Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

No Bio until 12th grade?

13»

Replies to: No Bio until 12th grade?

• mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,318 Senior Member
    @skieurope you could have skipped the AP Bio project at the risk of flunking AP Bio and having that EA/ED acceptance rescinded.

No lab reports on ping pong or on the physics of the Star Wars movies which they also watched. :) There might have been more complaints from higher ups, but they all did very well on the test.

I actually liked the AP Bio project, my older son found out what dh does (cancer research) and he was forced to explain it in a way we could all understand.
  • mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,555 Senior Member
    Back in the very old days, the honors science sequence was physics in 10th, chem in 11th and AP Bio in 12th. However, that changed a few years after I graduated because the most advanced kids wanted to be able to take AP Chem, which was not possible with the honors track. The idea was that bio built on the skills learned in physics and chem. The problem was that the physics and chem teachers were among the best I ever had, but the AP bio teacher was not.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,699 Senior Member
    Interesting @mom2and - in my old days (30 years ago) there was no honors requirement and we could go straight to AP. I took AP bio in 10th, AP chem 11th, and AP physics in 12th. That was the standard sequence in my HS.
  • books4lifebooks4life Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Loved Post #28. @skieurope you have the right amount of devil and angel in you to moderate this forum.
  • NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 2,366 Senior Member
    edited January 10
    First question: Does it really matter? EVERY high school requirements are different. Funny thing is, some schools don't even offer Honors classes in the science division. My high school science went like this:
    8th: Earth Science
    9th: Biology
    10: Chemistry
    11: Physics or AP science
    12: Physics or AP science
    For someone who was not accelerated
    9th: Earth Science
    10th: biology
    11: Chemistry
    12: Physics or AP biology (Or both if schedule allows it)

Taking Biology until 12th grade won't affect your child chances to his/her dream college.

My high school only offers AP Biology in science! Yet, people still went to some prestigious colleges!
13»