Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Hierarchy in College Admissions Office/Who to Hire

WillmomWillmom Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
I am looking at college counselors to help with my DC's application--people market themselves at all different levels.....
Assistant Dean, Director, Assistant Director, Associate Dean/Director, Admissions Officer, Reader, etc...I don't fully understand who does what. If I'm just looking for help, what would be the advantage of paying for a senior person over a seasonal reader...would a seasonal reader be good enough? A lot cheeper!

Please don't judge my looking at a private counselor. DC's guidance counselor has 500 students and we need some help with the logistics at the very least. Thanks.

Replies to: Hierarchy in College Admissions Office/Who to Hire

• CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    I would ask around at your high school and get personal recommendations. My older D's high school had a counsellor who bragged she had worked in admissions at Columbia and she was really horrible / useless ! Past jobs don't guarantee anything - Better to get someone who actually helps you get to where you want to go.
  • rphcfbrphcfb Registered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    Don’t worry about people judging you. You do what you think is best to help your child with college admission. I agree that word of mouth/personal recommendation is a way to go. We got the name from a friend. We were charged only for the hours he worked with our D. No set amount. No package. We liked him and his way of doing business.