Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Elective Choices

Replies to: Elective Choices

• bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,435 Forum Champion
    he should have:

Math
    Science
    English
    Social Studies
    Foreign language
    Gym

Are you saying he has 3 periods after that for electives?

Also look at what are required electives...like economics or art or something.

If he really has 3 I would suggest that 1 of those 3 be something else to try. When else do you get to learn/explore things for free?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,730 Senior Member
    edited February 7
    Marian wrote:
    Sometimes, kids are expected to fulfill nonacademic requirements, like fine arts or technology education, through their electives. So it may be necessary at some point to include something that isn't related to chorus.

Fine arts are commonly considered academic courses, and chorus is a performing art that should fall under that category anyway.

But, yes, do check whether there are additional requirements (for either high school graduation or colleges of interest) that may require using elective space on.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,237 Super Moderator
    edited February 7
    Fine arts are commonly considered academic courses
    Non-core might have been a better descriptor.
    chorus is a performing art that should fall under that category anyway.
    School requirements vary. Some, like mine, required breadth in arts, so you could not fulfill the arts requirement in only one discipline.
  • ruthstoopsruthstoops Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    @bopper Yes 3 electives (or more) after those core. And yes, I agree on the trying things. But you seem to be in the minority on this opinion. Still a bit torn. Of course he's not locked into ALL chorus all four years. But it's looking hard to pivot out because it's a huge department with all these excellent groups, built in social life, and fabulous instructor.
  • TS0104TS0104 Registered User Posts: 623 Member
    Yes, let him take chorus! 1) He wants to and he enjoys it 2) It sounds like he will likely end up with "deep" extracurriculars from it, which is nice for college apps 3) yes it's great to have kids explore lots of options, but you can do this with outside interests, sports, classes, clubs (high school has lots of clubs) etc...and I'm guessing that many kids are a little less exploring by high school, and a little more into knowing what they want. 4) he might change his mind anyway, down the road.

Another poster asked where else you could explore things for free, and one idea is Boy Scouts! My DS explored many new things through Scouts...skiing, aviation, archery, rapelling, etc etc etc. Same for Girl Scouts.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,689 Senior Member
    there is NOTHING wrong with doing chorus all 4 years! He has found something that gives him joy!
    WHY on earth would you even CONSIDER making him cut back on that?
    My DS's ONLY elective classes in HS were music related, and he did just fine when it came to college admissions.
    Colleges DONT want JUST "well rounded" students. They also want "pointy" students- those who demonstrate intense interest in one area.

relax mom!! Let your DS enjoy school..
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 2,004 Senior Member
    edited February 8
    I'm still a little confused on this, are you saying that the typical schedule for freshman at your hs is 5 core, 3 electives, PE and then a lunch in there somewhere, so like 10 potential time slots if you max out on the electives? That sounds like a lot. The electives are not going to make or break for admissions imo, in CA high schools or at least most in bay area, you only have seven or eight slots, and if you're playing a sport, the last period has to be free for practice, so basically six classes, one or two electives max and you have to take Art for the UC/CSU requirement and PE is mandatory in 9th grade.

The issue you could have is if the hs offers a lot of electives and you son has four years of three chorus classes, when maybe other kids are using them for a second foreign language, or computer science or business to stretch themselves. Adcoms could question the intellectual curiosity but I cannot believe they'd get into that level of detail.

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,638 Senior Member
    Colleges don't want well-rounded applicants. They want a well-rounded class.
    It means 1) academically well-rounded student = took all 5 cores all 5 years, has made academic choices that indicate where academic interest lie (ie, in Jr/Sr years, correspond to major as indicated on application)+2) EC-pointy so they can fill a role on campus. The combination of admitted students should thus be 1) academically: all, likely to graduate and succeed 2) each, needed to make campus life thriving and possibly news worthy and thus brining something unique, in depth, at a high level, and different from what others bring.

If he's a good chorus singer, look into St Olaf (+ Luther, Concordia Moorhead..) which have excellent choirs and always need good male singers. They even offer music scholarships.
    I'm not sure where I said I was primarily interested in the impact on college admissions. My son tends to tunnel into a safe space and avoids branching out. That concerns me and even my husband, who is rarely concerned about anything. And yes the kids take many electives - at least 3 a year. I am hardly considering wrenching chorus away from him. It would mean one less chorus.
    edited February 10
    2 choral électives+1other = everyone wins. :)
    Theater tech, culinary arts?
    The choral electives add up to 3 electives. I think for this year, I'll let it go and reassess as he proceeds.
    edited February 10
    Yes, he'll just be a freshman. High School will be unsettling enough on its own.
  • gwnorthgwnorth Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    Yes 3 electives (or more) after those core.

I agree that sounds odd. When you add in lunch that would be 10 (or more) periods per day. Are some of those before or after school?
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 584 Member
    How many periods a day does your school have? Are they all full year 5 day a week electives during the regular school day?
  • 3js3ks3js3ks Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    I would let him take the electives that he wants if they fit into his requirements. Let them have a little fun in high school, is my opinion. My current U of M freshman took two band classes senior year, it did not hurt her academically.