Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New Here. Where are the discussions for B Students?

Replies to: New Here. Where are the discussions for B Students?

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,735 Senior Member
    No OP, it wasn't like this 30 years ago. Don't fall into the trap of feeling that your child must apply to twenty colleges because every one else is. Kids have the Common App now, which we didn't have. It's super easy to just add more colleges. If your child has a balanced and well thought out list, there's no reason to apply to a bunch of schools.
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    And even if you find that not everyone around here is SuperKid, don't be lulled into thinking everyone is a B student either. There are plenty of people in the world not on CC at all. My oldest was super honors kid and CC was immensely helpful, but my second received grades optimistically referred to as a Gentleman's C. He could have gone to Directional State, but he chose trade school and is going to out-earn a bunch of these honors kids for the next decade. (He'll probably hit a wall in ten years, but by then parenting is over and it'll be his problem. He's aware of this.) Anyway, know your kid and be sure to look in all directions to find what to prioritize to find a good fit.
  • AgouraLizAgouraLiz Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    edited January 21
    Hi again. So, we live in California. It is madness here. Very difficult to get admitted to the UC schools if you are not a superstar, it would seem. Would love for the daughter to apply to some Arizona schools, but she wont touch them with a 10 foot pole. Probably because that's where I went to school!! Oh well.
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 945 Member
    CSU’s?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,498 Senior Member
    AgouraLiz wrote:
    So, we live in California. It is madness here. Very difficult to get admitted to the UC schools if you are not a superstar, it would seem.

California has many public post-secondary options, which are often relatively affordable compared to those in other states.

Of the UCs, UCM and UCR may be possibilities for those with GPA in the lower 3.x range (calculate by https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/ ).

Most CSUs should be reasonable for such a student, as long as the list is not restricted to the most selective ones like CPSLO, SDSU, CSULB (for non-local), SJSU (for some majors like CS). For many students, the local CSU will give them admission preference.

The low cost community colleges are another option for students who want to take the transfer pathway to a CSU or UC, which intend to have about a third of their graduates come from starting at community colleges. Students who do better in community college than in high school may find that they may have more transfer options than frosh options.
    AgouraLiz wrote:
    Would love for the daughter to apply to some Arizona schools

The three Arizona public universities are not that selective, but could be expensive for non-Arizona residents not earning significant merit scholarships. Western University Exchange discounts are available at NAU, one major at UA, and ASU's campuses other than the main Tempe campus.
    WUE seems like a good program to explore. I have heard of it, and many California families in the neighborhood here discuss it regularly.
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 945 Member
    @AgouraLiz
    I have heard good things about Boise St which falls under WUE. My D was admitted to Western Washington which is still in the running for where she will attend (in state for us but WUE for you).
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,153 Senior Member
    LOl about " likely won't get into Yale or Princeton. And that's how nuts the whole thing has become...."

What's really nuts tho is how many students and parents believe they should get into Yale or Princeton. Also, how many parents and students reject the other 99.9% of the schools. They reject 99.9% of which 98% would happily accept them (which is why they are not good enough schools-it's the "if a club accepts me it's not exclusive enough" phenom) , while complaining about the .01% of schools they absolutely have to attend but which they can't get into. Bizarre right?
    @lostaccount
    Exactly. I don't understand any of it. I thank God that it wasn't like this when I applied to college. I would have lost my mind.
  • GreymeerGreymeer Registered User Posts: 577 Member
    " I should also note that I will be traveling to Flint, Michigan this spring break to help solve the water crisis."

That reminded me of the kid last year that said he was traveling Indian villages and doing eye surgery.
  • HappyNJOOSHappyNJOOS Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    LOL, this thread has made me happy, the pressure out there is crazy.

My daughter is an overachiever. My son is not. She is going to UF. He will not.

But there are so many good schools he can apply to and still excel.
  • SwimmingDadSwimmingDad Registered User Posts: 888 Member
    @AgouraLiz My son (Boston area) is a solid 3.3 student at an overly competitive public high school (that frankly hasn't been a good fit for him). Good ACT score...no ECs worth noting....runs his own photography business...good creative writer. There are lots of good schools out there for B students....it really comes down to what you want to study. We are big fans of DePaul in Chicago (both my sons got in though not attending), I've heard great things about Loyola in Chicago, and there is a lot to be said for the state flagship universities in a number of states. There are also some excellent option in Canada. My point is they are all over. Your child needs to figure out urban/suburban/college town/rural, how far away from home is OK, and what they think they wan to study. My kids wanted urban or big college town...not below DC and not west of Chicago (they know both of those cities from our travels). I then sat with a map and just did research and we created a list. It takes a little legwork but it is very doable.

Completely unrelated sidenote: I graduated a lifetime ago from Westlake HS which, given your screen name, is right next door to you. I was the first class to go all four years through the school...it literally was a brand new school my first year. Yeah, I'm that old. :-)
  • BSL1199BSL1199 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Needed a laugh today. Glad I saw this thread! Thanks all.