Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

AP vs PSEO advice please?

2»

Replies to: AP vs PSEO advice please?

• momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 557 Member
    My daughter did two years of all dual enrollment - she registered the same time as college students based on number of credits.

While overall state schools may be better if the goal is transfering credits many schools do take them but you need to do your homework. My daughter is attending a private school that accepted all her credits. It isn't a top school but it was her dream school that fortunately worked for us financially. She started as a freshman with advanced standing (junior). We are not actually planning on her graduating in 2 years but it gives more options for things like internships/coops, double major, classes for fun, graduate classes etc. Chances are she will graduate in 3 years with a double major and 2 grad classes but time will tell. It can be tricky doing honors programs but that is also school specific.
  • 1Lotus1Lotus Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Such great information...thank you all! D does not know where she would like to go to college after hs. She likes science/biology, math. She is also a great writer and artist, but not looking in that direction for college. I encourage her that it is okay to change her mind as she is discovering new subjects. Since she doesn't have a firm idea of major, it is a little more difficult to zero in on a future college. She does have an interest in a master's or PhD, so finding merit would be nice. Thanks for info.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,187 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    I don't think PSEO v. AP should be about credit transfer, in part because if he's ain't at the most competitive privates neither will fully transfer.
    Advantages to pseo:
    - post-AP classes (or, took AP French, can take the next level in the sequence )
    - different subjects not offered at AP level (Anthropology, music history, Philosophy....)
    - branches of the discipline that aren't typically taught in HS, such as discrete math or biostatistics, developmental psychology...
    - an opportunity to accelerate in a subject for which the student is talented

Advantages to AP
    - right at the HS
    - slower pace, more hand holding
    - familiar classmates
    - no College transcript that follows you to college med school law school.

In my opinion, PSEO should NOT be used to get into weedout classes early. These require skills that are already difficult for freshmen. So, no taking organic chemistry as a HS junior even if you got an A in AP chem sophomore year ;)
2»