Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

Replies to: Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

• My3DaughtersMy3Daughters Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    I agree with the statement above, though I have seen that students with low SATs/ APs but high GPAs (above 3.5) are getting merit aid, where applicants to the same schools with lower GPAs (3.3 and below) are not getting merit aid.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    @HamSBDad Congratulations, both on the acceptance and on a short, relatively painless application process!
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    @HamSBDad My S was similar. He sent a couple other apps, but they were quickly pulled w/o hearing a decision. I know it's not for everyone, but ED can be such a blessing. My S is way happier and less stressed out now that his college decision is made. I was a one-and-done ED application myself way back when, so I encouraged S to do the same if he felt strongly enough. It's worked out really well for us.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    Another pro-ED here! If it works for you, it’s indeed a huge blessing.
  • HamSBDadHamSBDad Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    @ChaosParent23 Congrats and happy to hear it also worked out for your son! My D is definitely more relaxed and enjoying her senior year.
    Which senior enjoys their senior year, especially if they got into a school they love, and just want to get HS over and go to college?
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    My daughter is enjoying her senior year! Yes she “can’t wait” to go to college, but she’s also really having fun right now. And she’s still working hard at her schoolwork ...even though she could slack off now a bit if she wanted... she’s not the type, but she’s enjoying the work more without the pressure of worrying if it’s good enough.
  • peachActuary73peachActuary73 Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    edited January 15
    @momof2atl We applied to a lot so that she'd get enough merit to leave the state as well. In retrospect, the scholarship and honors essays were more time consuming than the actual apps. 5/12 of the apps had no supplemental essays and 3 of those had no essays at all. We looked at Mizzou, because D was offered a summer program there a while back. Never went because another offer had more convenient transportation. Did your D visit?
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Mine can't wait to leave for college. However, he's just enjoying himself more and doing more of what he wants rather than what has to be done. He's about to dive head first into his final athletic season. Last year he ended up ranked 4th in state defensively. He'd like to see if he can improve upon that. He's also helping his favorite teacher teach a class. His grades are kinda "eh", but he's also reading and writing for himself more so I'm finding it hard to get on his case.
  • momof2atlmomof2atl Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @peachActuary73 - my eldest D is currently a senior at Mizzou, so we have had frequent visits - I’ve been delighted with her growth and maturity over her time there and she’s made a really great group of friends and gotten involved in all sorts of activities. She’s currently on her second intersession study abroad (after sophomore year as much as we love her, those 4 1/2 weeks of winter break became a bit much - so this break and last she’s travelled). Re: Transportation - you do have to get from the airport to the school, but we use the Mo-X bus and it’s pretty easy.
    My kid is kinda "done" with high school. Still working hard, but just wants to get over with the remaining courses. I think that she spent too much time looking at the college's course catalog, and and now her courses seem a bit boring and tedious. However, she really can't let her grades slip, because she was accepted ED and the college is looking over her shoulder... On the other hand, she likes her TAing work with the Honors English class, and is really excited about her upcoming last season of Orchesis.