Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Student not interested in full ride schools

Replies to: Student not interested in full ride schools

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,246 Senior Member
    edited November 24
    oldfort wrote:
    ^^Same could be said for some UG schools.

However, undergraduate schools with narrow ranges of academic majors and student goals are not all targeting the same majors and goals, unlike law schools.
    oldfort wrote:
    I would check out school's career survey.

Career surveys can be helpful for those looking toward post-graduation goals (job, graduate school, etc.), but relatively few colleges have publicly available career survey information by major. (However, they should.)
    @oldfort Better fit is not code for higher ranking.

For some posters on these forums (apparently including, but not limited to, @oldfort ), "fit" is mostly or exclusively based on ranking. Which can make sense if you are talking about law schools, or if you are laser focused on goals where ranking is highly important (e.g. the usual IB/MC examples), and do not have financial constraints. But that does not describe most prospective college students.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,309 Senior Member
    @itsgettingreal17 - it is not just within CC. When you are paying 70K+ a year you want to make sure you get the most out of a school - that's fit and life after college.
    @ucbalumnus - the reason they do not show employment (or after life) by major because it really doesn't matter that much when you are getting an liberal arts education, but colleges with different schools, like Engineering, A&S, architecture, would show surveys by school.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,246 Senior Member
    oldfort wrote:
    the reason they do not show employment (or after life) by major because it really doesn't matter that much when you are getting an liberal arts education

Not true. At colleges where career survey information by major is shown, different liberal arts majors can be very different in post-graduation outcomes. For example, compare applied math versus molecular and cell biology at https://career.berkeley.edu/Survey/2017Majors . Or compare economics versus political science there.
    oldfort wrote:
    but colleges with different schools, like Engineering, A&S, architecture, would show surveys by school.

This is not always the case either, but even when it is the case, it is still better to have results by major (like in the survey linked above).
  • mountain88mountain88 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Appreciate every reply to my OP, and all the helpful suggestions. To clarify, we have been open with our child about finances and how their college must be affordable or it's not a viable option. And no, this isn't the first time we've said "no" financially. We are cost-conscious across the board.

What is happening, however, is when student searches for "best college for x major," the top 100 typically don't include the schools offering the free or nearly free attendance. Student then concludes that the "free" schools aren't a good option because they won't provide as good of an education, college experience, etc. Also student sees things such as the Stanford web site wherein it is noted you pay no tuition fees if parent makes under a certain income. So the student becomes focused on that type of "top" school that may turn out to be "affordable," and not on the "free" schools.

You might say it is the lottery mentality - you know the odds are low, but yet you secretly hope you win so you devote time and energy to buying that ticket instead of doing rational things to improve your income.

It's an interesting phenomenon - students want to tell their friends and family they got into a top school, but parents want to tell their friends and family their child got into a free school. Perhaps it is because parents better understand financial reality and the constant allocation of limited resources. Admission to a "good" free school has value, just as does being admitted to a top school. Some may say more value.

To keep options open, we did apply to a "free" school and an instate major school. Something I'd like to hear others opinions on - is there value to applying to a top school, just so for the rest of your life you will know if you had what it took to get admitted? Or is that self-torture if you likely can't afford the school?
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    “is there value to applying to a top school, just so for the rest of your life you will know if you had what it took to get admitted?”

No, I would not encourage my kid to go through the process of applying and waiting for months to get accepted to a top college just to tell them there is no way we can afford the college. Why put them through that heartache?
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,553 Senior Member
    There have been threads on CC by families who allowed their kid to apply to an unaffordable "dream school" just to see if they could get in (when they all knew they couldn't actually afford to attend). Kids may say they're okay with that, but when an acceptance comes in it can be really hard for them to accept that they need to turn it down. They secretly hope parents can/will pay and wonder why they let them apply if they really can't/won't. It's a horrible situation. If you know you can't afford a school, I wouldn't let him apply there.
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 3,489 Senior Member
    @oldfort That’s quite sad, actually. I hope parents aren’t telling their kids that because they are paying $70k/yr, they need to go to the highest ranking school they get into or that the highest ranking school will determine their life after college. I excuse that type of thinking from teenagers without life experience to know better, but not from parents. Smh
    edited November 25
    @itsgettingreal17 - not need to feel sad. I am very realistic and honest when I speak with my kids. My kids are usually praised for their maturity at work and their willingness to work harder than their colleagues. I have many years of life experience and I continue to see what excellent education could do for someone.
    What some people do not want to admit is those rankings do mean something. You may not agree with every attributes they used to rank schools and whether one school should be ranked higher than another, but quality of education between a school that's ranked 10 vs 100 is different and maybe not so much between 10 vs 20. My kids knew they could choose within a certain range of schools (didn't push D2 to do SCEA at Yale when she wanted to ED Cornell), but it would have been a no if she had wanted to choose a school close to a beach because it would make her happier.
    I was the one who agreed for D1 not to take the full tuition merit at a lower ranking school because I knew the kind of education she would be getting wouldn't be the same and for her to get the job she wanted it was better for her to go to a higher ranking school. 6 years later her alumni connection is still important for her at work.
    @itsgettingreal17 - we just have to agree to disagree.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 758 Member
    D21 watched the process with S17. She gets the whole money situation, but I still worry! S17 was an average (slightly below??) student, interested in an education major and completely laid back about the whole thing. Ended up picking an in state option completely within budget and it totally happy there.

D21 goes to a different, more competitive high school, filled with 1%’ers. She’s only a sophomore, and she gets the budget issue, but i’m Guessing come senior year when many friends have their pick she will end up feeling short changed because we can’t just let her go wherever she wants. I was one of those kids who applied to Villanova just to see if I could get in - and I did! I was also the kid who got weird looks when my friend’s heard I turned down Villanova for SUNY. We’re going to do our best to work out the NPC’s so D21 doesn’t have the same issue.
  • elena13elena13 Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    @mountain88 - S has applied to two excellent state schools (where he would get full tuition). He does not want to go to one, and he would be fine going to the other (although not the best fit). The rest of his list includes mostly reach schools (in terms of acceptance or getting a big scholarship). The NPCs are not accurate for us due to divorce and being self-employed, but it is likely that the most selective schools would be affordable. So, S knows that all of his efforts on essays etc. may not work out (even if he gets accepted to a reach school) if the finances don't work. He is very cost conscious but I'm still worried about him being disappointed. He is willing to take his chances and is realistic about finances. However, if I knew NPCs were accurate and the schools were definitely out of reach financially, he would not be applying to them. This is so stressful as a parent and I can very much relate to your dilemma.

Maybe your son could visit the actual departments of interest at the "free" schools and meet with some professors. He might end up liking what they have to offer and enjoy being wanted as a "big fish". The opportunities offered to a student at the top of the applicant pool can be significant.
  • houndmomhoundmom Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    @Midwest67 I have seen families that encouraged their kids to go with the tippy top option ... and then have to tell their kids they really can't afford the tuition for 4 years, and kid ends up transferring. That cannot be fun or productive in the long run.

FWIW UKY and Lexington have been very good to my son. Go Cats!