Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Elective Choices

13»

Replies to: Elective Choices

• tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    edited February 11
    I agree that sounds odd. When you add in lunch that would be 10 (or more) periods per day. Are some of those before or after school?

Not every school designates a class period for lunch. Our school is on a block schedule - 4 classes per day - plus lunch. There is also an optional "zero hour" period that is usually for the marching band, orchestra, athletics, newspaper, yearbook, and higher-level technology classes that either practice during that time or update the website with daily news. There may be other classes as well. So, yes, it is possible to take what you consider 9 academic classes periods plus lunch.
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad Registered User Posts: 841 Member
    Well, 8th grade is a bit early to decide if a boy is a good singer or not! My son started choir in 8th grade. His voice was changing. He surprised us all and made all state choir in 9th grade.
    Let your son take chorus. If there’s built-in community and a great teacher it’s all good. It may turn out to be a really fantastic experience, not to mention all the skills learned by being in a music ensemble. All my kids did music, art, theatre in high school, multiple electives every year, and it has often been tough to work in the academic stuff around every possible music class. They did explore other interests as well, along the way. My youngest is a senior (and the only one pursuing a career in music). Not a single regret. It was not a problem for college admissions. If anything it was a positive.
13»