Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do Parents Ever Cross a Line by Helping Too Much With Schoolwork?

123457»

Replies to: Do Parents Ever Cross a Line by Helping Too Much With Schoolwork?

• mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,604 Senior Member
    I taught my kid to use Excel when he was in second grade.He did all the electrical kits from Radio Shack on his onwn in elementary school and knew more than I did about capacitors and resistors even though I took college physics. I'm sure there were parents who thought we helped with science fair projects. And we did in the sense that we gave him the tools and the materials long before the project was even conceived.

• theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    edited March 8
    Homework is highly overrated, at least in the US. There's too much of it in high school without really adding much to learning. The founder of Khan Academy (Salman Khan) when interviewed a few years back said he found two things correlated with happier students, better outcomes - family dinner and sleep. And homework gets in the way of both, so he started his company based on that as a goal.

You can't judge and not judge btw, you can't say in the same post every situation is different so parents shouldn't be judged because we don't know what goes on inside each family (true), and then start judging other parents (bad).
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 546 Member
    @theloniusmonk There was a study a few years back which showed that USA students had more homework than kids in most industrialized countries, yet they were fairly low in performance. Basically, USA students weren't under-performing compared to other countries because they were lazy, but because they were wasting time in mindless repetitions of the same stuff instead of learning and mastering concepts.

So yes, not only is homework overrated, it's counterproductive, at least the way it is used in the USA.
  • shawbridgeshawbridge Registered User Posts: 5,622 Senior Member
    @MWolf, Alfie Cohen has at least one book making the assertion that homework doesn't enhance learning. I remember being skeptical but thinking the evidence was pretty strong.
  • jackharryjackharry Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes, Of course, it's really true for some times. Usually, parents ever cross a line by helping too much with schoolwork. because some children used to this habit. They can not struggle themselves.
  • AdelaBAdelaB Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Giving advice to your child and handholding them are two completely different things. I've come across many instances where parents feared that their kids won't be capable of getting good grades on their own and resorted to 'over-parenting'. I think parents need to learn how to trust their kids and be okay with the fact that they will make mistakes. That's the best way to learn, after all.
123457»