Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

New Here. Where are the discussions for B Students?

Replies to: New Here. Where are the discussions for B Students?

• MmeZeeZeeMmeZeeZee Registered User Posts: 562 Member
    @AgouraLiz What does your daughter want to do?

The Evergreen State College is an alternative college that provides a path for students who are passionate about a topic and do well in a project-based setting, but who may not be motivated by extrinsic rewards like a GPA. 98% acceptance.

It's ranked well for instruction and life-changing... not so much for research, but if she's into public policy, it's a great option.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,476 Senior Member
    The vast majority of colleges do not have competitive admissions. Many are pretty much open admissions. So it's a matter of what sort of college a student wants that is affordable, and research those schools, keeping an eye out for selectivity. It would be unrealistic to be applying only to schools where a student's stats fall in the lowest 25%, but to have a super reach or two in that category, is not a big deal. Just make sure there is at least one school on the list that is likely, even sure to accept the student.

The strategy was pretty much the same with all of my kids, who varied widely in terms of what sort of schools would be be realistic reaches. We pretty much worked with the sure thing schools first, getting that out of the way, and then looked at other schools that were not as likely to accept any given student. It's always good to have that early acceptance in hand. Love the rolling admissions schools..
  • JESmomJESmom Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @AgouraLiz @SwimmingDad Adding to your side note ...I went to Agoura HS a lifetime ago :).

Live in VA now and have similar insanity about getting into the top state public schools. Neither of my kids is curing cancer or climbing Everest, but I'm sure they'll go to college somewhere. I've found the B student threads here very reassuring, especially for my S21 who has a good academic record but really resistant to do anything extracurricular.
  • AgouraLizAgouraLiz Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    @JESmom . Thank you! Do you miss Agoura? I will be spending time on the B student threads for sure! My daughter isnt an EC person either.
  • JESmomJESmom Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @AgouraLiz I miss some of it, but my family all moved away (some to Sacramento, some to Denver) so we rarely get back unless we are passing through. I was really an East Coast person at heart -- born in NJ -- and love Virginia. Of course, now my S21 wants to go to college in CA! I sympathize...I wanted to go to William & Mary but went to Cal Poly SLO instead. Told him if he can do the same, go in-state in VA and then move to CA. Or, find a CA college that will cost us the same as in-state VA but that's not likely. CA schools aren't generally good w/ merit aid for OOS students.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,552 Senior Member
    edited March 16
    OP, note that the process of finding a good school for a B student is very different for the family that can pay full fare -- or the family that needs a fair amount of financial aid.
    @katliamom . Can you explain? Thanks. Haven't looked into that too much.
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 945 Member
    @katliamom
    Agreed and $75k per year opens up even more options.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,552 Senior Member
    Indeed it does :))
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,498 Senior Member
    edited March 17
    Conversely, if the budget is only $5,000 per year, the college search for a B student can become very limiting (even an A+ student with top SAT/ACT scores has significant limitations on that budget).
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Other schools -- Rhodes, Sewanee, Furman, Hobart and William Smith, possibly SMU etc etc etc
    Thanks for all the useful suggestions! I am so glad to read them! Question...on this website I see references to "directional universities". Does that mean places like Western Washington and Northern Arizona universities? What is appealing or special about directional universities and why do you like them, or not like them? Thanks!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,103 Senior Member
    Yes, directional universities are universities with a direction in their name like central,
    Northern, Western, ....

You have to look carefully for funding, class sizes, and resources. Because they're less selective many states underfunded them. In the other hand, some have interesting specialty programs, good scholarships, honors programs... Worth checking out and comparing since there aee typically several in the state. In addition, some less competitive private colleges may align their net costs to that of the directional since they're competing or the same students (especially true in the Northeast and Midwest, which are missing students).
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,498 Senior Member
    edited March 19
    "Directional university" means a public university named for a direction like your examples NAU and WWU (but not necessarily when the direction is part of the state name, like University of North Dakota).

Some use it more generally to include any less selective non-flagship public university, usually catering more toward local or regional students, since some states do not name such universities by direction.