Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard is it to get into Brown?

Replies to: How hard is it to get into Brown?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,015 Senior Member
    I completely understand your maternal instinct to submit more applications on her behalf. It is natural for us to want to protect our kids. Don't do it. Your daughter needs to learn resilience - that she can rebound from "failure" on her own.

Any chance that while holed up in her room she was researching and applying to other colleges? Maybe she was, but just didn't want to admit it?

Sorry you are going through this. I'd be feeling a combination of fury, helplessness and disappointment too if it was my DD. Ultimately you're going to have to remind her to "bloom where she is planted". If she does that well enough, she can go to Brown for graduate school. First, insist that pity time is over. Make a new plan. NOW. Life goes on.

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,188 Senior Member
    Now...regarding Brown.

For now, this student needs to put Brown on the back burner. Maybe an acceptance will come through and maybe not. In the meantime...the options have been clearly spelled out above. Either the STUDENT applies elsewhere...or not.

We know two kids who were tippy top students, and one was a Brown legacy. Neither got accepted to Brown. Both were deferred in the early round. Both went elsewhere to college.

One of these students was class Val, an Eagle Scout, 4.0 unweighted GPA, excellent SAT 2 scores (all 800). Weak link In the application was his CR SAT score which was 650 or so. He had an 800 on the math side.

Second kid (the legacy one) was top 10% of the class, >1500 SAT score, really solid and smart kid.

Both deferred, both rejected.

I don’t know how many deferred applicants at Brown actually end up with an acceptance, but I’m betting the %age is LOW. Brown has tons of very well qualified applicants and it can’t accept all of them.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,463 Senior Member
    @airway1 Most selective colleges have supplemental essays. I imagine that they have not been completed.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,015 Senior Member
    Schools are on break. There isn't hours of homework that needs to be turned in tomorrow. So there is no reason the daughter can't "fill in the basics" on her own applications.

How is the daughter going to learn resilience if mom steps in to save the day? There are far worse long term outcomes here than community college or a gap year.
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,695 Senior Member
    Brown's app is pretty extensive, so I'm guessing alot of the content could be repurposed. My advice to the OP is to convince D to apply to the state flagship or a safety so she has at least something come March when she will likely be rejected from Brown (96% RD reject rate).
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    As I told my kids, you will get accepted, rejected, deferred and wait listed by some really great colleges and they were. It's a numbers game and don't take it personally. If her teachers have known about her behavior and you must of seen this at home, I would suggest as others have counseling before going to college. There are so many pitfalls that you won't be able to save her from at college. I tell both my college kids... In the price of your tuition are many free services, tutoring, music, art, counseling etc and they should get their "monies" worth by taking advantage of everything the college experience offers. We told them if they go to counseling they don't need to share that with us unless they want to. There is a lot of stress on college campuses etc. Make sure your daughter can handle it or at least knows the resources to go to if she needs it.

It's also reality time.. Either she does her applications today or goes to a community College /gap year. She as suggested will most likely cut /paste a lot of it. If she needs help in getting organized then sure help with that. But she needs to do the physical work. She might want to quickly rewrite somethings. Not you. Good luck and be firm.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,188 Senior Member
    @ElleLakes

So why are your kid’s stats? SAT or ACT, GPA, ECs, etc.

Folks here are giving you blind device re: Brown admissions potential without that information.
  • Marcie123Marcie123 Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    University of Denver does not have any supplemental essays.

USC deadline is January 15.

Those are two I know offhand.
  • Nocreativity1Nocreativity1 Registered User Posts: 668 Member
    edited December 2018
    Just to add some personal perspective and experience. My kid currently attends Brown. Last year he experienced the same disappointment your daughter is going through having been deferred by his "dream" ivy school. He responded by being upset but determined. Spent ten days putting together solid applications to other schools. Yes there was a door broken in anger and some tense moments but he moved on out of necessity.

Fast forward to RD time. He wound up getting accepted by the dream Ivy (hardly expected) off of deferred status as well as several other great schools including Brown. (I don't want to offer false hope...he was lucky). He did however use the opportunity to go spend the night at his three top choices including the original dream school.

Upon further review as they say, dream school had slipped to third choice. Perspectives change when options become available. Closing a door and self pity won't change the situation.

With almost a year of hindsight he commented that getting deferred was a blessing as he would have wound up at a school other then his "perfect" fit. Morale of the story dream and perfect schools aren't always one and the same. Give yourself the chance to control your own outcome.

If you need motivation... Tell her to think how great it would be to have the ability say to Brown thanks but I have changed my mind...
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,038 Senior Member
    I wonder too about this thread. I am also kind of shocked that people aren't more shocked at the suggestion that the parent do the applications. As the moderator said, that is fraud. Maybe people are trying to be gentle or something.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    @compmom. I think people are giving her a break. This seems to be a call for help from the OP. We all want to do what's best for our kids.

This discussion has been closed.