Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Small school for B student

Replies to: Small school for B student

• natty1988natty1988 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    I know you aren't looking out west, but just in case: Beloit in Wisconsin, Carroll in Montana, Westminster in Utah, and Linfield and Willamette in Oregon would be good for a B student....
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,730 Senior Member
    Many of the northeastern states have public LACs (see the COPLAC members list), so whichever is in state for you may be worth va look.
  • turtletimeturtletime Registered User Posts: 1,204 Senior Member
    I am going to second Clark. Very small and campus. Known for being quirky and accepting.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,240 Senior Member
    I don't think it IS important to have reach or OOS schools on your list. If you like the schools you are applying to and would be happy to go to any of them, you don't need to reach or go OOS. The majority of college students attend instate schools, many community colleges. Do what makes you happy and what you can afford.
  • nanny1nanny1 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    What about Muhlenberg in Pennsylvania? I think they have a little over 2,000.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    I agree that a small school could be risky for a student with a quirky personality. I also question if transferring will sole the issue. It seems to me starting all over again could create greater anxiety and he would "find the same thing only different" at a new school. He would have to be really willing to work hard and put in the effort to get involved and make connections as a transfer. It is so much easier as a Freshman when everyone is trying to fit in and make friends.

IMHO, I would focus on trying to improve the situation where he is and start by trying to spend a few weekends on campus. Maybe even just one of the two night? Stay Friday night and come home Saturday afternoon?

Someone mentioned Siena. I would caution against that. That population is not quirky and I know so many students who live there for a semester and then move off campus because it just isn't "all that." Clark - yes quirky and perhaps some of the other MA LACs.

I feel for you - good luck.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,264 Senior Member
    edited February 10
    If this were my child I would be looking for small schools with happy campuses. And a group tolerant of different types of people without edging into the downright weird student body.

that means of the ones mentioned

Muhlenberg (happy campus, Greek life is under control)
    Drew (happy and pretty campus, no Greek life)
    Beloit -- happy campus and fun quirky people -- but too far for you I know.
    Skidmore
    Wheaton in Mass

I've heard good things about St Mary's of Maryland -- small, accepting, like a country club on the Chesapeake, basically happy group
    Also have heard good things about American in DC -- students tend to be accepting and happy

Way out of your geographic range, I know happy students also at Southwestern University outside of Austin TX. Very old pleasant and pretty campus and generally happy, arty, accepting student body.

I would avoid--
    - Gettysburg and F&M -- too heavy with the Greek Life IMHO unless you feel that Greek might help him socialize.
    - Sarah Lawrence and Bennington -- Too isolated for Bennington and SL is more than quirky. There's a lot of neuroses there and it's tolerated quite well there--they do a good job -- but do you want him to be around a neurotic socially angsty population?
    - College of the Atlantic--great little school and town it's in is gorgeous, but maybe a little too isolated for him.
    - Bard--too self-consciously outre for him to feel warmly welcomed IMHO
  • hophop Registered User Posts: 882 Member
    Goucher in Baltimore
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    My daughter goes to York College of PA and is happy there
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,936 Senior Member
    A concern about Goucher is the low retention rate (below 80%). Losing over 20% of one's first year classmates is painfully obvious & disheartening at a small LAC ( about 1,434 students total).
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,240 Senior Member
    ^^ but this is a transferring student, so at his own school he is one of the 'not retained' students. Hard to criticize another school for not retaining its students.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,936 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    No need to jump from frying pan into the fire.

St. Mary's College of Maryland does award merit scholarship money to incoming transfers. St. Mary's has the feel of a summer camp according to another poster who has visited recently.

P.S. Laughing because I mixed up threads, yet the St. Mary's advice still applies. St. Mary's has just over 1500 students (1,516) and is 58% female. Lots of water & sailing, I believe. Your son will love it !
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,251 Senior Member
    He won't be coming home every weekend from St. Mary's, that's for sure. Gorgeous place but NOT a convenient trip from CT!
  • surfcitysurfcity Registered User Posts: 2,439 Senior Member
    I second the suggestions of Elizabethtown (so friendly!) and Muhlenberg, and Ursinus. Not so much F&M or Gettysburg or Dickinson for this student as described.

Possibly also Susquehanna, York?
  • Bromfield2Bromfield2 Registered User Posts: 3,441 Senior Member
    You might want to have him look at some midwestern LACs. Yes—a little farther afield. Check out: Alma College (MI), Kalamazoo College (MI), Beloit (WI), Earlham (IN), and Knox College (IL). You should have your son visit any schools that interest him, so he can check out the students/campus/academics for himself.