right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

Replies to: Class of 2023 Results: Celebrate, Discuss, Support Here

• Decal7Decal7 28 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @Aussiemom thanks. DD is a pole vaulter; it’s her obsession. She also is a fair-good sprinter. We’re a New England family. Enjoy your visits!
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 523 replies30 threads Member
    @Decal7 My S had alot of the same schools on his list. It always interests me how kids tend to gravitate to similar places... but that's just me showing my nerd-ness. LOL

Is she attempting to walk on? My S is thinking about it for his sport, but may be facing a summer surgery in order to be healthy enough to play.
    · Reply · Share
  • Britmom5Britmom5 391 replies6 threads Member
    @Decal7 - we also have a fair amount of overlap at the same schools as you. good luck to your daughter!
    · Reply · Share
    @ChaosParent23- yes, she will be a walk on as a late bloomer in track. She spends hours each week speaking with various coaches; her HS coach is similarly involved. We’ll see how it goes!

I, too, am always intrigued (and affirmed) at the “overlaps.” Except for a couple toss-ins (free express application type of scenarios), most of the colleges are broadly similar. I like our cohort; for me, some of the underrated gems in American higher education. :-)

Best wishes to you, and your son.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 523 replies30 threads Member
    Good luck to your D as well!! It's so stressful. My S was accepted ED at Kenyon, so we're done with that but the athletics part is still very much in the air.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1113 replies31 threads Senior Member
    @Decal7 Congrats on the acceptances so far! My d also applied to 9 of those schools. Great list!
    · Reply · Share
    @taverngirl- thanks! Interestingly enough her very last cut was Rochester. She really liked it in unexpected ways, and had a great interview. But in the end decided to stick with the “small LAC” vibe, exclusively.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1113 replies31 threads Senior Member
    edited February 20
    @Decal7 Roch was the only non "small LAC" on d's list. I think in the end (it was Allegheny v. Dickinson v. Roch) size was the deciding factor, even though that's what she thought she wanted all along! She is thriving at Roch, so she clearly made the right choice for herself.
    edited February 20
    · Reply · Share
  • Scottish1Scottish1 3 replies0 threads New Member
    Thank you
    · Reply · Share
  • atanvarneatanvarne 75 replies5 threads Junior Member
    My D applied to six schools and has three acceptances in hand. Still waiting on three decisions (one likely yes, two maybe, one high reach so likely reject). She's going to have a hard time deciding, as the three in hand already are all excellent options and pretty similar. How on earth do kids with 10+ acceptances decide in the end? :-O If some number of those schools are not even attractive, why apply at all? Our calculus was that if D gets into one school at which she can be happy and we can afford, mission accomplished. What happens if a kid gets into 10 schools at which she can be happy and are affordable? YIKES!
    · Reply · Share
  • packacardspackacards 53 replies1 threads Junior Member
    D ended up applying to 14 schools (many the same as @Decal7 and others). She started with 10 then we panicked suddenly afraid they were too ambitious because they're all pretty small schools and what if they all happen to reject her? So far she's been accepted to 5 with no rejections (but the very selective ones are still to come). Ultimately she's just deferred the hard decisions and we piled on by making her add some likely schools. Oh well. Live and learn.
    · Reply · Share
  • atanvarneatanvarne 75 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @packacards and @Decal7 I'll be very interested to hear what happens! My D is also a T&F athlete, which is definitely part of the equation. But I'm really glad she didn't want to apply to more schools than she did--even with only a handful we need a spreadsheet to weigh the pros and cons (and dollars).
    · Reply · Share
  • TorrchaseTorrchase 56 replies6 threads Junior Member
    My son has applied to 10-12 schools. He intends on running cross country for 4 years.
    · Reply · Share
  • peachActuary73peachActuary73 405 replies0 threads Member
    @atanvarne We did 12 because we were chasing merit. One school was dad's request, so ill say 11 schools she thought she could have been happy with. Ultimately, I'd say when it comes down to decisions, it's probably no different than applying to 6. Having heard from 7, it was fairly easy to rule out 4. Maybe a little sadness at letting go, but pretty easy. The next 5 are the high reaches, so the likelihood is that rejection and/or lack of merit will aid that decision.

· Reply · Share
  • emptynesteryetemptynesteryet 205 replies4 threads Junior Member
    She applied to all of these schools and then chose a (just googled) barely Top 200 LAC in their only competitive program they have because she feels comfortable there.

Since then she has been accepted to: Denison, Rhodes, SMU, Texas A&M, UTD, waiting on others, but she doesn't care. She wants to go to her less rigorous, small town LAC in the middle of nowhere hopefully..... this will be a wise choice looking back.
    · Reply · Share
  • packacardspackacards 53 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @emptynesteryet maybe your D will be a catalyst for that school becoming a rising star and moving up that Top LACs list! :)
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1805 replies13 threads Senior Member
    edited March 11
    @emptynesteryet You should check out the finances of her chosen school. Many smaller LACs without large endowments are in danger of closing down in the next decade or so.
    edited March 11
    · Reply · Share
  • emptynesteryetemptynesteryet 205 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @MWolf it is small like 110 million.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom 1677 replies10 threads Senior Member
    My personal endowment threshold is about $100 million as I think an institution could weather the coming storm at least a while with that much. I would also gauge the shape of the campus and easily seen deferred maintenance as that $100m could go quickly if the place is falling apart.
    · Reply · Share
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb 3898 replies24 threads Senior Member
    She wants to go to her less rigorous, small town LAC in the middle of nowhere hopefully..... this will be a wise choice looking back.
    Seriously, the US higher education marketplace is strong enough that it's only just barely overstating things to say that as long as you steer clear of the for-profits and the places holding onto their accreditation by the skin of their fingernails for financial or administrative reasons, then honestly, you're good.
    · Reply · Share