Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A Student Rebelling

123457»

Replies to: A Student Rebelling

• momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,649 Senior Member
    You are fortunate to be in New York with so many public choices! Best wishes when the admission cycle begins in the fall. A test score is not going to make or break much of anything as there is more than one data point involved in college admissions.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,509 Senior Member
    HolyChild, test prep for subject tests is a very different beast than test prep for the SAT's. You can pick up one of the review books on ebay for $5, or get it out of the public library. The content doesn't change year to year all that much, so even a book from five years ago will be fine. Kids can allot 20 minutes a day to bio review, it does not need to be intense at all. A kid who did well in the course but not on the SAT 2 subject test, likely didn't complete the curriculum which is covered by the SAT 2.... so a few chapters of reading and underlining is all it takes to catch up.

This is not something which requires a huge investment- time or money. Obviously, a kid who hasn't taken HS bio at all is not likely going to score a 710 on the bio test just from reading a review book for a few weeks. But a kid who did well in bio (or US history) in HS can likely raise their score significantly just by figuring out what their HS class DIDN'T cover, and reading those chapters.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    A little advice here similar to what I said earlier in the thread. You still have time for late reg for the ACT in June. Do it. You student will be in test mode from finals and AP tests. It is worth a shot. My D19 nailed the June ACT last year. I talked to her about taking it or the SAT again. She had gotten a 34. Summer came and went and she was not interested in prepping. I don't think she prepped all that much for the June test.

Lastly there is a difference between a 31 and 32-36 in merit money. Don't get me wrong a 31 is a great score, but at the school my D19 will attend if she had gotten a 31 instead of a 34 the difference in merit would have been at min $15K a year. It won't be that high at all schools, but money is money.

Sign up the for the test and see what happens. Just don't send the scores to anyone. My D19 went from a 30 to a 34 all in her junior year.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 845 Member
    @gpo613 I agree that if you are targeting schools that offer merit $ tied to test scores, definitely try to boost that score, because, yeah, money is money. My D's college list didn't include schools like that, so we knew we'd be full pay. Fortunately, she had some excellent in-state public school choices we were willing to cover.

At the end of the day, it's up to OP's daughter as to whether she will do another go-round. You can lead a horse to water...
  • holychildholychild Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    She is already signed up for the test but it is on June 8 so three weeks away. I think she should take it but she has not picked up a ACT book since February and says she does not have time to prep. I don't want her to take it if she is not prepared. Are you saying she can take the test but not send the score? what about super scoring? She would use her two best then, i.e. if she took it in June and August, she would use the two tests that are the best?
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    @holychild When you sign up to take the ACT or SAT you can send the scores to I think 4 colleges for free. I disagree with that idea because if you don't do well the schools see those scores. Schools say they only look at the best scores or that they superscore etc. I just don't totally believe them. Considering it is only $13 to send a score saving 4 or 5 schools to me is not worth it. Just wait and see what the score is and then send it.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,379 Senior Member
    Your child does have the right to make certain decisions. You can lead the horse to the water but can’t make him drink it is the old adage.

You’ve said your piece. Laid out what is optimal for increasing the scores. The most supportive thing you can do now is start looking for schools that are affordable and likely to accept your D at her current score level. Any increase is all gravy now. Where you have the power is that of the purse. She can only go to schools that you are willing to pay.
  • PhoofiePhoofie Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Your D sounds a lot like my D. There were a lot of reasons our D did not step up to study for the ACT, but I think most of her resistance boiled down to avoiding the anxiety she felt because she was afraid she would fall short of her and our expectations. Junior year is also very stressful. The courses are harder, and extra-curricular activities and friends are taking up a lot of time. On top of that, adults (not just parents) start asking things like, "What do you want to study?" and "Where do you want to go to college?" and "What do you want to be when you grow up?" For a kid like mine, who loves to live in the moment, being asked those kinds of probing questions about her future added even more pressure.

Her dad and I did what you did. We got her tutors during the fall and spring of her junior year. She took test prep courses, and we bought her a pile of test prep books. Many times I would get frustrated that she ignored the books or only practiced the day before she was supposed to meet with her tutor. She went through the motions of studying, but her heart was not in it. Her ACT score did creep up, but she took the test several times without seeing a change. Once it even went down, and that really discouraged her. Deep down, she lacked the confidence to put herself out there and really try.

The good news is that the resistance our D had to studying and to discussing future plans did not last forever. As junior year transitioned into summer, it got easier for her to tackle her anxiety head on. By April of her junior year she had earned a score that was good enough to get her into a good state school, and she was one point away from getting a merit scholarship that would help pay for four years of college. We told her that if she had to work for that scholarship money it would be something like 750 hours over the course of four years. We asked her to give herself a mere 30 minutes a day to focus on only the sections of the test that she needed to raise her score. We told her we didn't want to see her regret not trying. We didn't force her to take the test again, but she understood that she was more likely to get into her dream schools and get the scholarships she needed to help pay for four years if she was willing to put in a little bit of extra time (roughly 2-3 hours a week, spaced evenly throughout the week).

Our daughter agreed to try, and she stuck to her agreement. I didn't hound her about it, but she put in about 30 minutes a day to studying the test. She did this for about 4-5 weeks before taking the test. Spacing out the studying helped. She was able to raise her score by the points she needed. It put her into the running for more competitive schools, and she ultimately accepted her dream school. She had a HUGE sense of accomplishment, and none of that would have been possible if she hadn't tried. Probably the thing I'm most proud of is that she took the initiative to study (without the tutors or us pressuring her). She finally stepped up on her own and gave it her best effort.

Some things I've learned from this process is that our daughter does have initiative and is capable of setting goals for her future, but she is not always working on the same timeline as me. I've also learned that letting her take more ownership of her choices has been a great preparation for her success in college. Also, doing test prep has given her a taste of what college students do every week: learning to teach themselves course materials and prioritizing their time for not only short-range goals but long-term ones.

The one thing I regret is that she did not retake the test sooner. She waited to retake the ACT test in the fall of her senior year and she did not have her scores back in time for the November 1 deadline (which is usually the deadline most schools give you for early action or early decision). One of the schools she applied to told her that she had to submit all her test scores by November 1 if she was to be considered for EA. She didn't want to send the lower ACT score, so she waited. She got rejected from that school, and I think it maybe hurt her that she didn't have that higher score.
  • holychildholychild Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Phoofie, Thank you for sharing your own situation. I am hoping that she will take the ACT again in September. I had hoped she would have finished the ACT and been able to try the SAT. I think the best I can hope for is for her take it agin in September and improve her score to a 33. We are looking at schools where she would get in with a 31. At this point we lost the money for the April and June tests but that is nothing if she works really hard over the summer, takes the test again and improves her score. September will e her last shot to make the early action deadlines. At this point we will not even try for the SAT subject tests. We can't afford Georgetown any way.

I am coming to the realization that if this is how motivated she is whereveer she ends up going to school is where she belongs.It would be nice for her to get meirt at some priate schools but I think with a 31 and her current grades she would likely get into one of the SUNY schools which would be afforadable. She can certainly get a great education and be successful. If she makes the top 10% of her graduating class she could even get one of the Stem Scholarships.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,213 Senior Member
    edited May 18
    You could ask her to go to the June test because you paid for it - no prep requested. Just show up and do your best.
    And since it's a pain for her, treat her to a nice meal, or ice cream and a movie, or a round of minigolf, or whatever can be fun as a family outing in her honor. :)
    (Yes as a teen she'd rather not be seen with you but I'm sure she'll have fond memories of the day you decided to do z in recognition of her trying hard for College ;))