Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

Replies to: Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

• Busybee01Busybee01 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    @srians - So true! I am grateful that my kid is healthy and has had his share of luck. I know of a couple of kids with health issues that work with the school to graduate hs, but not sure yet if it's possible. One is a talented athlete with many offers from great schools. Such a good kid, but he got sick and missed too many classes. Worst part, he still doesn't have a firm diagnosis. The last of his parents worry is college admission. Good luck everyone, happy Holidays!
  • counselor26counselor26 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm curious, you said you don't qualify for financial aid, but did you submit the fafsa for this daughter?
  • gpo613gpo613 Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    D19 goes like this.

Applied
    Pitt
    Miami OH
    Missouri S&T
    Loyola Chi
    Creighton
    Univ of Oklahoma
    Warburg
    Kent State
    Alabama
    St. Johns(NY)
    Boston U
    Fordham
    Notre Dame
    Brown
    Princeton
    Univ San Fran
    Eastern MI

She has acceptances from all except ND, Brown, Princeton, Boston U and Univ San Fran

She is a merit kid so nothing is set in stone yet. Waiting to hear on some. The early leader is Missouri S&T. She visited but I still don't know much about it. If anyone has inside info it would be appreciated.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
    My3Daughters, in terms of "I share my daughter's story to illustrate that are many colleges for everyone. "

I generally agree with the statement. But, there is an issue to consider. It looks like your daughter was applying as a "full pay' student. Students with similar stats requesting aid should not expect the same outcome. Being Full pay is a huge step up. I don't know the stats as schools keep that pretty hush but I would guess that for some schools, a full pay B student (or one with scores in the 500's) could be accepted while a student requesting aid with A's and/or scores in the 700s is rejected. I'm sure what it adds differs across schools, students and circumstance. My point is that while there is a school for everyone, an outcome like your daughters is most likely for a full pay student.
  • My3DaughtersMy3Daughters Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    @lostaccount and and @counselor26: We did not fill out the FAFSA. And yes, I had considered that full pay opened doors for my daughter. Many schools were test optional, so they didn't really know how low the SAT scores were. (Some were not test optional, though, and she still received some merit from some, who, I think, really wanted OOS students.) Her grades were high -- 3.7 unweighted and 3.8 weighted. She never took an AP class though, and she had 4 Honors in non-core classes. And she had some substantial ecs, though I have been told that many people fake those, and they really aren't checked into (hers are real, but I'm not sure how much they counted).

Re; full pay...it's kind of a joke. Yes, our income disqualifies us from financial aid, but living in Northern NJ, commutable to Manhattan, we live a very ordinary lifestyle in terms of house, cars, trips, clothes, and my daughter works part time for the past year and a half. (Taxes and housing is a killer). We certainly can't afford full freight solely out of savings, even with the house paid off. But I work part time (college teaching -- very low paid) and will simply have to take on more work, at 62, since my husband is the major bread winner, working a mentally draining job in public relations/government affairs. Not a cake walk, but I know we are relatively lucky. :\">
    I should also mention that since my initial post, my daughter received a $10,000 Presidential Scholarship from Albright, who also lowered their tuition by 34% across the board! (Naturally, she doesn't want to go there). This would place this private school as the second most affordable on her list of 12 mostly public colleges. She did not submit her SATs to earn this scholarship, which I notice is a real departure from protocol from when D13 applied to schools. Then SAT Optional schools still required the SATs for merit.

My friend's daughter was told no merit at test-optional Drew University (NJ) without SAT scores, so her family was shocked she received the $30,000 presidential scholarship, with no SATs (but a 4.0 gpa in all non-AP/non-honors courses). So it seems schools are recognizing they charge too much?
  • momof2atlmomof2atl Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I share the amazement of one of the other posters about how many schools folks apply to. My D19 applied to 8, and it was painful for her to get all the various essays done. I can’t even picture trying to apply to 15 or 20 - we probably would have killed each other. She also tried to apply for some merit scholarships (which also require essays) and in the end, she just couldn’t get it together enough to apply to all the various merit apps to the schools she’s applying to. My biggest fear is that she doesn’t get enough merit to get herself out of state, which is what she really wants. Fingers crossed for her and all the others that are in wait and see mode.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
    Yes these days even owning a house capable of being mortgaged for college is a luxury. My comment was simply intended to alert others who have similar scores to the fact that outcomes like your daughters may not be possible if they are applying for aid.
    @lostaccount I'm sure you're right.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    Depends if the school has a needblind admission process or not.