Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Consultants

Replies to: College Consultants

• CTTCCTTC Registered User Posts: 2,214 Senior Member
    @oldfort
    There were a lot of behind the scene stuff that's not discussed on CC.
    Like what?
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,868 Senior Member
    I mean no disrespect, and yes, the scores are good, but suggest a lot of caution before you focus on Swarthmore or similar schools, with a score range of 1440 to 1550. An unhooked female applicant near the bottom of the score midrange is very unlikely to be admitted. Finding the right fit works on both sides of the process. I would agree you should hire a counselor.
    Correction Swarthmore range is 1420 to 1550.
  • 4Gulls4Gulls Registered User Posts: 462 Member
    Here are Facts & Figures on Swarthmore

https://www.swarthmore.edu/about/facts-figures

- 13% international
    - Close to 50-50 M/F breakdown
    - Accepted 1,016 - 422 enrolled
    - 22 athletic teams - you can be assured some of the EDs were athletes

@roycroftmom is right - it's a reach. But it's a reach for everyone, not just your D.

There are plenty of excellent liberal arts schools where a 1440 would put your D at the 50% or higher range. Take a look at those - You can still apply to Swarthmore, just make sure you've got some Matches and Safeties as well. Because small liberal arts schools have small sized freshmen classes, there are fewer seats that everyone is vying for. Makes them very competitive.

Keep us posted.
  • gallentjillgallentjill Registered User Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    You have been given great advice on this thread. I would just suggest keeping Brandeis on your list since it is a wonderful place and seems to hit all the right boxes. If you don't mind a school with a religious grounding, I would also consider Fordham. It has a very strong core curriculum and is in the Bronx so easy access to Manhattan with all of its dance opportunities.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,825 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    @ReelLife

I think a college consultant could help you and your daughter.

Now...having said that...I would suggest you start a thread in the parents forum asking for suggestions for your daughter. List out her stats, and what is important to her and you in admissions. Please prioritize these things. For example, I think this thread may have gotten muddied a bit when you mentioned merit aid. If this is a priority and is needed, that is one thing, and might lead to different suggestions than if it’s not.

If ballet is a priority, then list that as a priority. If it’s not a necessity, then make that clear too.

Let folks know about academics and the types of schools your daughter would like to consider.

If having a Japanese speaking population is important...put that down also. If it’s not essential, then mention that too.

Include any cost restrictions...not necessarily a dollar amount...but would you be willing to be full pay if your daughter didn’t get merit (I believe you said yes...but clarify that on your new thread).

I’m guessing you will need to answer all of these questions...and more...for a college consultant to be helpful as well.

And i agree with @oldfort about ED. If your daughter has a clear front runner in college choices...use that ONE ED application wisely. Now...having said that...I personally would not let my kid apply ED to a school they have never seen...but others might not share that opinion. I suppose if she gets accepted, you could do a QUICK trip here to see the ED school if she hasn’t already seen it...but it’s not like you are traveling from a close distance.

And agreeing again. Swarthmore is a great school...but like every other great school, it’s not for everyone.
    The common data set is your friend. Last year, more than 5400 women applied to Swarthmore, compared to 3900 men. As noted above, Swarthmore seeks and maintains gender parity.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,601 Senior Member
    As a female, LAC is not your friend when it comes to application. I would seriously consider Barnard.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,825 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    @CValle

Any suggestions for this family in terms of college search?
  • ReelLifeReelLife Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    What a wealth of information I'm getting. Really didn't expect it. I looked at CC when my S did his search two years ago but his choices were so clear cut since there are a very limited number of great film schools but my DD search is more complicated, so I really appreciate the help. As for my original question, I have received great recomendations for consultants and am interviewing them now and it looks like I will likely work with one of them. As for all the other comments, I found them all to add additional information I may not have previously considered; for instance the disadvantage that might be inherent when a girl applies to Swat. So thank you @roycroftmom for that insight. @CValle I appreciate your experience and am adding Holyoke and UPitt to the list. @thumper1 you've certainly added a lot of depth to the discussion as has @oldfort, @Publisher and others. So thanks again!
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,601 Senior Member
    OP - your counselor will be doing what is equivalent to wedding planner doing the month of coordination, not a full planning (still can't get the wedding off my head). Your kid has what she has at this point (stats wise), and the counselor's job is to help her shine.

The counselor should meet with you (together or separately) to go over list of priorities for colleges (very similar to what thumper1's list). Out of that he/she will give you a list of colleges to consider. A good counselor will be realistic, but not necessary manage down your expectations. My kid's counselor encouraged her to shoot higher, but she was not interested in those schools. Hopefully, you will get a chance to visit some of those schools this summer or early fall to find an ED school. Your D should also start her major essays this summer and have her first cut of application ready for the counselor to work with by early Sep. I would very much encourage your kid to work with the counselor on her essay topics, and that's why it is better you select your counselor earlier rather than later. If your kid has not asked teachers for LORs yet, the counselor should also be able to help you on who to ask and what should be in the LORs.

What your counselor can really help out with is the application. It is one of the most important marketing materials your kid will write. A good counselor can help your D's personality come through and help adcoms know who she is.

FYI - some counselors will not take on senior students or may charge more.
  • HMom16HMom16 Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    It is one of the most important marketing materials your kid will write.

@oldfort This is so true but so often forgotten!
  • ReelLifeReelLife Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    edited July 2018
    We are now about to fly to the US for college visits. Thanks to the advice I received on this thread (thank you @CValle and others) and the counselor we hired based on recommendation received here, we are visiting many of the schools mentioned: Barnard, Swarthmore, Smith, Bryn Mawr, Holyoke, Haverford, Wesleyan and Brown. Also some a bit safer: Sarah Lawrence, Fordham and Ursinus. It'll be an exhausting trip but hopefully make things clearer.