Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Suggestions for Junior

gollycollegegollycollege Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
Hello!

I am a new member and am seeking help for my homeschooled junior. He wants to major in Finance and Accounting. His stats are:
SAT - 1540
GPA - 4.0 UW (Outside classes assign the grades)
AP's - Microeconomics (5), Macroeconomics (5), Statistics (4), taking Calc BC, and Chemistry this year. Will be taking a couple more next year.
Has taken challenging classes in Science, English & Philosophy. Reads widely and deeply.
He loves history and has studied Military History and Civil War deeply. He reads Shelby Foote for fun.:-)

EC:

Woodworking, CNC work
Creates and sells wooden items on Etsy. Makes a small profit
Legislative coordinator for the Youth and Govt. program - 3 years running
Fund raises for the above program to help send more students to Austin for the Annual Conference in Austin
Awarded Best Chairperson 2 years in a row.
Learning some basic financial modeling tools from Udemy
Has put together a History Bowl team with some of his friends for 2019.

We live in TX, and will definitely apply to UT Austin, A & M, University of Houston, UT Dallas.
Our help for his college fund exceed $20- $25K a year.

Any suggestions for other places that might offer good merit aid? We would not like him to burdened with loans. Thankyou very much in advance.

Replies to: College Suggestions for Junior

• ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Rice?
  • gollycollegegollycollege Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Oh, it's a lovely school, but I am not sure that our budget of $25K max would cover the cost of Rice. We ran the EFC and it shows our contribution near to $39K.
    25K/year that is...
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    edited January 8
    Yikes, yeah I can see how that would be off-putting. However, they also consider everyone for merit upon acceptance & they are 100% need met. Average aid pkg is $46k.

That being said, I think where your child may find the most $$ are places that don't typically see kids like him. What are some of the schools alot of his peers, and those in recent years, matriculate? I'd stay away from those, if possible. One of the best pieces of advice we got when we first started looking at schools was "find where you will be a unicorn."
    Ok, I know that sounds odd, maybe even corney. But it makes sense! If a school hasn't seen someone like your child before, they'll be intrigued from the start. And often... throw some incentive ($$$) to get that child to come to their school.

* Edited to add. There's also a thread at the top of the Parents Forum all about schools w good merit aid. Probably some really great suggestions there as well.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,790 Senior Member
    Does Rice stack merit with need based aid? If they don’t, then it likely doesn’t matter if they offer some merit. Also, as with all “meets need” colleges, it is the school’s definition of need that they meet, not necessarily yours.
    Thank you!I will be sure to check out the list on the Parents Forum. To be honest, we didnt even investigate further if Rice stacked merit with need based. Just the EFC and its COA put brakes on going further. Perhaps I should look more closely.
    Most kids around here want to / go to UT Austin, or A & M, Texas Tech. UT Austin is considered a target school for investment banking, which is what he wants to do.
    Thankyou for the "unicorn" suggestion! I am sorry I lumped my reply to you and another member together. Newbie!
    Yeah! It would be nice to find a place where he would be a different student from what the institution is used to. The trick, it seems, is in finding one that also fits the budget.
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    edited January 8
    If you are looking at Texas schools then let him apply to UT, Rice, A&M, Baylor, SMU and see how much aid and merit is offered to find out whic one is best for your child.

At 16 he may fancy investment banking but in few years, he may learn it’s not his interest so don’t arrange your ducks for that.
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 810 Forum Champion
    edited January 8
    He would be a good contender for the SMU Presidential Scholarship. SMU gives a lot of merit aid and has a very good business school.Trinity in San Antonio is also worth a look and gives merit aid. https://new.trinity.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/academic-merit-scholarships-first-year-students-trinity
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,167 Senior Member
    He can major in any quant rich field to get a job in investment banking and some firms love philosophy and history majors as well. And Econ is a solid major as well. Many firms run their own finance "bootcamps" for new hires to learn the accounting/finance piece, so he doesn't need to focus on that in college unless he wants to.

If he's actually interested in accounting (i.e. becoming a CPA) than UT Austin is one of the top programs in the country. If he can get in and it's affordable, for my money he'd need a compelling reason to go somewhere else if that's what he wants to do.
  • eb23282eb23282 Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    Richmond offers great merit and has an excellent accounting program
    Thank you for all the suggestions! We will explore Trinity, SMU, Richmond in addition to UT Austin and other TX schools.
  • LOUKYDADLOUKYDAD Registered User Posts: 820 Member
    edited January 8
    With his stats he would receive a 4 year automatic merit award (Presidential scholarship) at Alabama of $26k a year. OOS tuition is under $30k so it should definitely be within budget.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.php

Alabama’s undergrad accounting and business school are well regarded.

https://culverhouse.ua.edu/our-college/mission-vision/points-of-pride/
    We will add UA to the list. Thank you!