Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard is it to get into Brown?

Replies to: How hard is it to get into Brown?

• QuantMechQuantMech Registered User Posts: 7,854 Senior Member
    I agree with most of what has been said previously. My suggestion would be to drop half of the remaining schools on the list. You can remove some based on net cost, and perhaps others that are just not so great a fit.

My daughter was also deferred from a very selective school in the December round. She had submitted 4 or 5 applications before the first decision came out. Based on the deferral, she added a couple of applications to colleges that were less selective than the school that deferred her application. Ultimately, she was admitted to 7 of the 8 schools where she applied--not the one that deferred her, but several of equal selectivity.

As someone pointed out earlier, the odds for deferred students are not that good. This can be hard to accept, but it seems to be the case. Also, if the school says that they may be waiting to see first semester grades, this may give a false impression: All grades of A in difficult classes (the ones originally listed on the application) may have no impact at all. If some aspect of the application really changes, and it's major, the outcome could be different after deferral, but otherwise, it's not likely.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 56,049 Senior Member
    Not sure if this has already been posted, but have your daughter read this table, showing last year’s ED/RD admissions rates: http://www.personalcollegeadmissions.com/early-decision. Last year Brown admitted almost half of its freshman class with ED applicants, dropping the RD admission rate to 6%.

It sounds like they may have admitted an even higher percent of the incoming freshman class in the ED round, so getting in RD will be extremely tough. While your daughter’s chances are not zero, they are extremely low. She must show not only her continuing strong grades (first semester senior year grades) but show something additional that she has accomplished since she submitted her application shat makes her a stronger candidate that could possibly, possibly tip her into the admissions pile. Has she won additional honors or awards? Had any additional accomplishments? Higher test scores? If she wasn’t a strong enough candidate for them to accept her in ED, she will need to be a stronger candidate now or she will not get in.

If she did not submit additional applications that were due today, or is not getting any others submitted that may be due shortly, she is likely looking at a gap year, CC, or selecting a school from the NACAC clearinghouse pool with available spots after admissions are completed. From what you’ve shared, she may benefit from a gap year for some emotional growth. Good luck.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 1,944 Senior Member
    edited January 1
    "The schools want kids who are actually enthusiastic and who pursue their various pursuits because of inherent interest and a keen curiosity about the world-not"

So why are these kids forced into taking subjects that don't interest them at all, because guess what, they need to get into selective colleges. Your statement makes sense for ECs, but not for academics, which is still the most important criteria in these places. Kids take courses for the specific reason of getting into good colleges. Otherwise someone who loved foreign languages could take those and skip math and science right? They're enthusiastic about it, curious, but they can't, because they have selective colleges as their goal.

"Stated differently their goal isn't to get in, but to take full advantage once in of whatever resources and opportunities are available to advance their personal broader goals and ambitions."

I'll bring up Deresiewicz (Yale professor of English) he says most of these kids pick econ to get into banking or consulting, as compmom also noted, pretty much going through the motions while they're there. Econ is still the number one major, with Comp Sci also popular, meaning their goals are to get a job after graduation.
  • nrtlax33nrtlax33 Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    edited January 1
    I have posted last spring the RD admitted rate for ED deferred students for class of 2021.

See https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21370405/#Comment_21370405

Among all the Ivies using ED, Brown has consistently admitted the lowest percentage of students in ED. I have seen many RD admits who applied to other non-ED top schools due to financial or other reasons.
  • melvin123melvin123 Registered User Posts: 1,365 Senior Member
    Fordham extended its RD application deadline this year to Jan 11. With your D’s stats I think it’s likely that she will receive some merit money.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,310 Super Moderator
    edited January 2
    In post #81, OP states they can only afford to pay about 10k/year max. That does not mean that the school will determine that this is all that they can afford to pay.

This means that D would need minimally a full tuition scholarship or OP needs to run the net price calculator to see if D really has any financially feasible options
  • megan12megan12 Registered User Posts: 795 Member
    I agree with everyone who says Brown is very hard to get into. My son had really, really high stats and was deferred ED, and later outright rejected, even though he had been invited to a special CS program before applying. My advice is to tell her to move on. Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    Of course, private preps want kids to go where they want. But Brown is considered the ultimate open curriculum by many exclusive prep kids whose education so far has been non STEM, liberal, open curriculum. I guess they like and are used to open curriculum. I wouldn’t know because I didn’t go to Brown.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,622 Senior Member
    That's a mighty generalization. The best preps are strong in STEM. Not all have the range of fluffy elecives. Nor do all kids have the sort of intellectual curiosity Brown wants.
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    edited January 10
    Yes, some generalization by default due to the nature of this forum. But many exclusive prep kids look to Brown as THE private college they want to go to. I didn't say anything about fluffy electives. Many private preps do good jobs of giving a very strong education in Humanities and writing. I would say for non-STEM kids, if you write well, college academics will be easy.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,901 Senior Member
    It strikes me that if the OP's D had an application strong enough to be deferred from Brown ED and financial constraints, that she should be concentrating on getting some apps into schools with deep pockets that tend to meet need without a lot of loans. Schools like Pomona, for example.
  • QuantMechQuantMech Registered User Posts: 7,854 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    Amen to post #116 by blossom!

It seems to me that some students take the most rigorous courses they can in high school, in order to have the "most rigorous curriculum" box checked. But when they arrive in college, the course selection is mostly about GPA maximization.

I understand how plans for law school and med school can drive this, but I wish that admissions committees in both areas would look more closely at the quality of courses on the transcript, and not just the summative GPA number. (This opinion is not based on family-member applications in either area.)
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,773 Senior Member
    Many employers, too, have minimum gpa cutoffs for internships and applicants.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,159 Senior Member
    My employer considers GPA for new hires-- but we look at transcripts as well and over time, get a very good feel for what constitutes rigor at different colleges. In addition to the notorious "gut classes" at various schools, it is clear when a kid is sandbagging academically for the sake of the GPA. A kid gets an A in a grad level course in Econometrics but took a "physics for poets" class to satisfy a physical science distribution requirement? That's a red flag (and don't jump down my throat.... there is no reason that a kid with the math and analytical chops to handle advanced econometrics work should be taking a physics class designed for literature majors who have never taken calculus).

This discussion has been closed.