Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Update colleges re new EC?

pittsburghscribepittsburghscribe Registered User Posts: 381 Member
My daughter just found out she was selected to head up a STEM outreach initiative at her school. Do you think she should bother reaching out to the schools at which she has outstanding apps in to update them? She has a number of extracurricular activities so not lacking in that department. Just don't know whether it's a good opportunity to connect with her assigned admissions officer or would simply be annoying them. Thoughts?

Replies to: Update colleges re new EC?

• mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,932 Senior Member
    I would transmit that information to each school. You don't need to do it with blaring brass trumpets, but a professional letter or note (with the date) about this new sign of leadership could well be sent.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,585 Senior Member
    Agree. And a short, relevent description cannot hurt. It will go into her file, be seen by all who read her app.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,019 Senior Member
    I wouldn't. Everyone's life progresses during this time. I would think admissions would be overwhelmed if everyone did this. A very prestigious international or national award maybe, but not a school EC. I don't think it would make much difference anyway. (If she has an interview she could mention it.)
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,129 Forum Champion
    It is fine if she keeps it short and sweet. She could give the update and confirm her interest in the college in just a few sentences.
  • pittsburghscribepittsburghscribe Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    Appreciate all the input! I think she's leaning against it because she thought it wasn't appropriate, but I will pass on the responses so she can decide.