right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A Student Rebelling

holychildholychild 125 replies5 threads Junior Member
My junior is rebelling and refusing to do ACT practice tests. She has decided to be defiant. She got a 27 on her first diagnostic test and 27 again after prepping for a month on her own. We got her a private tutor but she refuses to do all the homework and refuses to do a full-length practice test even though she had more than enough time to do so. Her dad decided since she will not give it her all he is canceling the tutor and I cannot find a class for the February test date. She has mostly A's with a rigorous schedule and some ECs and leadership.
135 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A Student Rebelling

• SJ2727SJ2727 1960 replies6 threads Senior Member
    Agree that it may be a pressure thing. If she’s a junior, she’s got plenty of time to take ACT, and even to re-take if necessary. My D and most of her friends found junior year the toughest. I’d let it go for a couple of months.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    You can’t make her do it. And there is time. Let her know your college constraints in terms of cost. If she has expressed interest in any colleges, find the test score ranges and show them to her. Remind her that 25 percentile & below students are usually hooked, and her odds are MUCH better if her scores are over the 50% mark. Then leave her alone.

Have you done any visits? Maybe get her a copy of the Fiske Guide and work with her to pick a few nearby schools to visit in the spring. My kids were definitely more motivated after a few visits - it made it more “real” to them.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75283 replies3303 threads Senior Member
    Oh come on! It’s holiday season!

Bring this up again in January.

Kid can take the SAT in May and then again in the fall if needed.

Plus. There are colleges for every student. What schools are YOU aiming for.
    · Reply · Share
  • sdl0625sdl0625 673 replies11 threads Member
    I agree with @intparent . once she visits schools and sees what she needs to get in, she will be be more motivated. Its still early and she has lots of time to take ACT/SAT.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    I think leaving enough time for retesting is good, though. The fall is a lot less stressful if testing is completed junior year.
    · Reply · Share
  • MusakParentMusakParent 1022 replies9 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Have her take the April or the June test. Offer her prep options about 8-10 weeks before that and tell her she will have the most options for college with a higher score. If she shuts that down, oh well. A 27/87% on the ACT is hardly the end of the world. My oldest very naturally just went up with exposure and comfort level without much prep. A kid with a 27 will have many good college options open to them if they want them. If she is having an academically rigorous year, there's a good chance she'll go up 2-3 points just with maturity, academic growth and exposure.

I'd start by not even bringing it up for a couple months.
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
    My D tested in April of her junior year and again in September just after she started senior year (she skipped June because the test was the day after her last final exam and she deserved the rest), and had her scores in plenty of time even for the ED/EA cycle. There really is no rush.
    · Reply · Share
  • holychildholychild 125 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Her dad signed her up for three test dates already.February, April and the next one. I am just so annoyed with him too. I suggested that she just take the practice test that the test center offered but he insisted that she do those as well as a few on her own. He wanted her to do one to two hours of practice at home every day as well. She has the time but is just not that motivated. I also told him to just have her do a course 4-6 weeks rather than a tutor as it would be a third of the cost but he would not listen. He wants her to have the best opportunities. I do too but I know she is not as motivated as we expect.

We already visited some colleges so she knows what the top colleges are looking for. We are in NY so we are looking at the top state schools and a few privates. Thank you so much for your advice.
    · Reply · Share
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers 3356 replies77 threads Senior Member
    Back off is the best advice.

She can always attend a test-optional school. There are plenty of them. And many are excellent schools with merit and need-based aid.

https://www.fairtest.org/university/optional
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 2018
    A word of caution, even with superscoring, be careful of too many tests. While most of the colleges our D has applied to ask for highest score, and some super score, we also had college info sessions where they mentioned wanting all test scores and/or being wary of people taking the same test (ACT or SAT) more than twice.

From your last post it does sound like it might be pressure. When you say she has “1-2 hours a day” to spare, despite a rigorous schedule and ECs, is that still with having enough time just to chill and relax a bit after school?
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
    Happymomof1. I know he wants the absolute best for her but I agree with you regarding the “hyper focused “. It’s just so difficult to deal with. I am constantly in the middle of the two of them. He doesn’t listen to me when I suggest he adjust his expectations. It’s either his way or the highway. He disengages and tells me I have to do everything.
    · Reply · Share
  • evergreen5evergreen5 1526 replies32 threads Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    It sounds like a pressure/stress thing - we had this in our house. I don't have a great answer for that other than to explore the types of college options that may be more likely at various score levels.

It sounds like you all sense a difference between her school performance and her current ACT score. Some kids do much better on SAT than ACT or vice versa. I would lay off for now, but I'd also make a plan to have her prep with the tutor for the SAT, taking it in the spring and possibly again in Aug/Oct, if SAT turns out to be a better test for her. Ideally the better-fitting test could be determined by taking a practice test at home, but this kid sounds like the type to refuse that option.

Sometimes the tutoring may be the best you can do to get even a little bit of prep to help keep her options open. Her perspective may change a lot between now and next fall when she may be more motivated.
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you all so much for your insightful comments.
    · Reply · Share