Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New Here. Where are the discussions for B Students?

Replies to: New Here. Where are the discussions for B Students?

• JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 945 Member
    @stradmom
    It is common practice here for the city to hire someone to bring goats to eat blackberry bushes. Sounds like a great EC, lol!
    Civics, caring about animals and PT job all in one!
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 1,059 Senior Member
    There are plenty of great colleges out there for the B+/B- and even C students. You can find them here if you sift carefully, and try to keep your peripheral vision from focusing on the overachiever threads, which are so freaking demoralizing!

You have some excellent options out west ... I am in PA, so don't have much college-specific detail to offer you, *other than* UNM in Albuquerque, which offers excellent aid to OOS students.

https://scholarship.unm.edu/scholarships/non-resident.html

Not sure if that state is also anathema to your kid, but thought I would mention it.

Good luck!
  • AgouraLizAgouraLiz Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    @MAmom111 . You are wrong. It's not 95 percent. More like 98%. Ha!!!! But seriously....not everyone peaks in high school, and not everyone is going to Yale. I will stay off the "chance me" threads because they are, quite frankly, ridiculous.
  • thedreamydaisythedreamydaisy Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @AgouraLiz you sound much like me when I first arrived here :) My son is a Junior and has a decent GPA (3.72) but it is lower this semester so may be heading closer to a 3.5. We are also in California and have the added issue that my son is shy, apprehensive and most likely wants to stay closer to home. We are in the Bay Area and are targeting the local Cal State schools (SFSU, SJSU, etc.) and then UCSC. Even UCSC will be a reach for my son especially if his GPA drops and his ACT and SAT scores aren't top notch (he's taking those in April/May).

And 30 years ago it was indeed so different, I got into UCSD back in 1984 with a 3.4 GPA (GASP)!
  • tkoparenttkoparent Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Sorry, I forgot to mention Northwest schools in my list. Although my son ultimately did not apply, we considered a number of very attractive Northwest LACs along the way, including a number that offer Early Acceptance. I think the best piece of advice I ever received on CC was the suggestion that my son apply to a couple of EA schools. While the question whether to apply ED is very complicated, applying EA was a no-brainer for us. He applied to two schools EA, was accepted with merit money to both, and one remains among his top-choice schools. While I don't think parents should be strategic in shaping their kids, being a little strategic about the application process makes sense. At many schools, the acceptance rate for EA applications is much higher than for RD, so that's great, but the real benefit is having an acceptance in hand before Christmas. It takes the pressure off and actually allows the kid to be a little more aspirational in selecting RD schools.
  • AgouraLizAgouraLiz Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    @tkoparent . Are you willing to say what those schools are in the Northwest, Texas, and Midwest? I would love any suggestions. Also, @thedreamydaisy . My daughter would LOVE to attend UCSC. A lot will depend on how the SATs work out.
  • tkoparenttkoparent Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Sure. In the Northwest, I can think of Lewis & Clark, Puget Sound and Williamette (all EA schools), as well as Whitman - I believe there are others, but these are the ones we looked at. In Texas, my son applied EA to Trinity University in San Antonio, which is a lovely school that is trying to diversify geographically. There are others - people say nice things about Austin College, for example. In the Midwest, a draft of our list from a year or so ago included St. Olaf, Lawrence (our second EA school), Denison, Kenyon, Knox and College of Wooster, but there are many others.
  • NicoleGreenNicoleGreen Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    Hi welcome. I was just talking about this topic on the 2019 board. We definitely don’t all have genius kids who cured cancer or fed the starving goats I think it was.

Don’t despair. There are options out there for the average student. D19 is a mostly A/B student, few Cs freshman year, decent ACT but not above 30, decent amount of participation in ECs, but nothing really amazing or that would set her apart. She’s easy going, tends to get along well with almost anyone, a hard worker, has great organizational and study skills, and interviews really well. I think those skills helped her more than anything. There was never a shortage of people willing to write rec letters. She received some amount of merit aid from I think every school she was accepted to. There might have been one or two she didn’t get anything from. She applied to twenty something schools, and got into all but one where she was waitlisted. Most schools, besides the public, gave her 50% to 75% of tuition in merit aid. Many invited her back to compete for more money which she won each time, so don’t despair. You do have options.

There may be a better way to do this, but what we did was compile a decent sized list of schools that fit our general criteria (quality of program for interested major, location, overall cost, aid, size, etc.) Then we looked at each of those schools to see where the average score range was falling for the accepted students. Schools were her ACT / GPA score would put her above the average, went at the top of our list as those were the ones she’d be most likely to get merit aid from. Schools where her score fell inside the average where placed lower down the priority list. Schools where her score fell at or below the bottom range where thrown out or placed in a reach pile.

For instance, let’s say you’ve got an ACT of 27

School A has an average range of 21 to 24.
    You’ll probably get aid if they are known for giving it.

School B has a range of 24 to 27.
    You’ll probably get accepted, but merit aid is iffy. That’s the average, so there’s a good chance there will be a good number of students admitted at a higher than 27 score. You might get it, but no guarantee. I’d expect it on the smaller side if you do.

School C is 27 to 32.
    You may get in, but you are not getting merit aid.

School D 30 to 36.
    You probably aren't getting in, definitely not getting aid.

I know someone mentioned Trinity earlier, but that was definitely a reach for us, and it ended up being where she got waitlisted. I wouldn’t call it a safe choice for a B student unless they can compensate with an amazing ACT score or a great hook. Even then, the acceptance rate is only 38%, so definitely not a safety.

Stats according to their website:
    HS GPA - Average unweighted (academic solids): 3.7
    ACT Middle 50%: 29-33
    SAT Middle 50%: 1300-1440

We fell barely above the average GPA, but below the average ACT. We honestly expected they’d reject her outright, so it was a pleasant surprise to be waitlisted.

The only other thing I’ll add is LEADERSHIP. Oh, my gosh, I lost track of the number of essays, interview questions, and forms that required her to detail how she’d been a leader in her school, club, community, etc. That was all anyone seemed to care about, and I think her having two really good ECs she could use for examples of that and one sports related captaincy (even though it was only a for fun sport, not competitive) really helped. My biggest recommendation for a B student would be go find something you care about you can show leadership skills in. I can’t think of any other reason she’d get so much merit aid because she was literally the absolute lowest you could be for every scholarship she received, like one point lower, and you don’t qualify. I know a number of schools we visited (not ones we applied to) told us that merit aid is given based on ECs and other factors, not scores. You need a certain score to be considered, but after that, they treat someone with a 36 the same as someone with a 30. I’m not sure how true that is for how many schools, but it did seem to be the case for her.

Hopefully, this information helps some. Just know you aren’t alone.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,735 Senior Member
    really, stop by our 2019 thread!!!!!

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/2018547-parents-of-the-hs-class-of-2019-3-0-to-3-4-gpa.html#latest

and look at the 2017 one which is linked on the first page.

Bear in mind that threads are created by individuals, not CC. If you build it, they will come.

I started the 2017 and 2019 threads for those ranges because there was a gap. It honestly has been one of the more rewarding things I've ever done.

I will be posting an updated results list for the 2019 group in the not to distant future on the thread above. Our kids have had amazing results, well thought out application plans and yes, will go to college. It's an amazing group of parents and one who will gladly assist with thoughts and ideas.
  • NicoleGreenNicoleGreen Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    edited March 14
    @AgouraLiz wrote:
    And, bless her heart, she is NOT a "leader" which is what all colleges seem to desire. My question is: if everyone is a leader, who are they leading?

With leadership sometimes, you’ve got to think outside the box. Most of D19 leadership involved mentoring younger kids through various programs at school. You might try looking into those types of options. Leading younger children is much less daunting than leading peers. Do you have a Boys and Girls program she could volunteer with, know a Girl Scout troop, an after school or summer camp she could help out with? Many schools also have Ambassadors who hand out pamphlets, lead tours, buddy up with new kids, etc. Again it’s leadership, but not on the level of being president of the club or having to take on a huge amount of responsibility.

What is she already involved in or interested in? Could she lead a mini project on a smaller scale within that club or group? Again, those of us not shooting for Yale don’t have to be student body president, just find something you can swing as leadership. Into art, take charge and lead the painting of a mural. Care about the environment, school pride. Organize and lead a clean up day around campus or at the local park. Basically, that means create and send a few fliers out, buy some trash bags, then show up and “supervise”. Congratulations, you’ve lead a project! Play in the band, see about arranging or organizing a concert. That may sound overwhelming, but it’s basically just you going and asking other people to do something. Leading doesn’t mean you have to do it all, only that you need to make sure it gets done by someone. Don’t over complicate it. You can find things to lead if you try. Leadership doesn’t have to be a named position like President or Captain.

Honestly, I think the more non-traditional leadership roles are easier to write about anyway since most are asking for specific examples of A or B that would be harder to explain if you were simply President of the club, verses someone who took charge and accomplished something or someone who could show how they made a difference or improved their community through their leadership. Captain of the football team doesn’t really equate to I helped my community in any way.