Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Small school for B student

Replies to: Small school for B student

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,936 Senior Member
    edited February 8
    College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, Maine (330 full time students & about 20 part time)

Meets none of your stated parameters but:

Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida (about 2,600 students 65% female)

Eckerd College in St. Pete, Fla. (1,910 students) (66% female)

Can you define your son quirkiness ?
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,803 Senior Member
    What is his exact college GPA? He'll have quite different options depending on what kind of B we're talking about.
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,277 Senior Member
    https://www.unca.edu/

https://www.appstate.edu/

One of the hidden gems of North Carolina nestled up in the mountains, UNC Asheville. It is a public LAC in the mountains of Asheville. It has a quirky population and offers a fantastic education with the resources of UNC but a smaller and diversified campus.

Another campus (UNC) nearby in Boone, NC is Appalachian State. Both are on the smallish side compared to NC State and UNC Chapel Hill. Both offer unique and varied majors often not seen at the other larger campuses. I have a niece and nephew who both attend App State and rave about the school, classes, friends and education. She is in the nursing program and he has participated in some great internships. Both are on the shy side so it was a perfect fit (with one also suffering from anxiety).

Hope this helps.

Kat
    edited February 8
    Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York (2,636 students, 60% female).

Environment & campus culture is more important than size of school.

I think that a school where everyone knows one another can be risky for a quirky student.

• megan12megan12 Registered User Posts: 805 Member
    I would say Gettysburg, Dickinson, Susquehanna, Ursinus, F & M, Juniata, and Muhlenberg for PA. Union for NY, plus there's some other small colleges in NY and MA that I don't know much about. Do a search and see what comes up. What about Fairfield? I have a cousin who goes there and loves it. It's a great school, and it's close to home.
  • Akqj10Akqj10 Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    Saint Michaels in Vermont. We found it to be the most friendly college of all out tours.
    Cornell College in Mount Vernon, Iowa (999 students) Students take just one course at a time. Similar to Colorado College.

Wabash College in Indiana. (864 students 100% male).

Bennington College in Vermont. (724 full time students 65% female).

Sarah Lawrence students tend to be quirky.
  • eb23282eb23282 Registered User Posts: 343 Member
    @katwkittens As much as I like UNC-A as quirky, more than 60% of students live off campus. That might not fit the profile of a small school where everyone knows each other. I think a school with everyone living on campus would be much more desirable.

And I've heard GREAT things about App State, but that has almost 20k students and definitely doesn't fit the desired profile. But it's nice to hear of your niece and nephew's success there. It really does sound like a great school and a hidden gem for us northerners.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,190 Senior Member
    edited February 8
    @katwkittens. I just lectured in North Carolina at a medical conference. A lot of the doctors had their kids going to both of those schools and loving it with UNC also. Ashville from what I hear is a really up and coming art community also.

Also I send Juniata and Muhlenburg
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 5,798 Senior Member
    @KM0564, you may want to contact his boarding school college advisor to see if s/he has any suggestions. Most BSes will assist kids who have ended up with a college mismatch.
  • katwkittenskatwkittens Registered User Posts: 2,277 Senior Member
    @eb23282
    I wasn't referring to App's size so much as the feel and friendliness of the school and their school spirit. My kiddos attended much larger schools in-state publics (NCSU & UNC CH), OOS publics (UNM) and some much smaller OOS schools (P'ton and service academies) and smaller in-state public (NC A&T). And in comparison App state feels much smaller than most of those except NC A&T. Some of these schools have large grad programs as well that can overwhelm undergrads with so many more buildings and students. Kenan-Flager at UNC CH has so many new buildings and grad students with undergrad it dwarfs some of the undergrad buildings on campus (and that is just the business school). With the hospital, med school, dental school, nursing programs, pharmacy, OT, PT the campus and plethora of people is just massive.

So compared to Carolina the feel and atmosphere of App State (ASU) seems really small, granted the numbers say otherwise. I guess it is a parent's point of view from doing the move-ins and numerous campus visits!

OP's son's needs sound very similar to those students I am familiar with and thought it might be a good fit.
  • ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Gettysburg really doesn't get enough love here. I second that suggestion.
    How about Franklin & Marshall? It's only a little bigger than 2,000 students. Campus is tiny but so pretty! I know FYs are (breaking out my inner Harry Potter) sorted into residential colleges very similar to Ravenclaw, Slytherin, etc... I'd have to look up if that continues after FY though as I'm not sure.
    Ohio is also chock full of small, quirky, friendly LACs if he's interested in looking a little further west.
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 8
    @ChaosParent23 While Gettysburg and Franklin & Marshall (both less than an hour from my home) are excellent small schools, I don't really see them as the best schools for a shy, quirky non-party type of kid, particularly one who wants to fit in as a transfer student. Gettysburg in particular has a strong Greek scene and mostly attracts more outgoing, social types. I do know a very quirky girl who is a senior there, but her mother has said she has struggled with the social aspect. Also, I would imagine both of these schools would be a reach for a transfer student with a B average. I second the suggestion of Susquehanna and would add Juniata and possibly Moravian, Elizabethtown, and Lebanon Valley. Allegheny also has a very friendly, supportive atmosphere. There are a ton of good, small LACs in Pennsylvania and Ohio, though some may be farther from Connecticut than may be ideal for a student with anxiety issues.
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    edited February 8
    If he doesn't mind going a bit further, what about Eckerd in Florida? A B student should be able to get in ( I admit I don't know much about their policy on transfers). It's a small liberal arts school that was included in Colleges that Change Lives....could be worth a look.

There is also Monmouth in New Jersey, don't know much about it, but I do have a friend who went there and really liked it. It is expensive though...

And lastly, what about Juniata in Pennsylvania? The only downside I've heard is that it's kind of isolated (in a small town)
  • natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    edited February 8
    College of the Holy Cross in Mass (good for a B student?)

Endicott College in Beverly, Mass: A co workers kid, who also went to my kid's school went there and enjoyed it. He has a decent job now and speaks fondly about his time there. It seems like a good school for a B student...I don't know anything about transferring in, but again, could be worth a look!

Clark University, Mass

Iona College in NY

Mc Daniel in MD

Suffolk University in Boston

Drew University in NJ

Ithaca College in NY

Alfred University also in NY

Cabrini University in PA

Albright College, PA

I know some of these schools may be a bit bigger then you're looking for, but they're not huge..and they'd probably have what you're looking for...