Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why is it important to have reach/OOS schools on the list?

Replies to: Why is it important to have reach/OOS schools on the list?

• KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,190 Senior Member
    One thing to do also is to try to narrow down types of schools/fit /feel . Large big ten VS small liberal arts schools or somewhere in between. We live in Chicago so we have many choices to see a varying degrees of colleges and size. Then we knew my daughter really only wanted Small Liberal arts colleges and my son wanted larger like Big Ten schools. Then we looked at majors etc. We visited about 6-8 schools each maybe a few more for my daughter and those were pretty much the school's they applied to adding a few more here and there.

Usnews world report, niche, admission blogs etc etc. Word of mouth, talking to other parents, This crazy site, college data, Naviance, talking to his counselor at school. Actually calling colleges and asking questions. Etc
    As mentioned we had some lower ranked schools that they could get into easily or safeties that gave great merit. It is a little bit of a game
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,868 Senior Member
    If you think she is serious about premed, you might ask her to look at those Texas colleges which offer preferential admission to their own students for theit medical school. TCU does, and maybe UT does now too.
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    My daughters both went to college out of our state (Wisconsin). D1 went to a small private university that I had never heard of before she applied. She learned about it, as well as the other schools to which she applied, using various college guides. One of the main things she was looking for (if not the main thing) was nontraditional grading, e.g., tests not required. The school she attended had this and she thrived there.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,991 Senior Member
    edited February 8
    If your daughter continues to want to follow a path to medical school, going out of state may hinder her chances of an instate medical school.

I've yet to see a med school care which state an applicant's undergrad is in. For schools that have a bias toward their own state (as many TX med schools do), only the applicant's state residency matters - and that doesn't change when one is in college. It's entirely likely that having gone out of state for undergrad could give a TX resident an advantage if the majority of med school applicants stayed in state. Often some sort of diversity is desired - geographical included. In general though, MCAT scores, GPA, ECs, and interviews will matter the most. If there's a geographical component, that would likely tip the scale among otherwise equal applicants.

My own three lads enjoyed going OOS for college and exploring other areas of the country. For two of the three the OOS option was also the cheapest. Those two were homeschooled for 9-12 and 7-12 respectively so that seemed to make no difference.

ETA One of those two is also now in his second year of med school.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,896 Senior Member
    edited February 8
    OP's daughter is a hs freshman. A long way to go before applying to college, much longer to get through college, cement her directions. There are kids from all sorts of colleges who make it to med school. And many who either discover new interests or don't manage to do well enough.

The fact a large number of kids apply from some big names-and get into med school- is not an indication one must go to a big name undergrad.

As for Harvard gpa, it still struggles with the perception it's a grade inflation school. Thst alone isn't enough to get into med school.

The goal should be a college where she can thrive *and* one that's cooperative as opposed to competitive (where they purposely weed out the majority of kids with premed goals.)

But really, this is a 9th grader. Far too soon to be advising on med school. She's probably not even started on healthcare experiences. Let her (and OP) breathe.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 2,004 Senior Member
    "4) Internships, research opportunities matter when choosing undergrad colleges;"

This would be the only reason to choose a more selective college, and pre-meds are encouraged to save money when attending undergrad and that typically means the affordable public in-state school. A blog on admission summarized it well - if med schools think you can be a good doctor, then you're in, regardless of where you went.

"Anecdotally, close friend went Yale undegrad"

There are a lot more people that start out at Yale pre-med that switch out because there's a weed out process, even at Yale. Now if you survive, Yale will help you with med school apps and in come cases admission to their med school.
    Heh, I went to Wayne for undergrad back in the day...... It was always known for psychology and medical.
  • twinsmamatwinsmama Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    The main point is that you need a college that you can afford. It is, obviously, much simpler to know which colleges you can afford and which would be appropriate for your daughter if she stays in your own state. However, if it is important to your daughter to test out another part of the country and if you and (especially) she are willing to put in the work, there are definitely plenty of possibilities. And don't think about med school too hard right now, just about affordable, good quality undergrad. If she decides to go to med school, the main things that will get her in will be excellent grades and MCAT scores. Yes, it does matter where you go to undergrad with regard to individual med schools, but not in the aggregate. Your daughter could look into some of the programs that guarantee med school placement to undergrads who meet certain requirements.
  • emptynesteryetemptynesteryet Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    We went all over visited 20+ schools Emory, Davidson, UR, Wake, Kenyon, Case, Colgate, etc etc etc etc.

We joke now as they were fun trips and all great schools. She picked a small barely top 500 school, no debt, very personal almost old school adcom, very genuine and honest.

She is pre pa or pre med the end game is acceptance to a professional school. With ample time to volunteer, shadow, and enjoy life.......she feared jumping right back into a competitive college might hinder that.

32 ACT 3.91 UW.
  • turtletimeturtletime Registered User Posts: 1,204 Senior Member
    I’d give her an application budget along with a school budget. Require she apply to a true safety she’s willing to go to and then let her choose where to apply to. It may be a more stressful process but it’s her process. Certainly help with research if she’s open to that. She may be dissapointed but as long as she has an affordable something, she will be ok.
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    @jazzymom finding the scholarships tend to be a hunt and peck mission -- it was painful to say the least. I narrowed down 2 ways with my girls -- 1 was a Lacrosse player so we figured out where she could fit from a team standpoint and then started literally looking at each website for merit criteria. Then for my nursing student we found those direct entry programs that seemed to fit her GPA/test scores and again looked at the merit criteria. It was a long process for sure.