Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: Location

• jmnva06jmnva06 Registered User Posts: 642 Member
    No restriction. D1 was 14 hours away by car or a 90 minute flight (plus about an hour on the bus).. D2 is a 3 hour drive away.
  • ARTCCARTCC Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    Our location criteria for our D was if the college is too far away to drive from our home, it had to be reasonably close (within 30 miles or so) of an airport with commercial airline service in order to make it affordable and convenient for use of either a college airport shuttle or a ride sharing service, such as Uber or Lyft. We live about 16 miles away from a major airport, so flying to and from college for our D is much more convenient for the universities that were her top three choices.

When I was an undergraduate, the college I attended was more than 1100 miles from home and on more than one occasion, I remember my car breaking down as I drove home from college, sometimes late at night, sometimes in rural areas, and needing to get my car towed and repaired far from home in unfamiliar areas.

I feel much better having our D fly to and from college. She is a college senior now and thankfully has only had to deal with one winter weather related flight cancellation, but fortunately, she didn't miss any classes and the airline contacted me to reschedule her flight 24 hours before she was scheduled to depart from home on her return to campus after the Christmas/New Year break.

Of course, if your student relies on flying, it also presumes that the college campus is walkable and shopping and other off-campus activities are accessible by either a campus shuttle or a ride sharing service if the student will not have a car of his or her own. Our D hasn't had her own car on campus and while she has occasionally traveled off campus with friends who have cars, it's nice to have other ground transportation options, too.

• CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,763 Senior Member
    We told our lads to stay East of the Mississippi. When we took middle son to visit WUSTL we joked that we would take him to the bridge east of the Mississippi River and he could walk from there. :) He ended up applying to and being accepted at Baylor as well, but his final choice (his choice) was to go merely 6 hours (one way) from home - making him our closest lad for his college days. Distance had nothing to do with it. He loved the school and it came in affordable.

That said, from working at school I can say that the vast majority of our high schoolers who head to college stick within 3 hours one way from home and it's often the kids who want it that way. I suspect this is one reason some of the better offers can come from (private) schools further from home though. Many schools need to add to the pot to get students from as many of the states as they can.

• Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Our S19 said 8 hour drive max. Only 2 of the schools he is looking at are over 5. Also no big cities. We have so many great schools close to us.
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,704 Senior Member
    I had no restrictions other than academics and financial. D decided she wanted to be in the Northeast area but included PA. She wanted someplace she could ski (she's been a total of once in 7 semesters lol so there's that) and some other "wants" that in the end didn't really matter. She ended up 5 hours drive away and its worked out fine.
  • IBviolamomIBviolamom Registered User Posts: 401 Member
    We didn’t put restrictions, but now that D has been at her school for a year and a half, my spouse and I realize in retrospect that the locations of some of her choices would have been a royal PITA when it came to traveling back and forth. Fortunately her top choice is an easy trip. She’s over 1200 miles away, but a 10-minute Uber ride from a major international airport (and we live about 45 minutes from either NY airport). Some of her other choices would have been an hour away from an airport with no direct flights to New York. Or a very long drive.

Of course, being willing and able to spend all the extra $ on airfare is a factor. And I hate long car rides, so friends’ children who attend closer colleges but need their parents to drive four hours each way for every holiday and break...I don’t see that as “better”! But that’s just me. Call me a selfish parent but I love that D can get herself home and back to school and all it requires of me is a short drive to the airport.

Then, of course, there is the fact that my daughter had already spent five summers away from home, and she adapts well to new environments, makes friends easily, and knows to seek help when necessary. We’re lucky.

I did have a friend point out to me that one of her reasons for drawing a four-hour driving circle around their home and telling her kids that if they wanted to go to school outside that circle, they would have to convince her that there were no other schools within that circle that could compare, was that if they got very sick or injured, it was fairly easy to go and be with them. I understood her point but I feel that at some point our young adult children need to be able to get through these things without mom or dad anyway. And if it was something that serious I could always get on a plane. The flight is less than three hours.

So, it’s a pretty individual decision based on your own comfort level, your finances, and what you know about your child!

• mstompermstomper Registered User Posts: 1,024 Senior Member
    Our youngest didn't apply to anywhere more than 6 hours away, but chose the one school that was 6 hours away.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,527 Senior Member
    We would have been open to schools that required a flight IF that school offered something closer schools did not offer orit the far away school was the "best" for their major. Since we live on the east coast there are plenty of great schools within driving/train/bus distance and there was no need to go farther. The issue to me was cost and hassle, not distance. Add in 4 round trip air fares (thanksgiving, winter, spring and the start and end of the year) plus the cost of getting to the airport, storage fees etc.and it ups the COA quite a bit. Two went to schools a 5 to 6 hour drive away, near an airport, but the cost of flights was always high so they took the train or got rides.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,545 Senior Member
    No distance restrictions. We wanted them to go to the best university for them not us. But both live realitivily close to home. My daughter was 2 hrs away but transferred to a school 1.5 hours away and easy access for her to take bus home also. I will tell you it's very nice when they have a Saturday morning farmers market or school event that we can easily go there and be with her. We have also just did lunch with her and took her to the market and came home. Being close does have its advantages.

My son is 4.5 hours away and we both have our families 45 minutes away. We have gone up for football games and parents weekend etc. Sometimes I am just going to see my mother whose been ill and again it's nice that I can just take him out to eat, go food shopping then leave . We are so glad he is not on the west coast or at an east coast school that would of taken like plane,, train and automobile to get to (yes a movie reference) :).

Honestly we are very thankful for having them both an easy car ride away. They can both take a bus/Amtrack home and the trains are usually filled up with college kids. They both like this idea also.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,556 Senior Member
    I had mine go visit the far away colleges alone...#1 has 3 planes and a bus to navigate and I took a deep breath when he went out the door senior year of high school but he did fine and that on the college he attended and graduated.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,966 Senior Member
    @mom2and Our restriction on "stay east of the Rockies" was financial as well, and it hardly limited options since have so many schools over on this side :D

Kids are funny though. S wanted to be within 3 hours and also have access to "woods". He managed both.
  • bjscheelbjscheel Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    We started out considering some farther away ones, if they would save money. D'19 thought she would like to go far and it would be SO COOL to fly to college. We visited one with excellent automatic merit. It would take 9 hours to drive and about 9 hours to fly counting waiting at airports. Two weeks after that visit she decided she didn't want to be that far. We don't have many nonstop flight options out of Des Moines. We considered one with a nonstop flight but then there was a 2 hour bus ride after that. As time went on she refined her wish list and we saw that a 2 hour drive school met the list pretty well. We decided there was no reason to subject ourselves to travel hassles. She can live far away later, when it can be more permanent and not moving in and out of dorms each year.

Another consideration is that she will be in theatre performances and we would like to attend them. At the close school, we can run down without boarding pets, getting a hotel room, or making my truck driver husband spend tons more hours on the road.

Our D'17 is one hour away and I can say she is certainly learning to be independent even though she's close. She takes a full course load, works and pays her own rent, cooks her own meals, drives anywhere and everywhere, has dealt with being rear-ended, going to the walk-in clinic, etc. But it was nice when her dad could run up and install a new battery when her car wouldn't start ;)
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,545 Senior Member
    @bjscheel my daughter was in theater also. Yes, we could drive the 2 hours to be at every performance. If she went to Emerson we would undoubtedly miss a few plus the expense from the Midwest. I think a lot of kids /families fantasize about going out east or west from the Midwest till the realization hits. I would of felt awful if we couldn't be at something to support our kids. My daughter just gave her study abroad research talk. It was so nice we could drive 1.5 hours to get there and take her and friend out to dinner, then drive home. As stated also without having to board the dog.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    We had no location restrictions, although I did express my preference that my daughters avoid certain areas. However, I would not have refused to pay our family share if either had picked a school in one of those areas.

I live in Wisconsin. D1 went to college in southern California, worked there for a few years after college, and now lives in New York City. D2 went to college in Minnesota, worked in NYC for two years, and now is in graduate school in northern California. We all know a lot about planes, trains, buses, and automobiles.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    As a photographer, I took tremendous joy in taking photographs of all the activities of my sons while growing up, especially sports and performing arts related activities. To me that's the thing that I miss the most when S2 had to go to college so far away. Wish I could be there taking all the photos. At least I get to watch him perform as a part of the university orchestra since they live stream each event.