right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My 16 year old son, smart but unmotivated. Can he get into an engineering program in Florida?

13»

Replies to: My 16 year old son, smart but unmotivated. Can he get into an engineering program in Florida?

• SybyllaSybylla 3921 replies50 threads Senior Member
    ABET is a minimum requirement for engineering students that want to be engineers.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78644 replies697 threads Senior Member
    https://floridapolytechnic.org/wp-content/uploads/Academic-and-Student-Affairs-Minutes-DRAFT_3.15.17-2.pdf from 2017 says that some sort of ABET accreditation decision is expected in fall 2019.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23268 replies17 threads Senior Member
    ABET is more necessary in certain engineering fields. Some schools are dropping the certifications because they don't feel they are necessary.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78644 replies697 threads Senior Member
    edited February 8
    Usually, the schools dropping ABET accreditation are those already very well regarded in the subjects, and PE licensing is not that common in the subject (they tend to keep ABET accreditation for civil, where PE licensing is common).

But new engineering programs without existing reputations want ABET accreditation as an indication of meeting an expected standard of quality.
    edited February 8
    · Reply · Share
  • mamommamom 3682 replies24 threads Senior Member
    My now almost 26yo S sounds like yours. My S scored very high on SAT 2290/ACT 34. But, he was a B+ student. Just would not do the HW. Always got great test scores but HW pulled his grade down. He ended up attending a college on a full tuition scholarship and flunked out first year. We had him tested and found out he had a very high IQ and was basically unmotivated by grades. He refused to do busy work. He attended the local state U and CC for two years while working and living at home. Loves going to school, but will not do busy work. We stopped paying for school and fast forward, he is now an apprentice in the local pipefitters union and loves, loves, loves it. He is making good money and enjoying life. He is confident and proud of his job.

As someone in the engineering field, I will tell you that an unmotivated kid will probably not do well as an engineering major. It is a ton of work, a lot of "busy" work and if he is not motivated and willing to give it his all, he will probably fail. My D attends one of the Claremont Consortium schools, which includes Harvey Mudd (eng and STEM). She tells me the Mudders are all about academics. They do not have a lot of free time or participate to the same degree on the sports teams or clubs.

OTOH it is easier to switch out of eng to another major than try to switch in. So if he is really decided on eng, and can get accepted to a program, better to start there than try to switch later.
    · Reply · Share