Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do Parents Ever Cross a Line by Helping Too Much With Schoolwork?

12346»

Replies to: Do Parents Ever Cross a Line by Helping Too Much With Schoolwork?

• CS_ParentCS_Parent Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    Has any parent helped substantially with College applications also? Ie Common App
  • My3DaughtersMy3Daughters Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 10
    I had my D19's older sister (D13) guide her through the process (less resistant to her than to me, but I checked over materials before sent), because there are a lot of details that I was worried that any kid -- or adult -- could miss. We had a workshop at our highly ranked public high school dealing with the Common App, and many parents hired someone to supervise their student's application. So I didn't feel off the mark in providing oversight. It's a lot for any one kid to handle and requires another set of eyes, in my opinion.I extended no homework support since middle school, and she is an A- student, other than proof reading rarely (on request) and hiring a math tutor that was very much needed, since she refused to drop a level in math.
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,692 Senior Member
    @My3Daughters good for you! I'm sure your time was worth it. Common Ap now has a function where you can add an "adviser" to have access to your account and I think it might be for exactly that reason...to have someone proof things for you because there are loads of ways to make mistakes....uploading the wrong essay, typos in the essays, etc.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    edited January 14
    As I've written elsewhere, I'm the researcher in the family, and I genuinely love sifting through information, and figuring things out. So I did the college search and the culling down to a manageable number and searched for scholarships (ironically, I did not find the one she actually won, and didn't even know what it was when we got the emails which asked for our permission for the nomination). Otherwise, we made sure to remind our kid to do stuff, though I didn't didn't actually check whether she had done it, because it won't work if we care more about her actually going to collage than she does. I did help my kid fill out the FAFSA and CSS forms, of course, and taught her a bit about tax returns at the same time. Well, it was more like she would ask me for information and then enter it.

I helped my kid was build build the first draft of her resume during Junior year, which was good, since my kid is one of the people who would play down accomplishments or forget things because they're already a year or two in the past. However, she got it, I only say the one she used for applications for additional proofing at the end. There was no way that I could help her write her essay, since she is an excellent writer, and is a far better writer than I am. Besides, she's TAing in Honors English, and the teacher is amazing, but is as brutal as she needed when reviewing the essay.

I actually haven't even seen her actual application, since I just realized that I've never actually been on the Common App website. Huh.
  • EngineersCareersEngineersCareers Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I think it depends. If the teacher is not supportive and give you not advice then parent is best teacher giving you advice ad help in our work.They give you 100% and make you more motivated. If teachers known about your strength then parents also known about strength and understand you.
  • AfreenShahAfreenShah Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Well, the whole helping out with homework varies according to the stages of schooling of your kid. In elementary school it is quite essential for us parents to guide our kids with their homework. During that phase I strictly stuck to guiding them and making them understand what they are doing. If they make any mistakes then showing them how it's wrong and guiding them on how it can be made right rather than out-rightly correcting their mistakes. This actually made their concepts strong, so by the time they were in high school I didn't had to worry about their homework. Just an eye if they are completing it on time was enough. Cause from high school they have to develop their interests and know where their capabilities lie on their own. This did work out quite well.
12346»