Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HELP! How to handle a disaster?

13»

Replies to: HELP! How to handle a disaster?

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,876 Senior Member
    How much will travel, housing, visa, insurance and schooling cost in the UK?

If the appeal in Germany won't work, why couldn't she retake the same classes and finish in Germany, next semester?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,638 Senior Member
    ^ because classes are generally offered either in the fall or the spring, not both.

• TigerleTigerle Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    @menloparkmom , tuition fees in the UK may be prohibitively expensive, and she would not be able to start befor the fall term, necessitating a plan for the spring and summer. I don’t think she can work anywhere in the EU. The best financial plan would be to try and make staying work
    And I sincerely hope that apart from this snafu, the rest of the experience hasn’t been so horrible as to necessitate leaving the country.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,601 Senior Member
    Both of my kids studied abroad by doing direct admit. One went to Australia and another to UK, and both of them enjoyed their experience. My niece is doing her one year master program at LSE now and a whole year tuition is around 25K. I would rather spend a year getting a degree rather than spend 3 years even if it is "free." The reason I put quote around free is because it is not free. You kid would need to pay additional w years of room and board, and she would also lose out on 2 years of earning. Assume she would be making 50K/yr, that's 100K.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,601 Senior Member
    edited February 10
    I am a bit surprised at how difficult it is in Germany. I would think they would execute with such precision that it would run very smoothly.
    Asia is all about who you know to get things done. My father was very happy when he came to the States to find everything was very rule based. As long as he followed published policies then he could get things done. If a mistake was made by an institution, they would take the responsibility to fix it.
    @oldfort , when looking at the rest of the country, it is astonishing how badly a German university can be run. Though there are regional differences, too, and I hope that no administration in the state I work for would aspire to such incompetence.
    There was a book that came out about German universities when I was a grad student and made quite a stink, called “Rotten to the core”. Some institutions have made great strides since, but clearly not all. It’s individual students, who mostly come very well prepared from secondary school, and individual professors, who are mostly excellent in their subjects, who make the difference. And everyone tries not go get held up by everything else. It’s usually all manageable, but it just wasn’t fun (I couldn’t wait to get out) but if you’re foreign and don’t speak the language well, everything is so many levels harder.
    It isn’t just for professional reasons I hang out here ( I work in international student finance), I also want to be prepared to offer more options to my children when the time comes than I thought I had.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,638 Senior Member
    @chicabuena : did you see my PM?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,896 Senior Member
    Isn't much of this an unfamiliarity with the "rules" and expectations? The warning is not to assume, when you don't speak or read the language.

Has OP's D missed that 4 week mark?
    @lookingforward, the 4 week period begins to run from the date of proper notification, which, according to OPs latest post, appears to not even have happened until the D was given her certificate of exmatriculation!

And may not have happened even then, because instructions on how to appeal need to be included with the notification - if she never received that, it should be a year.

Additionally, the university was required to first notify the student that moneys are still outstanding and that dismissal is imminent before they could legally dismiss.

If the administration observed none of these procedural steps, which they are required to do by law, the dismissal is unlawful and they must reinstate. And they should do so on appeal alone, without making a foreign student retain a lawyer and take them to court. Like I said, there may have been an astonishing level of incompetence shown on the part of the administration.

But it’s up the OP and her daughter now on whether she wants to take up the fight or not. If so, I’ve let her know I’m happy to help! I’m frankly upset on their behalf and embarrassed on my country’s!
13»