Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

International Health Insurance for Study Abroad

2»

Replies to: International Health Insurance for Study Abroad

• compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,179 Senior Member
    squaremouth.com will filter plans and find the right one....they helped us enable a kid with health issues to go abroad for the summer, at least....
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,807 Senior Member
    as an aside, make sure that you parents (of traveling kids) have up-to-date passports.

I remember a few years ago when a student got into an accident while in Europe and the parents did not have a current passport to get over there. They had to go down to the passport office and wait in line all day for an emergency issue.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,251 Senior Member
    And to add to BlueBayou's excellent post- do NOT keep your passports in a safe deposit box at your trusty local bank.

I have a neighbor whose passport was in the bank over a three day weekend, legal holiday, when the bank was closed.

You don't need to leave your passport on your kitchen table, but it needs to be accessible 24/7 if you have a kid overseas. And check to make sure the date on the passport- you will not be allowed to board the plane if your passport is expiring soon. Your kid may not be critically ill- but even a broken leg, and access to exceptional medical care locally, etc- might require a parent to show up to help the kid pack and come home.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,190 Senior Member
    We made sure both kids overseas took pictures of their passports and uploaded them and gave us electronic copies. So if their phones got stolen or broke (happened to my daughter), they had an emergency copy. They also had extra copies with them... Just in case. Same with insurance cards etc that were important.
  • TS0104TS0104 Registered User Posts: 623 Member
    Thank you guys for the tips on passports. The high school trip does require a couple of copies of the passports and recommends that we have one. And we keep ours accessible....once before a trip, THANK GOD I decided to get the passports out a few days early, we keep them in a lockbox and home and the lock broke while I was opening it!!! If this had been the night before we would have been super stressed out.
2»