Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I/he be worried about the school's location?

2»

Replies to: Should I/he be worried about the school's location?

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,622 Senior Member
    There's Humboldt county and there's Humboldt State. Did the tv show focus on the college?

Do you know what goes on in other cities or areas? My college friend's bf at the time grew mj in the farm or forest areas outside (you don't want to know which) elite flagship. (Amusingly, he's now a sought after landscaper.)

People worry about campus safety when the facts and figures refer to places kids don't go. A kid shouldn't be traveling to rural areas with turf wars. Or in cities, for that matter.
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 20,105 Senior Member
    Would a student drop UC Berkeley off their list because of gang violence in Oakland?

CSU Humboldt is located in Arcata, which is a friendly and very safe and walkable little college town located in a stunningly beautiful part of the state. Majestic redwoods, scenic beaches.

My son had a car while he was there, so I never made the drive until I went up for his graduation. It is a very long drive, but also very pleasant and scenic.

Students typically carpool around school breaks and vacations, so my son rarely made the drive alone. But my son was coming from the SF Bay area, and it's a 5-hour drive from there. I think you are underestimating drive time from southern California. More like 10 hours.

In terms of distance, Sonoma or Monterrey might be more geographically accessible alternatives for students wanting a residential college CSU option.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
    What are the stats regarding the crime rate in Oakland. Don't rely on school stats because they are deceptive-not purposely so. But the crime maps that show exactly where crime occurs are available on the internet. I'd have nixed Binghamton University had any of my kids expressed interest because gang violence is so high and because students are not hurt as byproducts of gang violence. Rather they are the targets of the violence. Scary stuff!
    edited January 6
    Gang violence in some parts of Oakland is very high -- but that wasn't my point. I could just have easily have mentioned Chicago or Baltimore.

The point is that many students attend colleges that are located near areas with notoriously high rates of violent crimes, but in general the students aren't hanging out in the crime-ridden areas. So the appropriate question is to look at the college community -- both the campus and the immediately surrounding areas where students live and socialize.

As someone else has already pointed out, the Alderpoint/Rancho Sequoia area that was the subject of the document is roughly 90 miles away from Arcata, and about a 2 hour drive. It's about 20 miles from Garberville, which is the point on US 101 where one would turn off to head that way --so basically that's as close as most people who are driving to or from Arcata are ever going to get.
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    @NJWrestlingmom I haven't seen the show myself, but from what I've read online about the show and the area, it is scary stuff. But, like you said unless he's buying/selling/stealing weed from the locals (which he won't be doing, I'm sure) there likely isn't anything to worry about and the place the show is talking about is 2 hours away from campus...so we'll see. Yeah, the main problem is the distance and logistics getting there and back...
    edited January 7
    Actually, he'd be quite safe to buy weed from the Arcata "locals" --- as there are well-established legal recreational cannabis dispensaries in town. (These were medicinal marijuana dispensaries that are now also authorized to sell recreational marijuana). There is a still a minimum age limit for purchasing -- but college kids have always managed to figure out how to get around the age problem for buying alcohol, I assume they'll do the same for marijuana.

I'm not advocating that he do so, of course -- but marijuana is now legal in California, which might make life harder for the mountain growers, who will face competition from legal cultivators.

And of course that's not an Arcata thing. California law allows sales to be regulated on the local level, but I assume that pretty much every region throughout the state now has reasonable options for purchase.
  • jeffgordonjeffgordon Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Humboldt County is larger than Rhode Island and Delaware combined. Northern Humboldt County, including Arcata and HSU, is a far cry from southern Humboldt County, the setting of Murder Mountain.

You and your student should focus on HSU and what it can offer you. What is your son's likely major? HSU is good in most areas, and especially excellent in natural sciences. They have an ocean-going research vessel and campus is adjacent to a redwood forest. Most first-years live on campus. Arcata is a college town, pedestrian friendly, and a car is not necessary.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 2,470 Senior Member
    There are so many colleges in this country.There is no reason to send a child someplace with a high crime rate. I thought Trinity College in CT looked interesting, but when I read about the surrounding area I didn't even suggest my D look at it. Who needs that extra worry?
    I'm not really worried about it..its more my son who is worried. And Humboldt state isn't his top choice, so we'll just leave it on the list and go from there. It's not like he would be going to area where murder mountain takes place...so we'll see. I do know that Arcata is a nice college town and I've heard nothing but good things about the town...
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    To give perspective on the distance Arcata is from Murder Mountain (2 hours driving) - Princeton is 11 miles, 15 min, drive straight shot into downtown Trenton. Talk about high crime! Nobody would ever send their kid to Princeton! LOL
    @NJWrestlingmom well, my S is the one who seems put off by it..so I'll let him decide...
    Yep, and isn't Princeton pretty safe?
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    It’s like most places - a mix. They’ve had their share of issues, but overall a beautiful, very wealthy area. I totally get why the show turned him off. You’ve gotta get the list down somehow! Lol
2»