right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Sleepless In College

Replies to: Sleepless In College

• mackinawmackinaw 3040 replies54 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    I had sleep issues in college. Tooooo much work to do! But that was true even later in my life. My own kids would mock and mimic me when sometimes I would express out loud "Not enough time. Too much to do!" This was the "ordeal" of trying to stay on the tenure track and meeting deadline after deadline while also being a parent.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
    There's another joke framed around the life vs. work competition. The road to tenure was so demanding that UC Berkeley faculty could be outstanding on only TWO of the following three dimensions: research, teaching, or staying married.
    · Reply · Share
  • gate84gate84 14 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Once my daughter could set her own class schedule in college, she was able to get much better sleep than when she was in HS.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom 5325 replies249 threads Senior Member
    Our son hasn't slept in eight years. Maybe after graduation.
    · Reply · Share
    @ChoatieMom I suspect you realize that some people are built to need more sleep (my daughter) and some to need less (my son). But it's not necessarily the total amount of sleep that matters as the ability to function effectively when one is awake. Some people use artificial stimulants in a pinch or even habitually (caffeine or other drugs).
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 816 replies78 threads Member
    I beg to differ. Sleep matters.
    · Reply · Share
  • FarmerMomFarmerMom 88 replies18 threads Junior Member
    Sleep matters. Just read a very good book, Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, PhD. I am giving it to my daughter to read over Christmas break. She is so sleep deprived right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper 14139 replies100 threadsForum Champion CWRU Forum Champion
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity