some type of aid because we’ll have 2 in at same time. We will be visiting family in SC, VA and PA along the way.

Most of these are the only tour that day and include an overnight stay to see the area. Most tours have been scheduled through school website.

NC State
    U of Del
    Lehigh
    RPI
    Syracuse-drive through on Sat after RPI
    RIT -side trip to Niagara on Sunday before tour on Monday
    Case Western
    OH State
    U if I/Urbana-drive through, he does not feel worthy of touring and saying he wants CS

He wanted to see Stony Brook but I just couldn’t fit that drive in with their schedule.

Good tip on umbrella! I need to remember to pack that. I am happy for any recommendations for things to do and see. He is a big fan of burgers and has been checking best places.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    Syracuse - Dinosaur BBQ.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 1,592 Senior Member
    I dont know if your dates are set yet but if you can hit RPI on one of their summer open house days, I would highly recommend it. We thought it was fabulous.

At Lehigh you can schedule an admissions interview in the summer as well.
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,842 Senior Member
    edited June 8
    From our experience, visiting art schools in summer (between spring semester and summer school) isn't the best b/c there may not be much student art to inspect. Student art (from classes) gives a good sense of level of talent and approaches.

In general, any dead time when school isn't in session doesn't reveal the vibe on campus, the interactions in coffee houses, classrooms, dorms, and other spaces.

This said, you have to make do with the opportunities you have. If you hope to have your student meet with faculty, try to arrange in advance. Otherwise, make admissions office your first destination, for printed information, tours, advice about what to see and how to see it, and to "check in" (leave a marker -- your name, address, email).
  • TexasCollegeMomTexasCollegeMom Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    I have a different opinion on this. My daughter had great stats ( national merit, tons of AP credit and outstanding grades). She was mentally exhausted after three college visits. I tried to be her secretary to jot down ideas but she would shut down. Each kiddo is different. If you are needing merit or need-based financial aid, I recommend you doing lots of research in advance. Do a drive through to schools that are a reach-financially and focus your efforts on schools that will give the aid you need.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,118 Senior Member
    edited June 8
    Your "across the Midwest" trip is very limited- you are skipping several excellent flagships. The cornfields of Illinois are not likely to impress and Ohio is only one of many states in the Midwest. Counting just the northern tier of the Midwest MN, WI, MI options you are omitting some of the top and nicest campuses for his interest in CS. Go west young man...
  • drewsmom17drewsmom17 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the advice!! I really appreciate hearing from others because DS’s search is much more involved than his sisters! He has been researching like crazy and I’m passing along info to him. He loves the research and we have had several discussions.

I do worry that he won’t get the whole picture without seeing it during the school year. If needed, we’ll fly out during the year to any final options. For the most part, we will drive in the day before the visit. Lehigh is an exception because my brother lives in Philly.

@wis75 lol we live in NE state and have been making this drive since he was 4. I want him to go east!!! We will probably make him apply to UNL as a safety but he does not see his interest area in their program or career taking place here. He has MN and WI on his list and we’ll get to those during family visits to St. Paul and Chicago later. We visited MI State, his former fav, but he’s not sure about it anymore and doesn’t think U of MI will be a financial fit.