Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: Location

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,040 Senior Member
    Early in 11th, D1 anounced she wanted to go as far awy as possible. I didn't react, just crossed my fingers. DH was fascinated by an upper midwestern college, so we went to that local roadshow. That's where they admitted to get there, from here, you'd fly to one hub, transfer to a flight to another city, bus 45 minutes to the college town, the taxi to campus. What a hassle. By spring, she had narrowed it down to New England. Both girls were happy we could get to campus in 3 hours.

It's that hassle. Don't forget TSA times. Waiting fo the next flight or bus. Similar to thumper's story, we did once need to get to ER, in the middle of the night.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 2,207 Senior Member
    We gave our kids financial restrictions not geographical. The COA at any school would include transportation. Both chose schools within a 1 day drive which saved money. They gave themselves a donut (the school couldn't be too close either). Their decision, not ours.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    edited December 6
    "That's where they admitted to get there, from here, you'd fly to one hub, transfer to a flight to another city, bus 45 minutes to the college town, the taxi to campus. What a hassle. By spring, she had narrowed it down to New England. Both girls were happy we could get to campus in 3 hours."

Ugh, yes that would be a dealbreaker. We're 20-30 minutes from our nearest hub airport, direct flights to her chosen cities, and 2 of them (DC and Boston) have easy, central airports. Her 3rd, NYC, less so but she has grandparents and a very close aunt there so not worried about emergencies (we also have very close friends in Boston who have already volunteered to be surrogate family if she ends up there).

We have global entry, which incldues TSA Pre, and imo is the best value $100 per four years you'll ever spend !!

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,962 Senior Member
    within a 1 day drive which saved money. They gave themselves a donut (the school couldn't be too close either).

@lvvcsf perfect way to describe it! My D was just like that. My S, more of a donut hole (only looked close).
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    I some parents that are not really folks that would end up on CC that don't want their kids more than 1-2 hours away.

My D19 saw a girl that is a freshman in college that had been home like 5 times and that was toward the end of Oct.
  • rphcfbrphcfb Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    My D 17 restricted herself: no big cities and no more than 3 hour drive one way). She ended up in a college town, 5 hours away (one way). A long drive but is doable for a one day round trip. Also, the the scenery is overall pretty.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    I told my S, "Go East, young man," and that's where he is now. :)
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,399 Senior Member
    @gpo613

What does this mean? There are quite the variety of parents who post on this site.
    I some parents that are not really folks that would end up on CC that don't want their kids more than 1-2 hours away.

I had a restriction on location for our kids. It was a little broader than 1-2 hours...but a restriction nonetheless.
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    @thumper1 I have never had a parent I know talk to me about college confidential.

I know some clueless people about the entire college process. I am sure there are some at my daughter's school, but many probably don't know that CC exists.
  • GlitterbugGlitterbug Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    While we haven’t and won’t given our D20 location restrictions, we have asked her to keep location in mind when looking at schools. She has some medical conditions that cause her to be hospitalized about once a year with other significant bouts of illness in between. We hate the idea of her being really sick and not being able to get to her quickly, but ultimately we trust her to make good, safe decisions for herself (she’s a really responsible kid). She has already acknowledged that cold weather exacerbates breathing issues, so is ruling out huge geographical regions (which is a real shame, because there are so many wonderful schools in the NE that seem like they’d otherwise be a great fit).
  • 4kids4us4kids4us Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    @gpo613 two of D17’s roommates this year live 90 mins from school and this year (sophomores) both have cars. She said they both frequently go home on weekends which is a bummer for her. She wouldn’t have planned to live with them if she knew they’d be gone so often. OTOH, last year she was in a quad where she and one girl were East Coasters and the other two were an 8 hr drive from their home. None went home except for major holidays but being all in same room *all the time* she would’ve liked a break from them once in a while. This year she’s in an apt so has personal space but misses hanging out with her roommates on weekends when they go home. other roommate has off campus boyfriend and never there but she’s not friends with her anyway. So 2-3 weekends a month she has her apt all to herself.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,795 Senior Member
    No location restrictions for either high school or college.
  • momocarlymomocarly Registered User Posts: 631 Member
    No restrictions. Set out the facts. Son wanted to be as far away as possible. He narrowed down the schools by the program that he wanted, the cost, and the fit. Ended up a 12 hour drive away. He has no problem making the drive and will probably do it 3 times over Christmas break. He likes the drive better than flying. Luckily it is an easy flight from here. This was a son who was very independent, didn't want to stay in his home state, and who is used to being away from home for up to 2 months at a time. I was comfortable with him away.

D is a different story. Mental illness, history of quitting what she starts. We told her to stay in the state when she graduated. She chose not to go to college. When she started again we said local CC until she could show is she could stick with college and handle a full class load. So far has passed on class, dropped one twice (well just quit going) and is about to finally finish that class to get rid of the bad marks. Taking 2 classes next semester (a remedial and regular jointed together so 6 credits but only 3 go towards anything). She is going to have geographical restrictions as long as we are paying.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,133 Senior Member
    Yes. We are on the east coast and said no west coast. Too expensive to travel. We have so many colleges and universities it just isn't necessary.
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,916 Senior Member
    edited December 6
    No restriction. Just that it be in the US. Son applied to colleges from West Coast to East Coast and in-between. Ended up in-between (Chicago), about 200 miles from where we live. Daughter applied to colleges from midwest (Kansas City) to east (NY, Providence) to south (Savannah). She ended up in Providence, about 750 miles from where we live.

The "best fit" was not defined by distance from home. Travel was by planes, trains, and automobiles.