Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why is it important to have reach/OOS schools on the list?

Replies to: Why is it important to have reach/OOS schools on the list?

• ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 2,115 Senior Member
    Sometimes getting into reaches are actually about bragging and ego for some students and not serious options for those students. We see quite a few students in Colorado applying to one college, getting in and done. Their life in 12th grade is stress free and they can focus better on their 12th grade subjects, which is really key to doing well in the freshman year of college. Some colleges here are on rolling admission and students get admitted November of the 12th grade year or even late October ! . There is no reason to apply to out of state schools, if there is no ego involved and if your daughter does not want to attend them, and you don't want to pay the application fees, although you can waive those fees perhaps.

Getting into medical school is taking a set of math, physics, chemistry and biology classes, and understanding the material, and also a lot about the exact clinical or medical research experiences that a student finds. Also there are many options today including doctor of osteopath that are much easier then MD programs for admission. the DO programs require a much lower MCAT score. PA programs require the GRE and seem more competitive these days.

Texas has amazing school options, but sometimes out of state options work out less expensive, but they are usually not very highly ranked colleges. Look at U of Oklahoma, and U of Tulsa, they may work out to be less than U of Texas in Austin for instance, if she can win merit. If she scores high on the PSAT, there will be totally free options. UT Dallas is one that offers high merit, although its somewhat of a commuter school, Coloradans can attend UT Dallas for less than in state at U of Colorado.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 4,991 Senior Member
    Also there are many options today including doctor of osteopath that are much easier then MD programs for admission. the DO programs require a much lower MCAT score.

Be super wary of this option. DO and MD graduates aren't viewed the same when it comes to residencies - a much needed part of becoming a doctor. Read post #199 and #120 of this thread posted by @WayOutWestMom and @artloversplus respectively.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/2083706-2018-19-medical-school-applicants-and-their-parents.html#latest
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,866 Senior Member
    doctor of osteopath that are much easier then MD programs for admission.

I think that's overstating the situation--

Median matriculating MD stats:
    cGPA = 3.72 MCAT= 511
    # of applicants = 52,777 # of matriculants = 21,622
    Acceptance rate = 41%

Median matriculating DO stats:
    cGPA=3.56 MCAT=503
    # of applicants =20,836 # of matriculants = 6778
    Acceptance rate = 32.5%

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf
    https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/gme-special-report-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=dfb22c97_6

DO applicants have, on average, slightly lower stats, but the competition for a seat is stronger.
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 2,038 Senior Member
    There are clusters of well-known universities that give significant oos aid in the south (FSU, Alabama, Mississippi, Miss St., LSU, Kentucky, S. Carolina, etc), & in the plains states ( big public universities in Ok, Neb, Iowa, Kansas). The amount of aid at these schools is heavily dependent on grades & SAT/ACT scores, and extra-curriculars are usually irrelevant.
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    When our kids were applying to college, I told them that the most important decision they had to make was to identify a SAFETY that they would be willing to attend. We weren't concerned about a "financial safety." Just a college they would like and could readily be admitted to.

For #1 this was easy -- instate flagships -- and he got into them with nice merit awards. His overall GPA and outstanding test scores did the trick. However, he preferred to attend college in a large city ("major league," as he put it -- with major league sports). And that's where he ended up -- out of state (UChicago). But having the in-state backups made this process a low-stress one (especially for his parents) and allowed him to continue to focus on his favorite EC's more than on his college applications.

For #2 this wasn't so easy because she didn't want to apply to instate colleges even as backups. As she put it, "In college I don't want to find myself sitting next to kids from my high school." She wanted instead to attend a dedicated art school, preferably in a "real city in the East." And that's where she ended up (at RISD), though she had to convince herself that Providence was "enough of a real city." However, although she was admitted to all the schools she applied to, she didn't have a true safety in part because she didn't know if her portfolio was good enough for highly ranked art schools. She had told us that if she wasn't admitted to any of the art schools, she'd spent a year at a local community college and focus on improving her design skills. This alternative plan scared the cr*p out of her parents.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,435 Forum Champion
    My DD didn't want to go in-state...but when to a good value out of state..in the next state over.

How far out of state does she want to be?

Some issues:

1) How is the weather compared to where you are?
    2) How easy is it to get home for holidays?
    3) Is home or college airport in a snowy zone which delays transit?
    4) How expensive is it to travel home?
    5) How often would they like to visit home? May not be able to go home for say, fall break if it is too $$
    6) How likely is it that your child will need to come home/need to you to visit? do they have anxiety, etc?
    7) OOS public schools will be more expensive than In state. Private schools will be the same
    8) Has your child had experience with being away from home? e.g, camps or band trips or the like?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,730 Senior Member
    mackinaw wrote:
    She had told us that if she wasn't admitted to any of the art schools, she'd spent a year at a local community college and focus on improving her design skills. This alternative plan scared the cr*p out of her parents.

What was so scary about starting at a community college? Seems like she had a true safety plan.
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    She was qualified to get into major 4-year colleges. (In fact she got into Carnegie Mellon.) At those she could also have obtained the skills and training that she would get at the community college, but she'd have a broader curriculum that would build her credentials even more.

Since graduating from RISD the "+" in the art-plus curriculum has formed an important component of her career in environmental design. After working in the economy in industrial design for several years, she even went on to earn an MBA to take the next career step.
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 2,038 Senior Member
    @bopper. It's amazing how many people I hear on CC & in person who agree with your #7 ...that oos publics will necessarily be more expensive than your in-state options. Sometimes that is true, but not always. It depends on which state you are from, which oos colleges you are applying to, & what your grades & test scores are.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 31,461 Senior Member
    @bopper and if you throw getting a National Merit award in there - some OOS colleges are much cheaper than the instate options.

Also I think once you are getting on a plane a college that is in a major hub will be a lot easier to get to than one that on paper seems a lot closer.

I don't think it's important for every student to have OOS or reach colleges on their list. But each student should do their homework. For my CS guy Berkeley would have been a better choice than a SUNY. (But he didn't apply because OOS it was more expensive than some of his private options.) Both my kids I think needed the challenge of a reach college and they thrived. But my older son's best friend had a miserable time at Princeton where he felt like a dummy.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,435 Forum Champion
    #7 What I meant is that your average OOS Public will be more expensive than your In-state.
    How many "I want to go to UCLA" posts have we seen from people not knowing they have to pay 60K for that.
    If you can find a cheaper OOS, awesome!!!
  • NhatrangNhatrang Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    @jazzymomof7

I think the fact that you have 7 kids (if I am not mistaken from your post?), that changes my opinion quite a bit. One has to be realistic about what we can afford, so I completely understand your hesitation. There are so many good reasons to do OOS as many has stated. But at the end of the day, it shouldn’t be done at such high cost (punch intended). You have 5 other children to put through college! Unless your husband is making a ton of money, I can’t see spending more than 200-275K a year on 1 child.

We have 2 kids, our DD is a senior. DD loves to travel and meet new people. She has always known since a little girl that she wants to go far away for college. DH and I joked that whatever college she goes to, we have to “fly” to visit her. We live in the East coast now but Hubby and I graduated from UC Berkeley 22 years ago (PhD and BS respectively). So we have taken them to CA countless times and naturally she applied to a bunch of UCs, hoping to get into UCB or UCLA (She got into UMich which she also loves, and a few other safeties where we are). For the OOS we are looking at close to 275K to send her there. We put away $500/month for her 529 account, 17 years later and we are still a little shy of 275K. DD got the UCLA alumni scholarship invite, if awarded and it’s a big IF, she would have about 2-8K over 4 years, pocket change for what we to pay in the end. But at this point she is so very tired to all the essays she has to write (also writing 2 UMich Honors essay). I know I sound whiny but I do know that it’s a good problem to have.

I don’t know what’s the point of my second paragraph there, I guess I just wanted to share/vent, and that OOS can be so very expensive. I don’t even know how we would be doing it with 7 kids! Good luck to you and your family!
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 30,896 Senior Member
    edited February 13
    And kids change, through high school. It's often said, but when you get to senior fall, most of us see that. Early on, D1 wanted to go as far away as possible. In the end, she applied to schools about 3-5 hours away, a possible drive. I had been worried about the cost and timing of getting to her, if needed. One great midwest college described a flight to Chicago, a connection to the closest city, a 45 min bus ride, then a local taxi to campus. Uh, nope. Add TSA and you're talking an all-day thing.

We had also looked at one of my all-time favorites in the south- and much as D1 also loved it, she realized how much the area was a culture shift from New England. (With the geo diversity in so many colleges, that's not a big issue, today. But it mattered to her. She realized that day that she was very much a northerner.)