Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A Student Rebelling

Replies to: A Student Rebelling

• SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,557 Senior Member
    @mom2and I’m exactly there. 5s on APs with B+s in class. A decent gpa and act but I know it’s not representative of what she can achieve...at the end of the day I decided not to push too hard because I didn’t want her high school career to be remembered just as a period of anxiety and stress. Of course now we are in the college process and I’m second-guessing, but it is what it is ..and there’s always grad school ;)
  • My3KiddosMy3Kiddos Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    Whiat if you allowed your daughter to take the test cold? No prep. Just to try it.

My son was predicted to get a 27 or 28 on the ACT from some practice type test that the high school administered. We allowed him to go in cold to the ACT the first time he took it. He surprised himself with a 31. Quite possibly because he was relaxed about the whole thing and neither he nor I had any expectations for him. After scoring the 31, he became motivated to prepare for the ACT because we had the illuminating "imagine if you'd preppred?" conversation. He self studied, and I did have to push enough, but it was enough that he went up to a 34. He debated repeatedly whether to then try for a 36, but in the end decided he was happy with a 34 and would just be done with it.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,334 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    I will pile on, when your child is ready, have her try a SAT practice test too. Some kids do markedly better on one format over the other. If the results are comparable, let your child choose which test is more palatable.

@intparent 's prep suggestions are realistic and sustainable. A couple hours a week should be plenty. Personally I would rebel over 1-2 hours per day.

There are also phone apps along the lines of "question of the day" that might be more fun.

Has your child expressed any preferences about what kind of college might be of interest to her? Is she avoiding the college process altogether? Many kids just don't want to engage - they are scared and/or anxious about what looms ahead and enter into denial. Some genuinely don't want to leave home and that's OK.

If you haven't done so already, visit a couple of campuses of varying qualities - small LAC, large state U, urban campus, etc. Encourage her to choose a few that she might like to visit. Often when a campus clicks, the motivation follows.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,926 Senior Member
    I didn't read the whole thread but if still a junior is then not really. She has a nice score. Since you had a tutor before and if you can afford one now they can pinpoint where she needs to improve. Going from a 31 to a 33 etc is really just a few questions more correct. Depending sometimes emphasizing her strength and improve her weakness is a good strategy. With my son it was improving his math score since that was his strength and it was the "speed" of the test.,not the actual math itself. Once he got the speed down that score rose dramatically. Act overall is a fast test for some students

With the English part there was like a few "rules" that the tutor pointed out that he claims he never learned. Once he learned them again his score rose.
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    My S19 took the early October ACT this (school) year and his score got to his Early Decision school on time. So no, June is definitely not too late. Even if your child decides to go ED or EA and the application deadline has passed, they will still accept updates. I would simply call to make sure they've received it, in this situation.
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    I would say back off. However, if there is scholarship money resting her ACT scores, then I would mention that to her. It's hard because you don't want to be too pushy, but when there's money on the line, you can't not mention that either...
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,074 Senior Member
    Re: #79

Let her own the decision about additional ACT or SAT tries and preparation. You can let her know about scholarship thresholds and such that may depend on the scores, so that she has context about how worth it a retry is.

And if you have not had the college money talk with her, do it soon (but make sure that you have the financial plan first). If she knows the budget, that may also put more context into how worth it is to try for higher test scores for scholarships or admission to better FA schools.
  • tkoparenttkoparent Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    You've received a lot of good advice here, and it's nice to see that things seem to be working out. If she does want to try the ACT again, I would think she could probably even wait until the fall. I'm not that familiar with the ACT, but it looks like there are exam dates in September/October. Our son took the SAT and even his October score was in before the November 1 early action deadline (score didn't go up, unfortunately!). It's important to bear in mind that test scores are just one piece of the puzzle, and there are plenty of test-optional schools if you need them. Grades are more important, essays are more important, recommendations are more important, all the things that will show her as an individual rather than just a score. So this may be a good time to take your foot off the gas on testing/prepping and focus on what kind of a school she wants and how to present herself as someone they will see as a good fit, as well as hopefully having some time to enjoy this last part of her high school career.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    If she is studying for AP tests the June test isn't a bad one. My D19 took the June ACT right after the AP tests and killed it. I think she was just in a study mode.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 845 Member
    OP, my D took an ACT prep class offered by an outside company held at her HS once a week at night (8 weeks, I think). While she is an excellent and motivated student, we thought the structure and practice that a dedicated class would help her get motivated about taking yet another test (because these kids are tested TO DEATH). She also did some studying on her own. She got a 31 the first time she took the test (high 20's on diagnostic tests). We asked if, realistically, she could prepare more than she had the first time to make taking it again worth it (because of rounding, etc., she'd have to find several more points over the different sections to take her composite to a 32). With her wanting to maintain her GPA, AP tests, sports, EC's, etc., she said no, she couldn't. We did not push her to take it again. She's now a junior at UC Berkeley and doing very well pursuing a STEM major and minor.

Your D has time. Maybe she'll be a bit more motivated as she moves into her senior year. Just keep in mind that she may retake the test and get a better score, but the odds aren't in her favor if she doesn't plan to do more preparation than she did the first time. Something for you - and her - to think about.
  • holychildholychild Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Thanks so much for all your comments I have to keep reminding myself that a 31 is the 97 percentile and if that ends up being her best so be it. We made every resource available to her: private tutor and test prep books. We made sure she has the time to do the work. If she could bring her math and science score up a few more points she could get a 33/34. It really is up to her. She has all the tools she needs.
  • tkoparenttkoparent Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    Given where she is now, it seems this summer may be a good time for her to focus on other things as well, including her college list and, really important, her essays. Also, if Cornell is still on the list, it seems she may need to take the SAT Subject Tests even if she is relying primarily on the ACT. We encouraged our son to work on his essays, in particularly, over his junior year summer, and even though the work was not "done" by September, having a thoughtful headstart made a big difference.
  • holychildholychild Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    I would love Cornell for her and it being a land grant college and in state for us it could potentially be affordable. However she felt it was “too intense “ so I don’t think it would make the list. She did two subject tests last year and didn’t break 700. I am not sure it’s worth taking another. We would have to invest in test prep for that.

As soon as school is finished we will formulate a list of schools, work on the essays, (the guidance counselor gave us the prompts from last year which he says will be the same this year) , start filling out the common AP when it opens and work on the ACT.