Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: Sleepless In College

• mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,909 Senior Member
    edited December 7
    I had sleep issues in college. Tooooo much work to do! But that was true even later in my life. My own kids would mock and mimic me when sometimes I would express out loud "Not enough time. Too much to do!" This was the "ordeal" of trying to stay on the tenure track and meeting deadline after deadline while also being a parent.
    There's another joke framed around the life vs. work competition. The road to tenure was so demanding that UC Berkeley faculty could be outstanding on only TWO of the following three dimensions: research, teaching, or staying married.
  • gate84gate84 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Once my daughter could set her own class schedule in college, she was able to get much better sleep than when she was in HS.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Our son hasn't slept in eight years. Maybe after graduation.
    @ChoatieMom I suspect you realize that some people are built to need more sleep (my daughter) and some to need less (my son). But it's not necessarily the total amount of sleep that matters as the ability to function effectively when one is awake. Some people use artificial stimulants in a pinch or even habitually (caffeine or other drugs).
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    I beg to differ. Sleep matters.
  • FarmerMomFarmerMom Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    Sleep matters. Just read a very good book, Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker, PhD. I am giving it to my daughter to read over Christmas break. She is so sleep deprived right now.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 11,954 Forum Champion
    There's a new movie on this topic: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2043993/reference