right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

Replies to: Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

• SJ2727SJ2727 1984 replies6 threads Senior Member
    My daughter is enjoying her senior year! Yes she “can’t wait” to go to college, but she’s also really having fun right now. And she’s still working hard at her schoolwork ...even though she could slack off now a bit if she wanted... she’s not the type, but she’s enjoying the work more without the pressure of worrying if it’s good enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • peachActuary73peachActuary73 405 replies0 threads Member
    edited January 15
    @momof2atl We applied to a lot so that she'd get enough merit to leave the state as well. In retrospect, the scholarship and honors essays were more time consuming than the actual apps. 5/12 of the apps had no supplemental essays and 3 of those had no essays at all. We looked at Mizzou, because D was offered a summer program there a while back. Never went because another offer had more convenient transportation. Did your D visit?
    edited January 15
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 514 replies29 threads Member
    Mine can't wait to leave for college. However, he's just enjoying himself more and doing more of what he wants rather than what has to be done. He's about to dive head first into his final athletic season. Last year he ended up ranked 4th in state defensively. He'd like to see if he can improve upon that. He's also helping his favorite teacher teach a class. His grades are kinda "eh", but he's also reading and writing for himself more so I'm finding it hard to get on his case.
    · Reply · Share
  • momof2atlmomof2atl 53 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @peachActuary73 - my eldest D is currently a senior at Mizzou, so we have had frequent visits - I’ve been delighted with her growth and maturity over her time there and she’s made a really great group of friends and gotten involved in all sorts of activities. She’s currently on her second intersession study abroad (after sophomore year as much as we love her, those 4 1/2 weeks of winter break became a bit much - so this break and last she’s travelled). Re: Transportation - you do have to get from the airport to the school, but we use the Mo-X bus and it’s pretty easy.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1782 replies11 threads Senior Member
    My kid is kinda "done" with high school. Still working hard, but just wants to get over with the remaining courses. I think that she spent too much time looking at the college's course catalog, and and now her courses seem a bit boring and tedious. However, she really can't let her grades slip, because she was accepted ED and the college is looking over her shoulder... On the other hand, she likes her TAing work with the Honors English class, and is really excited about her upcoming last season of Orchesis.
    · Reply · Share
  • momof2atlmomof2atl 53 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @MWolf I tried to movivate mine with both carrot and stick. Stick - last semester of helicoptering you can get buffeted by raging mom wind or experience a gentle breeze. Carrot - if you do well in IB/AP think of going to college and only taking math and science if your credits are accepted. Both got an eye roll. But had to try something.
    · Reply · Share
    @momof2atl Everything gets an eye-roll. Sometimes that's the only way we know that a teen is alive.

The main thing that motivates my kid, is for me to wave around the ED acceptance letter which says that grades need to be maintained until the graduation...
    · Reply · Share
  • AussiemomAussiemom 130 replies19 threads Junior Member
    Congratulations to your daughter!
    · Reply · Share
    @Scottish1 Congratulations!! Hamilton is a great school, and it's so great that he got into his dream school.
    · Reply · Share
  • LabmamaLabmama 56 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I need some advice on how to get through this waiting....I am losing my mind.

D's applications:
    Stanford EA -rejected
    Tulane EA - accepted, Honors, $30K merit. Waiting on decision for full tuition scholarship (separate app)
    Colorado State- accepted, $4k merit (in state)
    University of Colorado -accepted, $5k merit (in state)
    University of Arizona- accepted, full tuition scholarship
    Santa Clara RD- waiting
    Loyola Marymount RD- waiting
    Duke RD -waiting
    Colorado College RD -waiting

Since she got the Tulane/Honors acceptance, she's decided that she really, really wants to go there...but the $30K merit is not enough for us to be able to afford it. She applied for 2 full tuition scholarships at Tulane, and I think she has as good a chance as anyone--4.0 UW GPA (4.5 W), IB diploma candidate (most rigorous curriculum at her school), class rank 2 or 3; she's a great writer and her scholarship essays were really good. Tulane is pretty vague about when they will release decisions, so I'm obsessively checking the portal. I went ahead and booked a trip for Honors Weekend at the end of March, which was a gamble. I am sure that she could likely be happy at U of A if she doesn't get the Tulane scholarship, but man, it will be hard....

How are you all dealing with the waiting??
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 957 replies16 threads Member
    I think my D is a bit checked out from school. She was at a semester school in the fall where they crammed a whole year of honors classes into four months, so she has a really light schedule for spring. She has her language courses (her choice- Italian, Russian, Latin), studio art, and consumer math. Yup, she had that schedule planned and on her app when she was accepted ED. She is just enjoying her last season on gymnastics, and we are excited that her final regional competition is only 30 miles from our hometown. She also started working as a coach, so she’s been extra tired.
    · Reply · Share
  • 2019hope2019hope 201 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @Labmama I had to divorce myself from CC for awhile. You’ve had awesome results tho!!! Congratulations on that!!
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 514 replies29 threads Member
    Gettysburg doesn't get alot of love here, but it's a great school! Congrats to your daughter!
    · Reply · Share
  • momzilla2Dmomzilla2D 553 replies11 threads Member
    @anna8691 Congratulations to your daughter. She has some amazing options! Best of luck on the scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
    @Decal7 Congrats on the acceptances and the merit, and good luck with the waiting! It sucks to be in that type of limbo, but it will end, hang in there!
    · Reply · Share
  • AussiemomAussiemom 130 replies19 threads Junior Member
    @Decal7 Congratulations on the school acceptances with merit! What sport does she do? We're in the same boat (- merit aid).D has applied and is visiting a few of her top choices (on paper) in New England this weekend. She's really excited and I'm glad she's visiting in the winter to see if she thinks she can handle weather.. The waiting game is brutal! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share