Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where does the college mail come from?

13»

Replies to: Where does the college mail come from?

• awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,889 Senior Member
    edited January 28
    Some schools are more aggressive than others.
    I somehow got two things (small postcards) total from UChicago, and then dozens of emails from schools like Swarthmore (which are just the worst, most obnoxious emails in college marketing IMO), Xavier, Seton Hall, and LIU Post.
    I got a few gorgeous mailers from schools like Duke and Vandy. Entire magazines from Dartmouth and Amherst. Quaint booklets from Princeton and Yale.
    I didn't apply to any of those. (Though I would have.)

Ironically, I got almost nothing from Rice, which is where I'm headed in the fall.
    YMMV.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 1,011 Senior Member
    I think that all college mail slips through from alternative universes in which our kids showed interest in each of the different schools from which we get junk mail. There is simply no possible way that a single Earth could produce that much junk mail.

We changed our kid's name (we've been using the new name at the school since freshman year, but she took her PSAT 10 with her old name), and we receive junk mail addressed to both names.

I hope that they'll stop soon. We already have seen a major drop in the amount of junk mail that we receive. The more selective schools stopped in December. Yesterday we got only a single piece of college junk mail. Hopefully it won't start again in the summer.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,253 Senior Member
    Like @Mastadon , we continued to get college ads addressed to DS#2 after he had graduated from college!
  • TimeFlies2TimeFlies2 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    This continues to creep me out. Sometimes we get mail from schools recently searched on line. Is this co-incidence or is Big Brother watching our computer? Do they know which schools are on the Naviance list? Mailings drastically increased when DS registered for the SAT, which makes sense at least.

But today we got 2 issues of "Private colleges & universites" which looks like ads for colleges. Does anyone else know what I'm referring to. Published by "Carnegie Dartlet." DS's is 271 pages thick, and DD's is 111 pages. How are people customizing mailings to my kids? His PSAT score was higher, does that explain all of this?

I'm probably overthinking it, but with twins anything that appears targeted, rather than random, stands out.
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    @OHMomof2 If it is targeted they don't always do the best job. Both my kids got stuff from ivy league schools, neither of them had a chance of getting in. They did get a lot of mail from out of state schools that California students typically apply to and also from a lot of schools that would like to have California students attend and apply to add geographical diversity...
    I think colleges, especially selective ones, just want more people to apply so they can deny them. I don't know how many of these schools had a genuine interest in my kids.
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    @TimeFlies2 D21 got one of those in the mail today - the 265-page version. Asking her to register at private colleges dot com.
  • MjkacmomMjkacmom Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I think scores make a difference, D19 has pretty high stats, she received mail from Princeton, Harvard, and Yale while her older siblings did not.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,343 Senior Member
    edited February 13
    Marketing mailing is obviously successful when the recipient feels especially chosen. That might be 101.
    With us, no one school really dominated in the mailings..we got stuff from all over the place.
  • Busybee01Busybee01 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    edited February 13
    Colleges send some minimum rules to marketing companies (GPA ranges, test scores ranges) and these companies buy cheap mailing lists every chance they get. Sometimes you notice patterns: you show interest in JHU on Parchment and within a month you receive ads from ALL colleges in Maryland. They should not influence your list, but I can tell you that my son didn't even consider U of Chicago and Columbia partly/mainly because of their aggressive mail campaign. I am not saying my son could have had a good chance there, but like everyone else, he had his list of reach schools. We still spent some money on registration fees, but not on these two!
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,503 Senior Member
    Aggressive mailing was a big turn off for my daughter too.
    With the schools my kids were interested, they went on the websites and requested info...