Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A Student Rebelling

holychildholychild Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
My junior is rebelling and refusing to do ACT practice tests. She has decided to be defiant. She got a 27 on her first diagnostic test and 27 again after prepping for a month on her own. We got her a private tutor but she refuses to do all the homework and refuses to do a full-length practice test even though she had more than enough time to do so. Her dad decided since she will not give it her all he is canceling the tutor and I cannot find a class for the February test date. She has mostly A's with a rigorous schedule and some ECs and leadership.

Replies to: A Student Rebelling

• SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,579 Senior Member
    Agree that it may be a pressure thing. If she’s a junior, she’s got plenty of time to take ACT, and even to re-take if necessary. My D and most of her friends found junior year the toughest. I’d let it go for a couple of months.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,734 Senior Member
    You can’t make her do it. And there is time. Let her know your college constraints in terms of cost. If she has expressed interest in any colleges, find the test score ranges and show them to her. Remind her that 25 percentile & below students are usually hooked, and her odds are MUCH better if her scores are over the 50% mark. Then leave her alone.

Have you done any visits? Maybe get her a copy of the Fiske Guide and work with her to pick a few nearby schools to visit in the spring. My kids were definitely more motivated after a few visits - it made it more “real” to them.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 75,657 Senior Member
    Oh come on! It’s holiday season!

Bring this up again in January.

Kid can take the SAT in May and then again in the fall if needed.

Plus. There are colleges for every student. What schools are YOU aiming for.
  • sdl0625sdl0625 Registered User Posts: 654 Member
    I agree with @intparent . once she visits schools and sees what she needs to get in, she will be be more motivated. Its still early and she has lots of time to take ACT/SAT.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,734 Senior Member
    I think leaving enough time for retesting is good, though. The fall is a lot less stressful if testing is completed junior year.
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    edited November 2018
    Have her take the April or the June test. Offer her prep options about 8-10 weeks before that and tell her she will have the most options for college with a higher score. If she shuts that down, oh well. A 27/87% on the ACT is hardly the end of the world. My oldest very naturally just went up with exposure and comfort level without much prep. A kid with a 27 will have many good college options open to them if they want them. If she is having an academically rigorous year, there's a good chance she'll go up 2-3 points just with maturity, academic growth and exposure.

I'd start by not even bringing it up for a couple months.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,579 Senior Member
    My D tested in April of her junior year and again in September just after she started senior year (she skipped June because the test was the day after her last final exam and she deserved the rest), and had her scores in plenty of time even for the ED/EA cycle. There really is no rush.
  • holychildholychild Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Her dad signed her up for three test dates already.February, April and the next one. I am just so annoyed with him too. I suggested that she just take the practice test that the test center offered but he insisted that she do those as well as a few on her own. He wanted her to do one to two hours of practice at home every day as well. She has the time but is just not that motivated. I also told him to just have her do a course 4-6 weeks rather than a tutor as it would be a third of the cost but he would not listen. He wants her to have the best opportunities. I do too but I know she is not as motivated as we expect.

We already visited some colleges so she knows what the top colleges are looking for. We are in NY so we are looking at the top state schools and a few privates. Thank you so much for your advice.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    Back off is the best advice.

She can always attend a test-optional school. There are plenty of them. And many are excellent schools with merit and need-based aid.

https://www.fairtest.org/university/optional