Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

Replies to: Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

• TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College Posts: 2,096 Forum Champion
    edited February 13
    Vassar is one of the two colleges I know best, so I may have highlighted more incidents from them because I knew of more of them!

But, as it happens, many of the Vassar students I have known personally, including two of my relatives- an ancient grad and a more recent grad, and two students from my son’s high school who went there recently, have been Jewish. (Vassar has more Jews than some of its LAC peers.)

The students I know have been happy and comfortable there.

And when I toured in 2016, our tour guide was the head of a Jewish organization on campus. He sounded very happy at Vassar. After the tour, I asked him privately about his experience there as a Jew, and he said that part of the reason he became a tour guide was to help dispel the image some people had, after a Wall Stree Journal piece, of Vassar as a bad place for Jews. He was having a great college experience and wanted the world to know it!

I think the change of president since then has helped, too. It helps to have someone at the top willing to confront prejudice in all forms and against any group.

The more liberal colleges may have more anti-Israel protests, but they also are probably a much more welcoming atmospheres for Jews, and have higher numbers of Jews, than many other colleges across the country.
  • Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 550 Member
    My nephews friend is a student at Towson. He was out at night with a couple friends on campus, returning to their dorm - they belong to a Jewish frat. A group of guys started yelling slurs at them and then confronted them physically. This friend was beat up pretty good and needed medical attention. His parents were so frightened and angry. This happened I guess about two years ago. I know this school has had more recent issues. Just so disheartening and infuriating.
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College Posts: 2,096 Forum Champion
    @Leigh22 , That is really, really scary.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    I think we ought to acknowledge that, especially at traditional elite LACs like Vassar and Oberlin where lots of Jews attend, Jewish students are responsible for a great deal of the ferment that gets labeled as antisemitic by the organizations that like to conflate criticism of Israel with antisemitism. College-age Jews who are not from Orthodox communities are far from unified in support for the current Israeli government and its policies, and even in support for Zionism as a concept. That's not the same thing at all as Leigh22's story about Towson (which I hadn't heard about, and sounds horrific).
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,074 Senior Member
    JHS wrote:
    These days, neither "Zionism" nor "anti-Zionism" describes a single specific, coherent position and set of principles. Each can be used as a label for a wide variety of mutually inconsistent analyses.

Of course, when a label that has no consistently understood definition is used an epithet to label opponents, the effect is more to incite than to enlighten.
  • pilot2012pilot2012 Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    The Tree Of Life Synagogue tragedy happened in our backyard. The fluff/trivial condemnation of Omar's pernicious, comment underscores that Anti-Semitism is alive and well. Very disconcerting.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 967 Member
    edited February 13
    " But there are any number of people who are committed Jews who do not regard preserving Israel as a "Jewish state" as a positive value."

So long as the same people are supporting the establishment of Palestine as a Palestinian Muslim state, this is antisemitism, since it is declaring that only Judaism and only Jews are not worthy or recognition either as an ethnicity or as a religious group, nor do they deserve anything resembling a national homeland. Since the history of Jews as an ethnic/religious minority has never been good, long term, this is also claiming that Jews deserve oppression.

As for the rest - I've already written just how the left's claims regarding Israel and European colonialism are blatant attempts to erase Jewish culture, especially that of the Mizrahi majority of Israeli Jews.

PS. I am a supporter of the two-state solution, BTW, and support the idea of a Palestinian state.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,926 Senior Member
    edited February 13
    The problem with a two state solution is the definition of it. Israel will never give up the Golan Heights, period. Jordan doesn't want Israel to give up the Golan Heights. It is literally their security blanket per se. Rockets would be that much closer to Tela Viv etc etc. Not happening.

I would love to see the education change on Palestine territories. Teaching children to hate in kindergarten books through college needs to stop. There is Birthright for many young Jews to go to Israel paid by Israel and learn etc. I really would like to see educated students from Gaza /West Bank do the same tour with Jewish Students and people from around the world. Many have no clue about what Israel really is, just the propaganda they see on state TV. Yes, the internet changes some of this but not enough. Educating each other and talking about differences has to start somewhere. Saudia Arabia and Jordan work with Israel behind the scenes. We need more of this in front of the camera.
  • tpike12tpike12 Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    @pilot2012 - Omar got slammed immediately from the entire political establishment and was forced to make a hostage style apology. I'm not sure how you are seeing this as a trivial commendation.

She has made other comments that seem to reveal her anti-semitism, this one not so much. After all, is noticing that AIPAC and US Jews heavily influence US politics really that outrageous? US Jews make over 50% of the donations to the Democractic Party and 25% to the Republican Party. Plus, other than the State of the Union, no other event attracts more members of Congress than the AIPAC conference. The political establishment loves money and there are a lot of Jewish billionaires.
    Please let me phrase my sentence above differently. "I would love to see the education change IN Palestine territories"

In other words, stop Hamas from educating the children to hate jews.
    Omar is on the foreign affairs committee that governs Israel and other countries. She is being asked to resign since it's clear she can not be impartial.
  • pilot2012pilot2012 Registered User Posts: 236 Junior Member
    @tpike12 -- I don't want to derail this thread. Not "commendation" -- condemnation. Her censure should take into account not only this instance, but as you point out her previous "other comments." I'm won't comment on the Jewish billionaires and its nuanced stereotype.